Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hi Jazzz,

I am a finalist to Egypt (research grant) and I have the exact same worry. Back at the beginning of February I emailed Jermaine Jones and he told me for the moment, everything was going ahead as scheduled, but if the situation were to change, the grant wouldn't just be cancelled -- we could either go later, or be offered a place in a different country, etc. I copied his response below. I would say go ahead and email your questions, the IIE people have been so nice and helpful so far. I'll probably check in with him again next month or so to see if the Fulbright for next year is still going as planned in Egypt....

Here's what Jermaine said. Hpe this helps!!

"Clearly a lot can happen between now and when the 2011/2012 year would start this coming fall.If you were to be offered a grant, and the situation in Egypt were to reach a level where it was deemed unsafe for you to either begin or continue your research there, you’d be given full and clear guidance on how to proceed from the Egyptian Fulbright Commission, U.S. Department of State, and IIE. Going into the various possibilities—e.g., waiting or coming back to the U.S. before heading [back] to Egypt to start or resume your grant, transfer to a different country in the region, etc., —now might be a bit overwhelming, so I’ll just reiterate that should you be offered a grant, you’d certainly be kept up to date on any safety/security concerns that would impinge upon it."

Thanks, Ranita--I had the same concerns. I applied to Bahrain and have been following all of the developments in the region. Please keep us updated if you hear from Jermaine Jones again.

Korea ETA Finalist here... Hello everyone!

We've made it through Feb... how much longer will we wait? Crossing my fingers for all the finalists!

Heeey! I'm a Korea ETA finalist too! I hope we have a good chance of getting it because they take so many students.

Heeey! I'm a Korea ETA finalist too! I hope we have a good chance of getting it because they take so many students.

Hey I am also Korea ETA finalist. I heard Korea already met up and made their selection o.O Don't know how true this is but we should hear earlier than expected. From there, we will be forwarded to Foreign Affairs for scholarships but by then we are already chosen to go to Korea

Hey I am also Korea ETA finalist. I heard Korea already met up and made their selection o.O Don't know how true this is but we should hear earlier than expected. From there, we will be forwarded to Foreign Affairs for scholarships but by then we are already chosen to go to Korea

Hehe, this forum just got so Korea intense! Tweety how did you find out that Korea already made their decision? It just seems odd because what if you weren't able to send in your transcript until today? I hope this means we'll get the news by next month though.

Hey I just got this email,

"...I am writing today to update you on the status of your application for a Fulbright Canada award. As you know, you have been recommended for a 2011-2012 Fulbright Canada award. Please note that there are still several steps in the process. At this point, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a Fulbright Canada award. As you can appreciate, the Selection Committees recommend more candidates in any given competition than we can realistically fund. The Canada-U.S. Fulbright Program normally announces results on or about April 15th and will inform the IIE of the applicants’ status at that time. At this point, we are requesting that all recommended candidates provide basic background information for our records...."

I just want to know if people know what the, "Please note that there are still several steps in the process.", means.

Hehe, this forum just got so Korea intense! Tweety how did you find out that Korea already made their decision? It just seems odd because what if you weren't able to send in your transcript until today? I hope this means we'll get the news by next month though.

I can't say how I know lol but that's what I heard to be honest but of course it's what I heard. They met pretty early this year lol well I will let you know when I hear something back lol

It could be rumors but if either of us get a response then I can tell you who and how I heard this. Remember it can be just rumors lol but I am reading the 2007-2008 Fulbirhgt Korea's ETA handbook just in case I am a finalist FINALIST lol :)

Ranita,

Thanks for posting- that helps put me at ease! He's right, a lot can happen in a short amount of time. Let's keep our fingers crossed! Good luck :)

I can't stand waiting anymore. I have absolutely no backup plan so I'm super anxious about it. I also graduated in December so I have nothing to keep me occupied once I finish traveling in two weeks, haha! Although thankfully up until now time has passed super fast. I hope we find out this month!

<br />Hi Jazzz,<br /><br />I am a finalist to Egypt (research grant) and I have the exact same worry. Back at the beginning of February  I emailed Jermaine Jones and he told me for the moment, everything was going ahead as scheduled, but if the situation were to change, the grant wouldn't just be cancelled -- we could either go later, or be offered a place in a different country, etc. I copied his response below. I would say go ahead and email your questions, the IIE people have been so nice and helpful so far. I'll probably check in with him again next month or so to see if the Fulbright for next year is still going as planned in Egypt....<br /><br />Here's what Jermaine said. Hpe this helps!!<br /><br />&quot;Clearly a lot can happen between now and when the 2011/2012 year would start this coming fall.If you were to be offered a grant, and the situation in Egypt were to reach a level where it was deemed unsafe for you to either begin or continue your research there,  you’d be given full and clear guidance on how to proceed from the Egyptian Fulbright Commission, U.S. Department of State, and IIE. Going into the various possibilities—e.g., waiting or coming back to the U.S. before heading [back] to Egypt to start or resume your grant, transfer to a different country in the region, etc., —now might be a bit overwhelming, so I’ll just reiterate that should you be offered a grant, you’d certainly be kept up to date on any safety/security concerns that would impinge upon it.&quot;<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I hope it's true!!! I'm a Korea ETA finalist as well and at this point the wait is killing me!

I can't say how I know lol but that's what I heard to be honest but of course it's what I heard. They met pretty early this year lol well I will let you know when I hear something back lol

It could be rumors but if either of us get a response then I can tell you who and how I heard this. Remember it can be just rumors lol but I am reading the 2007-2008 Fulbirhgt Korea's ETA handbook just in case I am a finalist FINALIST lol :)

Mongolia finalist here too (full grant) :) I wonder when we'll find out!

Congrats to everyone that made it to the second/ final round! I am a finalist for an ETA to Mongolia. Any other Mongolian applicants (full or ETA)?

Hilarious story that I'm sure many of you can empathize with: just got a package notification from the U.S. State Department (my building e-mails us when we have something delivered to the mail room) so naturally I flipped out thinking it was my Fulbright stuff and ran downstairs only to find... my new passport is here. Not quite as exciting.

Ugh, am I the only one who's getting a little tired not knowing what country I'll be living in next year -- much less which city? (It probably doesn't help that I've received nothing more positive than wait-lists so far in my quest for an English PhD, which is the back-up plan if Fulbright falls through...)

Ugh, am I the only one who's getting a little tired not knowing what country I'll be living in next year -- much less which city? (It probably doesn't help that I've received nothing more positive than wait-lists so far in my quest for an English PhD, which is the back-up plan if Fulbright falls through...)

Agreed. And last year, they found out the same week that is my spring break this year. Meaning, I'll probably spend my entire vacation wondering what's in my mailbox back home.

Anyone else on this forum planning on taking families/dependents? Just wondering how others are preparing. I'll be taking my spouse, 5 yr old and 2 yr old.

...waiting on that large white envelope.

Anyone else on this forum planning on taking families/dependents? Just wondering how others are preparing. I'll be taking my spouse, 5 yr old and 2 yr old.

My husband would come with me. He's being a total trooper but hates the waiting game as much as I do. Do spouses automatically get visas or does that vary by country? I really hope he'd be able to work...

My husband would come with me. He's being a total trooper but hates the waiting game as much as I do. Do spouses automatically get visas or does that vary by country? I really hope he'd be able to work...

I am hoping to bring my will-be husband with me, but in the interview I had with the host location, they asked me some questions that make me think that it's not as simple as I thought it'd be. I thought that if you applied and on the application said you'd bring a dependent, then they'd be able to go with you (and if they wouldn't be allowed to, then your application wouldn't make it far). I was caught completely off-guard. Now I'm worried that there's a chance I'll get the grant but that he won't be able to come with me...

yikes...that just made me nervous, Lulu. I would have assumed the same.

My wife is as anxious (probably more) I am about all this.

Thankfully my nation's academic year doesn't start until October so there's some time.

Ready for the waiting to be over. Too much to think about.....loss of job, need to sell home(?), how to transport kids that far without driving them or my wife and I insane. ;-)

https://spreadsheets...Ow6bHdhYA#gid=0

just posting last year's spread sheet so that we don't have to go digging through the post pages to find it ^.^ It will probably have to be posted again as it gets buried lol!

Hi,

When I click on the link, I get a spreadsheet but all of the tabs are almost completely blank; do you know why that might be?

Thanks,

CB

I am planning on taking my hubby to be and our daughter. From what I understand when we receive confirmation that we have received the grant it is up to us to obtain a dependant's visa for those accompanying. I gather rom what I've been told that the possibility of them being able to work is rather slim. But it depends on the country you're going to I'd imagine. maybe if they casn line up work once you're there you can have your visa changed. It's the old chicken or egg thing - you need a job lined up to get the visa, but you need the visa to get the job line up. wa wa waaaaa....

I know what you mean about the whole waiting on the small white envelope... I've been denied a lotof international type programs because I have a family I'd like to bring along. It's very upsetting.

Agreed. And last year, they found out the same week that is my spring break this year. Meaning, I'll probably spend my entire vacation wondering what's in my mailbox back home.

Hah, I'm the opposite. My program notifies before I start Spring Break (in a week and a half, shit!), and apparently usually sends mail to the permanent address, which right now is my parents' house rather than my college address. So they are the ones who will be doing the dreaded daily walk to the mailbox...and I'm going to be dreading their phone call.

Although, if the UK notify late, there's also a chance that I could get that parental phone call while I'm in New York/Princeton/Cambridge pleading with the graduate schools who have me waitlisted. I feel like an emo teenager again. NO ONE UNDERSTANDS MY PAIN, etc.

I am planning on taking my hubby to be and our daughter. From what I understand when we receive confirmation that we have received the grant it is up to us to obtain a dependant's visa for those accompanying. I gather rom what I've been told that the possibility of them being able to work is rather slim. But it depends on the country you're going to I'd imagine..

I think it widely depends on the country you are going to, I would take my wife and kids. Only info I have found on Germany is the following from the German Fulbright website:

Visa Regulations

For longer stays in Germany – as with a Fulbright grant – you must obtain a residence permit from a local Foreign Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) after arriving in Germany. This permit is in lieu of a visa. The Commission will help you with the residence permit and explain matters during the orientation conferences upon arrival in Germany. In other words: You as an American Fulbright grantee can and should enter Germany with just a valid passport. We recommend not applying for a visa in the U.S. If you have family members with non-U.S. passports, please check with the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Washington, D.C. (see List of Contacts, Part C), or with the German consulate in your area.