Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I love looking at the Google spreadsheet and seeing that there are 15-25 other people on it at the same time. It's very encouraging. :)

Re: leaving a significant other behind, I would consider turning down the Fulbright only if it were clear that spending time with this person would be worth it now, five years down the road, and maybe even twenty-five years down the road. Imagine your life with your girlfriend, but without the opportunities that the Fulbright might open up. Then switch. Does one seem better to you?

Have people been getting email notifications too or just snail mail letters? Thanks.

Fulbright will send stuff by snail mail. But in the case of a certain specific program (i.e. Austria) you might be a preliminary email. For example, I got my acceptance in a large manila envelope last Wednesday and received a follow-up letter from the German Commission last Friday/Saturday with more details. If you look at the spreadsheet, this is why we ask what type of package people receive b/c it basically says your status ... which is kind of interesting b/c you know your status by what package is in your mail! Eek!

Someone out there has answers to my questions, right? See post #863.

I didn't apply to an ETA, but full grant applications often also include what you will do with your free time to get involved in the local community. I said I was going to take Tango lessons. Random, but honestly something i've wanted to do for a long time. Also, a friend of mine who received an ETA to S. Korea's project was about "soju culture", which basically meant going out and drinking all the time!

Unless you're marrying her, no one is worth giving up a Fulbright grant for. It's only 10 months, not 5 years.

Well, there are many reasons in addition. I think I just applied to the wrong country, to be honest.

Also, we drive to Palo Alto to go to Fraiche every weekend.

Hi everyone. Finally decided to create an account, although I don't know how much use this will be to me long-term. Does anyone have any ideas on how people are selected (particularly for ETA only awards) to be in the top group (the number of awards actually available) versus being placed in the bottom half (the 1.5 to 2 times extra recommended candidates)? For those of you who applied to ETA only awards, do you mind briefly sharing what you proposed to do with your time outside the classroom? I wrote quite a few things in my statement, including volunteering at an orphanage and participating in community ceremonies to learn about the religion (specifically, how it has changed over the years and why) and I'm now wondering if this was what they are really looking for. I also mentioned wanting to learn the host language.

Hi,

Your first question doesn't really have an answer, as Fulbright doesn't divulge such information. Likely your ranking from your University has some sway, however, once the application is in IIE's hands, who knows what they do with it? I'd think it would also vary by country, both regarding IIE's ranking (I've read that some countries just go from how IIE scores your application) and whether they feel you're qualified for whatever (both teaching and getting into the community). Hard to put a finger on exactly how the Finalist round works, from my view anyway.

I applied for an ETA to Germany. I've been in a German classroom before (completed a year at a Germany Gymnasium through Congress-Bundestag) and am also very interested in minority [migrationshintergrund] participation within the German educational system. Probably should have applied for a research grant, but I really want to teach. I also stated that I'm a Fussball loving, Mahler singing, Ami Krautophile (in more or less words) whose life was changed by spending a year in Germany, and now I want to pay it back, and hopefully have the same effect on young people there.

Long story short, so long as the judges can see that you're genuine in your words, I think you did it right. :)

Hi everyone,

I am applying for an ETA right now and I know the decisions will be made soon but to alieve some the anxiety of waiting, I just wanna ask..

Does anyone know how much importance is placed on the language tests? I know I had an excellent application and references but I got nervous during the over the phone interview and I bombed it. The lang requirements for my program were intermediate proficiency, I believe. I just want to know how badly it reflects on the entire app if I did well in everything except the language test.

Thanks

I'm considering declining the fulbright if my girlfriend can't get a residence permit. Would this be stupid? I was accepted to a top flight MA program which would put me in a good position to get into a top PhD program...

I guess it depends on your priorities and what works for you as a couple. As someone who's already in a long distance relationship (California - France, yeah... LONG distance, haha), I can tell you it's definitely not easy. Mainly because there is no end in sight to the distance in the near future... there are also residency issues for the both of us, which is a huge obstacle. Not easy for an American to just go get a job in France. However, for the moment it's manageable because we manage to see each other often enough (been to France twice already this year, haha) and we both have different things going on career-wise so we're aware it could last like this for a few more years and neither of us are in a rush to get married. Education/career is our priority right now. Obviously, these are all things you need to discuss as a couple, because I'm sure everyone on this message board will tell you to take the Fulbright haha.

In the case you received the Fulbright, would you be able to defer your acceptance to the MA program for a year? Personally I would take the Fulbright and defer. The distance is hard at first but you get used to it, and it's only 10 months (thus there is an end in sight to the distance).

Anyway, this isn't a relationship thread so I'll try and make this post somewhat relevant by saying I cannot stand waiting anymore! Every day I go through an emotional roller coaster... happiness to go to bed and excited to wake up in the morning to check the mail. Then I freak out because there's no large manila envelope, so I fear all that's left is the alternate/rejection letter. But there's never anything, so I'm just disappointed for the rest of the day, and the cycle continues every day! Anyone else been having dreams about getting packages in the mail? I've had dreams 3 nights in a row. In one, I got a fat manila envelope addressed from Fulbright but it had my bank statements in it. I had another dream I was an alternate, I woke up horrified but was so relieved when I realized it was a dream! See...? I'm going crazy...

Anyway, this isn't a relationship thread so I'll try and make this post somewhat relevant by saying I cannot stand waiting anymore! Every day I go through an emotional roller coaster... happiness to go to bed and excited to wake up in the morning to check the mail. Then I freak out because there's no large manila envelope, so I fear all that's left is the alternate/rejection letter. But there's never anything, so I'm just disappointed for the rest of the day, and the cycle continues every day! Anyone else been having dreams about getting packages in the mail? I've had dreams 3 nights in a row. In one, I got a fat manila envelope addressed from Fulbright but it had my bank statements in it. I had another dream I was an alternate, I woke up horrified but was so relieved when I realized it was a dream! See...? I'm going crazy...

I'm currently in New York, but my decision is supposed to go to Mississippi. I call home everyday, and every time my family starts off any conversation with...nothing arrived!

They know that large manila is good, normal envelope ain't so good.

The suspense is killing me.

Hi,

Your first question doesn't really have an answer, as Fulbright doesn't divulge such information. Likely your ranking from your University has some sway, however, once the application is in IIE's hands, who knows what they do with it? I'd think it would also vary by country, both regarding IIE's ranking (I've read that some countries just go from how IIE scores your application) and whether they feel you're qualified for whatever (both teaching and getting into the community). Hard to put a finger on exactly how the Finalist round works, from my view anyway.

I applied for an ETA to Germany. I've been in a German classroom before (completed a year at a Germany Gymnasium through Congress-Bundestag) and am also very interested in minority [migrationshintergrund] participation within the German educational system. Probably should have applied for a research grant, but I really want to teach. I also stated that I'm a Fussball loving, Mahler singing, Ami Krautophile (in more or less words) whose life was changed by spending a year in Germany, and now I want to pay it back, and hopefully have the same effect on young people there.

Long story short, so long as the judges can see that you're genuine in your words, I think you did it right. :)

What is the University ranking? I applied at-large because I am not in school anymore.

What is the University ranking? I applied at-large because I am not in school anymore.

From my understanding universities rank their applicants based on the in house interview and application/language test.

Don't know how it works for individuals that apply at large, though.

From my understanding universities rank their applicants based on the in house interview and application/language test.

Does that mean you do not receive a ranking? I read on an old Fulbright newsletter that being

at-large is not a disadvantage, but then read somewhere else (on a university website, but I don't remember what university it was) that it is...so, which is it? Does anyone else here know?

Does that mean you do not receive a ranking? I read on an old Fulbright newsletter that being

at-large is not a disadvantage, but then read somewhere else (on a university website, but I don't remember what university it was) that it is...so, which is it? Does anyone else here know?

I highly doubt you're at a disadvantage. Don't freak out. Please. lol

If you apply as an at-large you do not receive the extra rating from a university. However, they still look at your application just the same as all the rest, so you aren't really at any disadvantage. Keep in mind, some of those people may be receiving low score ratings from their university, so it's not always a good thing!

I'm considering declining the fulbright if my girlfriend can't get a residence permit. Would this be stupid? I was accepted to a top flight MA program which would put me in a good position to get into a top PhD program...

I would not call it stupid. I would say that assuming you make an informed, and well-thought decision, regardless of what you decide on it will not be a stupid decision.

You need to put your relationship and the Fulbright and the MA on a scale, and measure the pros and cons to any decision you make. Personally, i've been in a long distance relationship for 1.5yrs. Yes, it's LONG distance, he's in central america and I am in Calif so it's pretty long distance. We both have commitments that only let us visit each other 2 times a year, and for short periods of time. Most of our relationship in fact has been long distance. At this point, given the seriousness of our relationship, we would like to cut this whole long distance thing because YES it's complicated. It's tough. Some days are great, and other days are hard to get through. However, skype has become our best friend. We email/skype/call each other every day. The reason why we thought Fulbright would be awesome is because it would actually allow us to be closer (I"m applying to central america), but, if I don't get it he's definitely coming back to the US (he's working there). Anyways, the point is that we are serious about each other, but he also cares about my academic/professional growth.

So, talk with your girlfriend. Are you two mature enough to be long distance? And, will she go with you to your top MA program, or will that distance you all anyways (although distance is not the same from state to state in comparison with country to country).

You will have other opportunities in life, but Fulbright is a big one. Most MA programs will defer you, so that you can enter after you get back from the Fulbright. They want you especially if you are a fulbright recipient. So think about it, and see what's most important to you, or what you can manage.

Best of luck

Okay, so I wouldn't know much about relationships, but I mentioned this to my officemates, and we've been talking about long-distance relationships and this for like the past hour! So, I think we need to know more about your situation. Is your gf trying to get a residence permit to work or study in the same country as you? Have you been in a long distance relationship before? Does she have her MA/PhD or in the process of getting one? When you go to your MA program, will she follow you? If this is too personal, it's okay. Thinking like an engineer, I need variables!

Personally, I think the Fulbright is an amazing opportunity. Even though you got accepted into a top-notch MA program, I think the Fulbright would provide a better experience. You gain cultural competence and you may even come up with new ideas for your research. Furthermore, you only live once. I've heard this many times. How many times in your life will you get to live abroad for almost a year? Once you get into the drudgery of a PhD and work, it'll be difficult, unless you will be working abroad. So I guess the question is, how important is the Fulbright experience for your professional and personal growth? And does your relationship outweigh that? If your relationship is truly solid, and if she didn't get a permit, then you should take the Fulbright and it should be okay. Like someone mentioned, it's 10 months, not 5 years. If "she's the one", then you'll have 50+ years with her.

Not considering relationship, if you are on the fence about Fulbright, take it, because I like said, you live only once, and it'll be an experience of a lifetime.

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Okay, so I wouldn't know much about relationships, but I mentioned this to my officemates, and we've been talking about long-distance relationships and this for like the past hour! So, I think we need to know more about your situation. Is your gf trying to get a residence permit to work or study in the same country as you? Have you been in a long distance relationship before? Does she have her MA/PhD or in the process of getting one? When you go to your MA program, will she follow you? If this is too personal, it's okay. Thinking like an engineer, I need variables!

Personally, I think the Fulbright is an amazing opportunity. Even though you got accepted into a top-notch MA program, I think the Fulbright would provide a better experience. You gain cultural competence and you may even come up with new ideas for your research. Furthermore, you only live once. I've heard this many times. How many times in your life will you get to live abroad for almost a year? Once you get into the drudgery of a PhD and work, it'll be difficult, unless you will be working abroad. So I guess the question is, how important is the Fulbright experience for your professional and personal growth? And does your relationship outweigh that? If your relationship is truly solid, and if she didn't get a permit, then you should take the Fulbright and it should be okay. Like someone mentioned, it's 10 months, not 5 years. If "she's the one", then you'll have 50+ years with her.

Not considering relationship, if you are on the fence about Fulbright, take it, because I like said, you live only once, and it'll be an experience of a lifetime.

I totally agree with this. I'm in a very similar situation - my boyfriend may not be able to come with me if I receive the Fulbright. However, he would be able to come for a few months if he couldn't get an extended visa, and i'm pretty sure we can make it work for the other 6. There's always ways around the visa - she could possibly take some language classes and get a student visa for the time you are there, for example. I don't know what country you are applying to, but where there is a will, there's a way. It sounds like the real question is do you, Jonhecht89, want to be in the country you applied to for 9 months? And does your girlfriend want to put her life on hold while you are pursuing yours?

If I understand it correctly, the score is just an additional variable that universities send along with the applications. The top score is either 1 or A (don't remember which one). They don't have to rank students against each other, but can rather assign the score individually -- that is, several students' applications could be forwarded with a score of 1, several with a score of 2, etc. I don't know how high the numbers or letters go up. I think (based on a conversation I had quite a while ago) the incentive for the school to give accurate scores is so that their credibility isn't lost -- it doesn't want to become known as a school that just gives out 1s to every student. However -- at least at my school -- they also want to see students succeed, so, where possible, I would assume that they will give out the highest score they can while keeping credibility.

I think they must also provide some comments along with the score. Those comments and the score are what the at large applications do not include.

Edited by siguenomas

If I understand it correctly, the score is just an additional variable that universities send along with the applications. The top score is either 1 or A. They don't have to rank students against each other, but can rather assign the score individually -- that is, several students' applications could be forwarded with a score of 1, several with a score of 2, etc. I don't know how high the numbers (or letters) go up. I think (based on a conversation I had quite a while ago) the incentive for the school to give accurate scores is so that their credibility isn't lost -- it doesn't want to become known as a school that just gives out 1s to every student. However -- at least at my school -- they also want to see students succeed, so, where possible, I would assume that they will give out the highest score they can while keeping credibility.

I think they must also provide some comments along with the score. Those comments and the score are what the at large applications do not include.

Thanks for that!

Makes a lot of sense, with an interesting twist regarding the credibility factor. Wonder what my school ranked me as...:P.