Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

If I understand it correctly, the score is just an additional variable that universities send along with the applications. The top score is either 1 or A. They don't have to rank students against each other, but can rather assign the score individually -- that is, several students' applications could be forwarded with a score of 1, several with a score of 2, etc. I don't know how high the numbers (or letters) go up. I think (based on a conversation I had quite a while ago) the incentive for the school to give accurate scores is so that their credibility isn't lost -- it doesn't want to become known as a school that just gives out 1s to every student. However -- at least at my school -- they also want to see students succeed, so, where possible, I would assume that they will give out the highest score they can while keeping credibility.

I think they must also provide some comments along with the score. Those comments and the score are what the at large applications do not include.

Do you think someone else scores at-large applications later? Do at-large applicants basically have the same chance as university enrolled students without that extra information?

Do you think someone else scores at-large applications later? Do at-large applicants basically have the same chance as university enrolled students without that extra information?

Re: someone else scoring the at-large applications, I don't know! That's an interesting question. I'm not sure whether the scoring applies to the entire app or just the interview.

Our campus Fulbright advisor told us that at-large and enrolled applicants have the same chance of success, i.e. there isn't a penalty for applying at large. So my impression (assumption?) was that the interview was just another way for the committees to get to know you, and the ultimate decision would be a combination of your project's feasibility, applicability, and depth; your personal statement and demonstration of fitness for the program and the mission of the Fulbright; and all of those other factors we have read about on the Fulbright website or just can't know about. It's so hard to say from this side of the process. All we have after a certain point is speculation...

Edited by siguenomas

Okay, so I wouldn't know much about relationships, but I mentioned this to my officemates, and we've been talking about long-distance relationships and this for like the past hour! So, I think we need to know more about your situation. Is your gf trying to get a residence permit to work or study in the same country as you? Have you been in a long distance relationship before? Does she have her MA/PhD or in the process of getting one? When you go to your MA program, will she follow you? If this is too personal, it's okay. Thinking like an engineer, I need variables!

She was trying to get a residence permit to study in Finland with me. We contacted a number of different departments and they all said it was too late for her to apply in any way (degree seeking or non-degree seeking). Right now she is in San Diego and I am in the SF bay area and that is hard enough--we really hate being apart. She would come to the MA program with me. She does not have an MA or a PhD but she is taking a year off to decide whether she will want to apply later, though she's leaning against it (great candidate: 3.99, 4.0 in major and 670 verbal [English major]). She said she'll follow me wherever I go and had intended to follow me on the Fulbright but we couldn't get it.

Another thing is that I was really bullied into applying for the country I did. One of my profs told me to apply for the Fulbright and it seemed like a good idea, but I really wanted the UK. The UK is the only place I can imagine really thriving with my work. The FB advisor on campus, however, essentially said that she would not recommend me if I applied to the UK because it is too competitive and it would make the school look bad. Finland is a great country, but I would work with better people at the MA program than in Finland. In the end, the benefit would be as a year long European vacation. I'd rather be with my SO in America than on a European vacation without her. Maybe it would be different if I had applied to the UK and maybe I should have fought for it more, but it's too late now.

Edit: She said she'd follow me wherever I go and her primary concern is being with me.

Edited by Jonhecht89

Another thing is that I was really bullied into applying for the country I did. One of my profs told me to apply for the Fulbright and it seemed like a good idea, but I really wanted the UK. The UK is the only place I can imagine really thriving with my work. The FB advisor on campus, however, essentially said that she would not recommend me if I applied to the UK because it is too competitive and it would make the school look bad. Finland is a great country, but I would work with better people at the MA program than in Finland. In the end, the benefit would be as a year long European vacation. I'd rather be with my SO in America than on a European vacation without her. Maybe it would be different if I had applied to the UK and maybe I should have fought for it more, but it's too late now.

That is such crap! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Can't believe your adviser would have the gumption to say such a thing.

I don't really have much to have, but I'm rooting for you two!

She was trying to get a residence permit to study in Finland with me. We contacted a number of different departments and they all said it was too late for her to apply in any way (degree seeking or non-degree seeking). Right now she is in San Diego and I am in the SF bay area and that is hard enough--we really hate being apart. She would come to the MA program with me. She does not have an MA or a PhD but she is taking a year off to decide whether she will want to apply later, though she's leaning against it (great candidate: 3.99, 4.0 in major and 670 verbal [English major]). She said she'll follow me wherever I go and had intended to follow me on the Fulbright but we couldn't get it.

Edit: She said she'd follow me wherever I go and her primary concern is being with me.

Oh, okay. This makes more sense then. She definitely is VERY smart! Hmm, did you say you couldn't get the spousal stipend? Or that you couldn't get the Fulbright together?

It seems you've basically laid out what you plan to do and it does make sense and it's logical. And yes, with her scores and GPA, that's a definite in for grad school! So it seems you should see if your gf is willing to wait a year for grad apps. Then sit down and talk with her and think this through one more time before making a final decision.

But I'm also glad you two are very supportive of each other. It's just that there are lots of what if's in the equation.

Edited by crimsonengineer87

hey i'm in the bay too! Could she go for maybe 3 months out of the 9? Like you go there for 3 months, then she comes to join you, then you finish the last 3 on your own? That way you wouldn't be apart for more than 3 months at a time. And it sounds like you guys are pretty committed, I really hope it all works out for you guys! it also doesn't sound like you really want to be in Finland for 9 months...

Has anyone who applied to a country in the East Asia & Pacific category heard back yet?

Anyone else in the running for Taiwan?

Hi LittleBird,

I applied to East Asia & Pacific (Indonesia). I haven't heard anything yet.

Oh, okay. This makes more sense then. She definitely is VERY smart! Hmm, did you say you couldn't get the spousal stipend? Or that you couldn't get the Fulbright together?

It seems you've basically laid out what you plan to do and it does make sense and it's logical. And yes, with her scores and GPA, that's a definite in for grad school! So it seems you should see if your gf is willing to wait a year for grad apps. Then sit down and talk with her and think this through one more time before making a final decision.

But I'm also glad you two are very supportive of each other. It's just that there are lots of what if's in the equation.

She's not a dependent and we're not married (though we plan to marry eventually). Hell, financing her coming along isn't really even an issue. The problem is just getting permission from the country.

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.

She's not a dependent and we're not married (though we plan to marry eventually). Hell, financing her coming along isn't really even an issue. The problem is just getting permission from the country.

Actually, I do have something to add.

If she has any sort of teaching experience she could look into trying to latch onto a English teaching position. In Europe those jobs are typically pretty easy to find as a native English speaker, and they often don't require teaching experience...teaching experience, of course, would be a mega plus. Because she would bring something not readily available within the population (native English) her potential employer could argue that she should have a work Visa. That'd take care of residency issues, and she'd be paid decently to boot!

Don't know the market in Finland at all, but I know this is the case in Germany.

I know what you're going through...I applied with the idea that my boyfriend and I would be married before we go so that he could go with me (we were on that track already, but getting the Fulbright would speed it up a bit). We would have to be married to be able to live together in the country. We'd have to be married for him to even be able to come and visit me. I'm still hoping that he'll just be able to come as a spouse if I get the grant, but I totally feel for you and your situation. Of course, if the program is postponed or canceled in the country I applied to...then I guess it doesn't matter! (Or if I don't get it...it won't matter. I am getting more patient because I don't think I'll be hearing either way for a long time.) Whatever happens with you, keep us informed! I feel like I'm personally invested in some of these situations after reading about them and offering advice! :)

Has anyone who applied to a country in the East Asia & Pacific category heard back yet?

Anyone else in the running for Taiwan?

Hey! I haven't heard anything either, and I'm for Korea.

But good luck for Taiwan! It's an amazing country with great people. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Here's to hoping you'll be eating stinky tofu soon. :)

Hey! I haven't heard anything either, and I'm for Korea.

But good luck for Taiwan! It's an amazing country with great people. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Here's to hoping you'll be eating stinky tofu soon. :)

Thanks! Same to you! biggrin.gif

Has anyone applying to Norway heard back yet? According to the spreadsheet last year, this would be about the time to hear back.

I just emailed Rachel Holskin, and she said letters for Norway had not even been sent out yet, but that they should go out within the next two weeks. Good luck!

Has anyone applying to Norway heard back yet? According to the spreadsheet last year, this would be about the time to hear back.

Hey! I am new to the board but have been following along for awhile. I am also IMpatiently waiting on Norway, I am a little disappointed that they are coming out later than the last two years (sent out on March 17 in 2009 and 2010) as I am waiting to plan the next year of my life!

HOPEFULLY we will hear very soon, and they will send them out this week. I wish we could simply get email notification like Switzerland!

Good luck to you! :)

I just emailed Rachel Holskin, and she said letters for Norway had not even been sent out yet, but that they should go out within the next two weeks. Good luck!

Was that today that she said they had not been sent yet? Ugh, I was hoping today would be the day! They need to hurry it up :) Have you received admission to your school of choice in Norway (you or anyone else who applied for Norway)? I just received mine yesterday!

Good luck to you :)

I just e-mailed Cara Doble to see if she could say when Germany ETA decisions would be sent out and whether we'll also receive an e-mail notification, so hopefully she'll get back to me soon. Looks like they were mainly received today (22nd) last year, but from the spreadsheet it doesn't look like anyone has heard yet, so perhaps it will be a bit later this year?

has anyone else noticed a marked lull on the spreadsheet...i feel like there haven't been any letters recently. (coming from someone who stalks the spreadsheet 10 times daily). dear poland, where are you?

I totally agree, I mean Norway for example by the 23rd of March all the people on the spreadsheet had heard, and now here we are the 22nd this year and they have not even sent out the letters yet.. UGH!! :(

has anyone else noticed a marked lull on the spreadsheet...i feel like there haven't been any letters recently. (coming from someone who stalks the spreadsheet 10 times daily). dear poland, where are you?

Yep. Seems that things have quieted down after that first flurry of letters. I guess they'll be coming in waves. I really hope the next batch comes soon so i can live vicariously through you guys, since the wait for Egypt will probably be interminable....