Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I'm a new poster to this forum, but I have some questions that you all might be able to help answer. I received a full grant to Australia and have received the informational packet from the Australian-American Commission with information about the payment process. There are two payment options listed: Standard payment, in which we receive the travel allowance in Australian dollars deposited into our new Australian bank account; and the Variation, in which we receive the travel allowance in US dollars deposited into our current US bank account. I'm wondering which would be better to choose, or if it really matters. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

For the MENA people: does anyone have any more info about the Orientation? I registered online and confirmed my air ticket, but obsessive planner that I am, I feel anxious not having a schedule/address of the hotel/ etc., etc. I haven't submitted my medical forms yet (still waiting on lab results...and I am sad to report that as a newly un-insured graduate, those tests just ate up a third of my paycheck:() so I'm wondering if I'll be a bit out of the loop until that is taken care of. If any of you others have more info than I do, I'd love to hear it!

For the MENA people: does anyone have any more info about the Orientation? I registered online and confirmed my air ticket, but obsessive planner that I am, I feel anxious not having a schedule/address of the hotel/ etc., etc. I haven't submitted my medical forms yet (still waiting on lab results...and I am sad to report that as a newly un-insured graduate, those tests just ate up a third of my paycheck:() so I'm wondering if I'll be a bit out of the loop until that is taken care of. If any of you others have more info than I do, I'd love to hear it!

I know that the hotel is the Grand Hyatt Washington (1000 H Street Northwest, Washington D.C., DC 20001). They've posted a schedule on the PDO website: http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule. I'm waiting on my lab tests too, but I'm hoping to get them tomorrow and finally get the forms sent in! I don't think they are keeping you (or me) out the loop while they wait for the forms. At least I hope not! I am really looking forward to getting more information! :)

I'm not MENA so I can't help you much there, but they should've at least told you what hotel it will be in and I guess you'll go from there. We are supposed to buy our own shuttle ticket/metro ticket/bus whatever to the hotel from the airport and they will give us a stipend to reimburse + $100 for meals for the week.

And I understand about the medical exam. Just got my final bill from the clinic and it looks like all together the whole thing costed me over $400. Not bad compared to people living in other areas, but when you're a broke college grad with a random low paying job and no health insurance, that IS a lot.

On that note, have any of you who are currently employed foreseeking a negative reaction from your employer when you are going to tell them? Or did you already tell them? I have to give a month's notice by my contract so I will be telling them when I get back from orientation (and I told them I'm taking that week off to "visit family in DC" - shameful, I know). I know my boss is not going to be happy. I started working here only a few months ago and I kinda convinced them that I was seeking to stay with the company for a long time in order to get the job. The company I work with has absolutely nothing to do with international relations and my boss would have no knowledge of this so they would NOT be understanding. lol I'm dreading the day I have to sit in his office and tell him. It sucks because I know they're not going to hire me back when I return and now I'm just wondering what I'll be doing when I get back. I would hate to be unemployed and living with my parents for several months when I return. Fulbright is great on our resume but it's not going to help me RIGHT away when I return.

EDIT: And I didn't mean to sound like I'm having second thoughts about Fulbright. It's still worth it by a long shot over this job I have now. I just don't wanna have to deal with all the drama at work before I leave.

Edited by studentb2011

I know that the hotel is the Grand Hyatt Washington (1000 H Street Northwest, Washington D.C., DC 20001). They've posted a schedule on the PDO website: http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule. I'm waiting on my lab tests too, but I'm hoping to get them tomorrow and finally get the forms sent in! I don't think they are keeping you (or me) out the loop while they wait for the forms. At least I hope not! I am really looking forward to getting more information! :)

Oh fantastic Lulu, thanks a million! this is very helpful.

Looking forward to seeing you in Washington. We should all wear name tags with our "gradcafe" aliases on them so we can find each other :)

I'm not MENA so I can't help you much there, but they should've at least told you what hotel it will be in and I guess you'll go from there. We are supposed to buy our own shuttle ticket/metro ticket/bus whatever to the hotel from the airport and they will give us a stipend to reimburse + $100 for meals for the week.

And I understand about the medical exam. Just got my final bill from the clinic and it looks like all together the whole thing costed me over $400. Not bad compared to people living in other areas, but when you're a broke college grad with a random low paying job and no health insurance, that IS a lot.

On that note, have any of you who are currently employed foreseeking a negative reaction from your employer when you are going to tell them? Or did you already tell them? I have to give a month's notice by my contract so I will be telling them when I get back from orientation (and I told them I'm taking that week off to "visit family in DC" - shameful, I know). I know my boss is not going to be happy. I started working here only a few months ago and I kinda convinced them that I was seeking to stay with the company for a long time in order to get the job. The company I work with has absolutely nothing to do with international relations and my boss would have no knowledge of this so they would NOT be understanding. lol I'm dreading the day I have to sit in his office and tell him. It sucks because I know they're not going to hire me back when I return and now I'm just wondering what I'll be doing when I get back. I would hate to be unemployed and living with my parents for several months when I return. Fulbright is great on our resume but it's not going to help me RIGHT away when I return.

I'm having the same fears at my job - I just got a promotion a few months ago and it's one where the idea is you stick around for the long haul. I'm just hoping I can somehow tweak this as a benefit to the company...another office abroad maybe? I'm still so scared to tell them, and trying to keep this secret from my work buddies is so difficult! As is the fear of what happens when I get back.

I'm having the same fears at my job - I just got a promotion a few months ago and it's one where the idea is you stick around for the long haul. I'm just hoping I can somehow tweak this as a benefit to the company...another office abroad maybe? I'm still so scared to tell them, and trying to keep this secret from my work buddies is so difficult! As is the fear of what happens when I get back.

To everyone with work-related fears:

In my experience, it is almost always best to bite the bullet and tell your employer as soon as possible. Of course, you know your own work situation best and this may not be feasible for you, but as a general rule total transparency tends to work best. When I was an undergrad, I was in this situation a few times, where I desperately needed a job and bent the truth a bit during the interview saying I was interested in something long-term, when I knew I'd be leaving in a few months for another internship/to go home/whatever. When I kept it a secret and sprung it on my employer at the last minute, it was a SURE FIRE WAY to burn bridges -- they are not only pissed off that you're leaving, but doubly pissed when they figure out you've been lying/planning something behind their backs the whole time.

I've been in that situation a few times since those harrowing experiences, and have learned my lesson. For instance, when I got into graduate school, I was right in the middle of a year-long contract. I told my employer immediately that I wouldn't be able to finish my contract, because of this fantastic opportunity. He was sad to see me go but DID NOT fire me (as I feared), and was relieved to have several months notice to find my replacement. We left on great terms, he still writes me letters of recommendation and says he always has a job for me if I ever move back.

The same thing happened with Fulbright: I started a new job last fall and though I only signed a 1 year contract, from the beginning it was understood that my employer would prefer me to stay longer. Over the course of the spring, we started to plan projects for next year and were in the midst of discussions to create a new job for me when I found out about the Fulbright. Since I work very closely with my employer (the president of the co.) and he was going out on a limb to make these opportunities for me, I was super nervous/felt guilty to tell him, but I bit the bullet and told him the same day I found out. Again, he is said to see me go, but was thrilled for me and now we have the whole summer to plan an exit strategy, and we'll definitely be keeping in touch for future projects.

the lesson in all this: I encourage you guys to bite the bullet and make it easy for yourselves and your companies to make the transition in the fall! And for those worried about finding jobs again after the grant period, start networking NOW, already, for next year. That's another reason to leave your current job on the best terms possible--even if they don't hold your current position open for you, your current employer can be a great ally in the future.

Hope this helps :)

To everyone with work-related fears:

In my experience, it is almost always best to bite the bullet and tell your employer as soon as possible. Of course, you know your own work situation best and this may not be feasible for you, but as a general rule total transparency tends to work best. When I was an undergrad, I was in this situation a few times, where I desperately needed a job and bent the truth a bit during the interview saying I was interested in something long-term, when I knew I'd be leaving in a few months for another internship/to go home/whatever. When I kept it a secret and sprung it on my employer at the last minute, it was a SURE FIRE WAY to burn bridges -- they are not only pissed off that you're leaving, but doubly pissed when they figure out you've been lying/planning something behind their backs the whole time.

I've been in that situation a few times since those harrowing experiences, and have learned my lesson. For instance, when I got into graduate school, I was right in the middle of a year-long contract. I told my employer immediately that I wouldn't be able to finish my contract, because of this fantastic opportunity. He was sad to see me go but DID NOT fire me (as I feared), and was relieved to have several months notice to find my replacement. We left on great terms, he still writes me letters of recommendation and says he always has a job for me if I ever move back.

The same thing happened with Fulbright: I started a new job last fall and though I only signed a 1 year contract, from the beginning it was understood that my employer would prefer me to stay longer. Over the course of the spring, we started to plan projects for next year and were in the midst of discussions to create a new job for me when I found out about the Fulbright. Since I work very closely with my employer (the president of the co.) and he was going out on a limb to make these opportunities for me, I was super nervous/felt guilty to tell him, but I bit the bullet and told him the same day I found out. Again, he is said to see me go, but was thrilled for me and now we have the whole summer to plan an exit strategy, and we'll definitely be keeping in touch for future projects.

the lesson in all this: I encourage you guys to bite the bullet and make it easy for yourselves and your companies to make the transition in the fall! And for those worried about finding jobs again after the grant period, start networking NOW, already, for next year. That's another reason to leave your current job on the best terms possible--even if they don't hold your current position open for you, your current employer can be a great ally in the future.

Hope this helps :)

Hey Ranita,

Thanks for the solid words of advice. You are of course right, telling your employer as soon as possible is totally the best way to go if you can. I think I'm going to tell them a month before hand...I've been here over a year now, and with a month we'll have time to train either my assistant or someone else to take over my responsibilities. I really think that if I tell them now, I'll be out on my ass. I also sort of feel better in this because in the year I've been here, I've seen a few people "laid off" (ahem, fired), so I feel like there's no real company loyalty to employees. Knowing that, I don't feel so bad about not telling them until August!

Now, with that in mind, I really hope I can convince my work that this is an opportunity for THEM as well as me. We already have an office in the UK and I'm trying to refine how I am gonna pitch this to them in a positive way. Maybe I can investigate opening a new office there? Explore the market abroad? hmmmmm. Has anyone done this? Spun their "quitting" into a new opportunity?

Thanks Ranita, you brought up some good points. Unfortunately for me, I am pretty certain me leaving will burn bridges with this company whether I tell them early or not. My boss pretty much wanted my word that I would make a long term committment when I first started. I don't think they would fire me if I told them right now, but I my biggest concern for practical matters is that they will discharge me early. I WANT to work up until the day I leave because I need all the money I can get.

If I hated everyone at my job, it wouldn't be so bad. But I do actually like my job and my co-workers. I just can't take the risk of telling them right now. Luckily, this is a low key position with a company that is really irrelevant to my career interests. Still sucks to burn a bridge I know, but there's not much I can do.

Edited by studentb2011

Hey Ranita,

Thanks for the solid words of advice. You are of course right, telling your employer as soon as possible is totally the best way to go if you can. I think I'm going to tell them a month before hand...I've been here over a year now, and with a month we'll have time to train either my assistant or someone else to take over my responsibilities. I really think that if I tell them now, I'll be out on my ass. I also sort of feel better in this because in the year I've been here, I've seen a few people "laid off" (ahem, fired), so I feel like there's no real company loyalty to employees. Knowing that, I don't feel so bad about not telling them until August!

Now, with that in mind, I really hope I can convince my work that this is an opportunity for THEM as well as me. We already have an office in the UK and I'm trying to refine how I am gonna pitch this to them in a positive way. Maybe I can investigate opening a new office there? Explore the market abroad? hmmmmm. Has anyone done this? Spun their "quitting" into a new opportunity?

You never know, it may be an opportunity for you. You'll be busy with Fulbright projects but if you have the time why not. I'm hoping to hone up my networking in Russia with Russians as well as any American expats I come across. I'm kinda using Fulbright as a pre-kickstarter to a life long career I hope to have.

Here's the link for the PDO information for MENA, I'm not sure how I found it, but I think it was with the orientation registration email. It is very helpful and provides a lot of useful information!

http://fulbright.state.gov/neaorientation

looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Calling all Fulbright rejects and alternates: don't despair, you don't need a Fulbright to realize your dreams!

I was really bummed initially when I got rejected for Morocco, but still reaaaally wanted to go to the Middle East next year and learn Arabic... I ended up landing a job in another Middle East country (لبنان) that provides all the same benefits as a Fulbright would, minus the 20 hour ETA work week, fancy networking and the prestige associated with the award lol. But I do get free housing and a decent expat salary that will allow me to save a good amount over the year. :)

Not as fancy as getting a Fulbright of course, but almost as cool nevertheless! And I get to live on the Mediterranean! Go, chase your dreams people!! hahaha.

I just told the person I was dreading the most, and it actually went really well. I need to take unpaid time off, which is highly frowned upon (and I just took some in May for a trip), in order to go to the PDO. My boss (who helped me tell the other person) gave me great advice. She said to preface what you say with "I have some great news!" or something super positive like that. That way, they can't (hopefully) react badly when you tell them. You have to prime them to be happy about the news. :) It worked great for me! I got a "That's fantastic!" and a hug. Good luck to everyone who is dreading the big reveal.

On to a different topic...is anyone interested in starting a Facebook group for the MENAers? (Please someone else take the reins!)

Is anyone using only the health insurance that Fulbright provides? I want to have additional coverage because it is my understanding that Fulbright recommends it due to the limitations of their coverage. However, I am finally too old to be covered under my parents' insurance and although my school will allow me to continue to buy their (somewhat crappy) insurance, it will be way more expensive than it is for a regular full time student. Would love to know what others are doing!

mbv, a friend of mine and I that both have Fulbrights have been debating this. I'm probably not going to buy school insurance, mainly because it's almost $1800 for next school year. Most of the places people are going have affordable (and, compared to the US, inexpensive) medical care available. I highly doubt I would get so sick that I would spend $1800 out of pocket while abroad. So, I'm just going to get DAN (Diver's Alert Network) insurance to cover me while I'm diving and go from there, I think. Like you, I'm curious to hear what others are doing.

Did anyone else get an email from your Program Director saying they needed to talk to you about your application status? I wasn't selected as an alternate or principal so I am very confused. Anyone else in this same position?

Yes, the same thing happened to me. I was rejected as well, and they are probably going to offer you a grant to another country. Call back asap!!! Congrats!

Edited by roland4102

Is anyone using only the health insurance that Fulbright provides? I want to have additional coverage because it is my understanding that Fulbright recommends it due to the limitations of their coverage. However, I am finally too old to be covered under my parents' insurance and although my school will allow me to continue to buy their (somewhat crappy) insurance, it will be way more expensive than it is for a regular full time student. Would love to know what others are doing!

I'm in the same boat. My health insurance ends in August so I have no idea what to do. I'm not able to get under my school's insurance anymore so I'd have to get my own plan which will be super expensive. I'm also curious to find out what others are doing!

Hell no I am not shelling out an extra penny for additional insurance. I have been uninsured since December and I had to shell out all that money for the exam so this Fulbright health insurance better be there for me if I get hit by a car or something. As far as I know, it will at least cover emergencies? If it doesn't cover something like a doctor's visit for the flu than I guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it on my own. But I'm not paying any more money for medical visits!

If you have additional coverage at no cost to you, I envy you. But it's not really worth it to go through things like COBRA and pay ridiculous premiums and deal with expensive deductibles for the sake of extra insurance unless you already have an ongoing condition.

Calling all Fulbright rejects.... I ended up landing a job in another Middle East country (لبنان)....\

See you there!