Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

oy, outright rejected...i have to admit, i was surprised i didn't get at least alternate, having had a phone interview w/ the UK commission..but there you go. hurts even more than i thought it would! time to move on to the next aspiration, right? thanks for everyone's help and support the last couple months and, truly, good luck to all other hopefuls on here!

Oh goodness! I similarly thought that having a phone interview would at least lead to an alternate spot sad.gif ...did the letter happen to give any reasons for rejection?

Best of luck to you! Thank you for your help!

oy, outright rejected...i have to admit, i was surprised i didn't get at least alternate, having had a phone interview w/ the UK commission..but there you go. hurts even more than i thought it would! time to move on to the next aspiration, right? thanks for everyone's help and support the last couple months and, truly, good luck to all other hopefuls on here!

I am so sorry to hear that! I wish you the best of luck.

So I just found out that the stipend for Finland is only 1000 euros/month. Sad.

Isn't that pretty good? But then again, those Norwegian countries have a higher standard of living. I heard Germany was only 750 Euros ... which is like nothing ... but maybe it's more? Does anyone know how much the stipends are for different countries?

Isn't that pretty good? But then again, those Norwegian countries have a higher standard of living. I heard Germany was only 750 Euros ... which is like nothing ... but maybe it's more? Does anyone know how much the stipends are for different countries?

Germany is 800 Euros per month for ETA. I believe it's a little bit more for a full grant. But hey...as an ETA you only have to work 15-20 hours per week!

I plan on finding additional employment, should I receive the grant, to supplement everything.

Depending on where you live, I'm hoping for Berlin personally, cost of living in Germany isn't bad at all.

Germany is 800 Euros per month for ETA. I believe it's a little bit more for a full grant. But hey...as an ETA you only have to work 15-20 hours per week!

I plan on finding additional employment, should I receive the grant, to supplement everything.

Depending on where you live, I'm hoping for Berlin personally, cost of living in Germany isn't bad at all.

Oh! That sounds much better. And yes, Berlin is extremely doable on 800 Euros! Dunno about the West, like in Cologne and Bonn, where I'll be. I mean, if you wanted to eat a döner every night for dinner like my friend did for two weeks, you can definitely save money ... but I'm not so sure about saving your health ... haha.

Oh! That sounds much better. And yes, Berlin is extremely doable on 800 Euros! Dunno about the West, like in Cologne and Bonn, where I'll be. I mean, if you wanted to eat a döner every night for dinner like my friend did for two weeks, you can definitely save money ... but I'm not so sure about saving your health ... haha.

Just finished a semester in Mainz, and more than enjoyed myself under 800 per month.

List of expenses off the top of my head:

Single Bedroom Apartment with utilities - 350 Euros per month (if you know what Uni you'll be studying/researching at and have already secured admission, contact them immediately in regards to student dorms.)

Food - 100 Euros per month (I'm a meat and potatoes guy, which, essentially, means that I eat rather cheaply. Guess that's also effects of college life)

That's it, actually. Wow. I should also say I partied waaaay too much and, therefore, spent simply too much money on...party supplies.

I think that's more than doable, myself, especially if additional employment is secured. Don't know how things are in other countries, but everything will be just fine in Germany. :)

I'm pretty sure you cannot accept outside money while on a Fulbright:

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/documents/resources/Terms_Conditions.pdf

(item number 3)

Just finished a semester in Mainz, and more than enjoyed myself under 800 per month.

List of expenses off the top of my head:

Single Bedroom Apartment with utilities - 350 Euros per month (if you know what Uni you'll be studying/researching at and have already secured admission, contact them immediately in regards to student dorms.)

Food - 100 Euros per month (I'm a meat and potatoes guy, which, essentially, means that I eat rather cheaply. Guess that's also effects of college life)

That's it, actually. Wow. I should also say I partied waaaay too much and, therefore, spent simply too much money on...party supplies.

I think that's more than doable, myself, especially if additional employment is secured. Don't know how things are in other countries, but everything will be just fine in Germany. :)

I'll be in Bonn, a definite college town, so I think I should be okay. It's kind of funny. I contacted the prof who I want to work with and he was telling me how everyone rides their bicycle since it's a "small town". Only in Germany would they say a small town is 200k+ people! Ha! If he only knew my college town was 24,000 INCL the students ...

And party supplies? That sounds like money well-spent. biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure you cannot accept outside money while on a Fulbright:

https://us.fulbright..._Conditions.pdf

(item number 3)

Hmm. Never seen this information before.

I meant actually working. For instance, I know several Americans in Germany making a living teaching English. Would this count as a "source" providing "duplicating benefits"? I believe somewhere in this thread, or a thread from last year, stated that people are allowed to work up until 1400 Euros per month.

Thanks for the link!

Hmm. Never seen this information before.

I meant actually working. For instance, I know several Americans in Germany making a living teaching English. Would this count as a "source" providing "duplicating benefits"? I believe somewhere in this thread, or a thread from last year, stated that people are allowed to work up until 1400 Euros per month.

Thanks for the link!

I can't say for sure, might be worth asking the Germany contact person about. But I would think the idea is that you spend your time working on your project, not making money by spending time on other work/employment.

So I just found out that the stipend for Finland is only 1000 euros/month. Sad.

Jon, where did you see this? I got the acceptance in the mail, but have not seen anything about the actual grant. Where will you be in Finland?

Have any of you heard of a home U.S. institution maintaining funding (i.e. assistantship) during the Fulbright abroad? This would increase income, but probably only available to Doctoral students doing dissertation work with the Fulbright.

Here is the Mercer most expensive cities list. It's is somewhat helpful in figuring out, just how expensive various cities will be.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdEpORkVwN2plQ1lLV0pVQ0xES1p3aEE#gid=1

Jon, where did you see this? I got the acceptance in the mail, but have not seen anything about the actual grant. Where will you be in Finland?

The breakdown for the Finnish Fulbright grant is all on their website: http://www.fulbright.fi/index2.php?lang=en&m=3&id=1607

Looks like it states there that it's 1000 to 1200 euros/month plus a travel allowance

Have any of you heard of a home U.S. institution maintaining funding (i.e. assistantship) during the Fulbright abroad? This would increase income, but probably only available to Doctoral students doing dissertation work with the Fulbright.

Actually I thought I read in that document about additional funding that you could not have funding for a PhD and Fulbright at the same time...

Anybody else waiting for Mexico?

Yes, the IIE office in NY contacted me yesterday about verifying one of my transcripts. It appears they are just going through the final procedures before the letters go out. I think we'll hear from them no later than the end of next week. I'll put my info up on the spreadsheet before the day is over. Suerte!

Actually I thought I read in that document about additional funding that you could not have funding for a PhD and Fulbright at the same time...

Skyfire, Do you remember if that doc was online?

I searched "site:us.fulbrightonline.org additional funding" and couldn't really find any specifics other than this statement: The allowance provides some funding for research, books, and/or supplies. Grantees with projects that require extensive research support, in-country travel, study materials, or equipment should explore additional funding from other sources to supplement the Fulbright funding

Edit: I found the 2011 brochure that states:

 Funds from Other Sources. Funds from other scholarships, fellowships, or grants in dollars or foreign currencies received concurrently with a Fulbright grant will be deducted if they duplicate benefits under the Fulbright grant. But, if such grants are for assistance in meeting family expenses of grantees or other expenses not covered by the Fulbright grant, no deduction will be made. Grantees may not accept remunerative work abroad during the period of the grant without prior approval of the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in the host country.

It seems vague at best. Seems to indicate they want to know what other funds you have so they can make final approval

Edited by LOfi

Skyfire, Do you remember if that doc was online?

I searched "site:us.fulbrightonline.org additional funding" and couldn't really find any specifics other than this statement: The allowance provides some funding for research, books, and/or supplies. Grantees with projects that require extensive research support, in-country travel, study materials, or equipment should explore additional funding from other sources to supplement the Fulbright funding

Edit: I found the 2011 brochure that states:

 Funds from Other Sources. Funds from other scholarships, fellowships, or grants in dollars or foreign currencies received concurrently with a Fulbright grant will be deducted if they duplicate benefits under the Fulbright grant. But, if such grants are for assistance in meeting family expenses of grantees or other expenses not covered by the Fulbright grant, no deduction will be made. Grantees may not accept remunerative work abroad during the period of the grant without prior approval of the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in the host country.

It seems vague at best. Seems to indicate they want to know what other funds you have so they can make final approval

Yeah I think the issue is when your additional funding DUPLICATES the funding from Fulbright. For example, if your additional funding is to cover housing, which Fulbright already covers, it is a duplicate source of funding. However, if your research requires you to buy some costly microscope, which isn't covered by Fulbright, then it's ok. Or if they provide funding for dependents which is also not covered by Fulbright in many countries, then it's ok.

For ETAs, do you know if this additional approval would be necessary to advertise yourself as an English tutor/for other odd jobs to finance extra travel within Europe while on the grant? Seems like it could go either way from the description there.

For ETAs, do you know if this additional approval would be necessary to advertise yourself as an English tutor/for other odd jobs to finance extra travel within Europe while on the grant? Seems like it could go either way from the description there.

That's the thing.

I think they're purposely vague because, while they can't tell you "NO! You can't find a second job to supplement your monthly wage!" they don't want you pulling 40 hour shifts working as an English tutor neither.

It all depends upon the Visa, I think. If your Visa stipulates you can only work/receive a wage for a certain amount of hours per week then that takes care of itself.

I won't fret about anything until I know I've actually received the grant, but it's definitely something to think about.

Bear in mind most ETAs work 12-20 hours per week, which doesn't include lesson planning, so I'd think it also depends upon work ethic as well. I'm not doing it to make money, but I do want to be pretty comfortable!