Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Just got a response from Rachel- she says they "hope" to have the Iceland letters out next week, whatever that means. Guess we can give the mailbox a rest for a few days!

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. I hope 'next week' means Monday...but probably not.

Whoever created the spreadsheet should just do away with it, everything is fucked up and people keep messing with it. It's gotten retarded. Bleh

I fixed the first two rows. It's not f-ed up. Yes it is when stupid people do stupid things. How about you just don't look at the retarded spreadsheet?

That's another option than doing away with it. There are some people still waiting for notifications who can use this "retarded" tool.

Nope, my coordinator emailed me back today after I asked saying they do not rank them that way and that no specific ranking system is used when promoting alternates from alternate to principal and that many factors are considered when they make that decision. So anyone trying to get ranking or idea which "number" they are, will be doing so in vain.

Just hang in there!

I wonder what the factors are then. I just thought that they would have had a list of people already ordered so they don't have to send alternate applications back to the countries to have them looked at again when a principal candidate declines an award. I thought the countries decided who is selected? When you are taken off of the alternate list does your program manager email you or is it someone else?

I really hope there aren't like 20 or 30 alternates for Indonesia. There are 35 awards. Certainly they don't expect that most of the principal candidates would decline?

Whoever created the spreadsheet should just do away with it, everything is fucked up and people keep messing with it. It's gotten retarded. Bleh

This comment is totally uncalled for. Crimson is doing an awesome job and I for one am really grateful to him for keep continually fixing the spreadsheet.

I found the white envelope waiting for me in my mailbox this evening. I have been designated as an alternate for Sweden.

Here's to enduring the wait and hoping that a full grant will come through!

I think someone may have purposely or accidentally filled out the acceptance and rejection columns on the spreadsheet. Someone had filled in that I had been rejected to Vietnam and I have not heard any word yet! I hope this is not a bad omen!

I think someone may have purposely or accidentally filled out the acceptance and rejection columns on the spreadsheet. Someone had filled in that I had been rejected to Vietnam and I have not heard any word yet! I hope this is not a bad omen!

Hmm, something happened with the grant type column ... I'll have to investigate ... b/c now I have nothing filled out while people who haven't heard have a grant type when they obviously haven't heard ...

EDIT: So I had to revert back to a spreadsheet a few hours ago. I know people entered information ... but I guess they can easily re-enter! And check your info guys! Thanks!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AriON5PQlVdtdHlKMUhJYlo0bEVXREcxdlJVYUFibnc&hl=en&authkey=CNHpkd4P

Edited by crimsonengineer87

I fixed the first two rows. It's not f-ed up. Yes it is when stupid people do stupid things. How about you just don't look at the retarded spreadsheet?

That's another option than doing away with it. There are some people still waiting for notifications who can use this "retarded" tool.

If this were facebook, I would totally "like" this comment! You tell 'em crimson!

Did any Russia applicants get their decisions yet? I saw an earlier post that they were mailed out on Monday. I live in the Midwest, but they should have arrived by now. I don't know if this means I was rejected and it takes longer for our rejection letters to be sent? Do ALL the decisions get sent out at the same time?

I haven't heard anything yet. Where did you see that decisions were mailed on Monday?

Did any Russia applicants get their decisions yet? I saw an earlier post that they were mailed out on Monday. I live in the Midwest, but they should have arrived by now. I don't know if this means I was rejected and it takes longer for our rejection letters to be sent? Do ALL the decisions get sent out at the same time?

I haven't heard anything yet. Where did you see that decisions were mailed on Monday?

Someone several pages back in this thread said Rachel told them they were mailed out Monday or something. I've been sitting on the edge of my seat since. Gosh, this is horrible. I wish they would just give the decisions out by email.

If this were facebook, I would totally "like" this comment! You tell 'em crimson!

I don't understand why people are upset by cavalier08's comment. I think she/he was just expressing annoyance because someone keeps messing up the spreadsheet (something we can all understand) and people have been misinterpreting her/his expression as mean-spirited. I'm sure it was not.

Someone several pages back in this thread said Rachel told them they were mailed out Monday or something. I've been sitting on the edge of my seat since. Gosh, this is horrible. I wish they would just give the decisions out by email.

Rachel had emailed me on Tuesday that the letters were sent out that morning (Tuesday morning). Hopefully they'll be here today!! I'm also in the midwest, so I feel your pain.

I don't understand why people are upset by cavalier08's comment. I think she/he was just expressing annoyance because someone keeps messing up the spreadsheet (something we can all understand) and people have been misinterpreting her/his expression as mean-spirited. I'm sure it was not.

Well, hopefully, he/she didn't have those type of intentions. Maybe I was just frustrated that someone wouldn't see this spreadsheet as useful, despite the fact people enjoy messing it up.

In other news, the gov't didn't shut down!

Regardless of intention, it was incredibly rude to Crimsonengineer, who has put in hours of work into something that we have all benefited from at no cost to us. I'm embarrassed that someone who is educated well enough to make it as far as a Fulbright finalist would chose to use an offensive, ableist word like "retarded.' I suppose it's just further proof that the anonymity of the internet allows people to show their true colors without fear of consequences.

Thanks, Crimson, for all your hard work. :)

This comment is totally uncalled for. Crimson is doing an awesome job and I for one am really grateful to him for keep continually fixing the spreadsheet.

Regardless of intention, it was incredibly rude to Crimsonengineer, who has put in hours of work into something that we have all benefited from at no cost to us. I'm embarrassed that someone who is educated well enough to make it as far as a Fulbright finalist would chose to use an offensive, ableist word like "retarded.' I suppose it's just further proof that the anonymity of the internet allows people to show their true colors without fear of consequences.

Thanks, Crimson, for all your hard work. :)

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! laugh.gif

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Rachel had emailed me on Tuesday that the letters were sent out that morning (Tuesday morning). Hopefully they'll be here today!! I'm also in the midwest, so I feel your pain.

It's just weird that they're taking so long. I had an awful false alarm yesterday...I was checking my mail and I put my fingers on a skinny envelope and of course I thought...."oh no....rejected..." and then I pulled the card out and it was a graduation card from my great aunt!

My behavior whenever I'm around my mailbox has caused a friend to tell me that "it's heartbreaking watching me teeter on the edge of sanity." I don't know how much longer I can take this...

Dear miguelbacigalupe@gmail.com,

Please stop messing up the spreadsheet. I know you are doing weird things b/c as admin I can see WHO has made REVISIONS. And everytime I got back a version before yours, everything is fine.

For now, to access the spreadsheet, please request "permission" and I'll grant it. I think you might need a Gmail account. I just want to see if it's this person above messing things up. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't mess it up if you requested access w/ your email. Then I'd just hunt you down. Oh, and everyone else on this forum!

Thanks!

Crimson

http://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=tyJ1HIbZ4lEWDG1vRUaAbnw#gid=8

Actually I just spoke with Jermaine (North Africa/Middle East) and he said that they really don't know when the notifications are going out at this point. They're hoping for the end of April, but he says there's no guarantee.

So....that means more waiting :(

That's unfortunate. All of my summer plans depend on this notification since I got awarded a CLS as well (but can't accept it if I get the fulbright).

That's unfortunate. All of my summer plans depend on this notification since I got awarded a CLS as well (but can't accept it if I get the fulbright).

Both these programs are complementary, so CLS would understand if you declined it for a Fulbright. That's why they have that section on the CLS application that states that you can only choose one, either the CLS or Fulbright. If you have any other questions about CLS (even though this probably isn't the place for it), ask away! I'm an ambassador for CLS and went to Bangladesh the past two summers. Awesome program, I must say.