Harvard Kennedy School HKS MPP 2022 best practices?

I didn't see any other threads for applying to the MPP this fall (2021) so hopefully it's not too early to try to connect lol. 

Has anyone else connected with HKS students to get advice before applying? It feels intrusive to reach out to students directly through LinkedIn but I don't see another way to chat with students one-on-one. I connected with a student ambassador at SIPA but I don't think HKS has a similar program through the admissions office (they also havent responded to my emailed questions so maybe Harvard doesn't need to "recruit" like other programs)? 

7 hours ago, edpolicydc2020 said:

I didn't see any other threads for applying to the MPP this fall (2021) so hopefully it's not too early to try to connect lol. 

Has anyone else connected with HKS students to get advice before applying? It feels intrusive to reach out to students directly through LinkedIn but I don't see another way to chat with students one-on-one. I connected with a student ambassador at SIPA but I don't think HKS has a similar program through the admissions office (they also havent responded to my emailed questions so maybe Harvard doesn't need to "recruit" like other programs)? 

It is easier if you can network in via an in person connection. I mean especially if you are in the policy community, it isn't that difficult. When I asked around, I found I knew 2 friends of friends who went to HKS.

I think some schools don’t connect interested people with students until admitted because most students are busy.  Always good to ask though.  I agree to check your network to see if a friend of a friend knows someone who has a few minutes to talk or answer a couple questions.  It’s a good idea to check the program website so you ask questions not already answered on the website/ blog/ virtual event. Many answers can be found on the program website. I would also recommend unless you know the person well to keep the convo short.

Most programs have virtual events where students participate and speak about their experience/ where you can ask questions.   Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone else noticed that the Long-term Planning posts have disappeared on the HKS Admissions Blog? Wonder what's going on, or if they're migrating them somewhere else. Also if you click Archive, then Tag, you can see that there should be ~180 posts related to the application, but when you click it you only get 2 results. Hmm...

2 hours ago, OKAKI said:

Did anyone record an optional video essay? I understand that questions are random, but I want to know what the questions are like. Basic or tricky. I would appreciate it if someone could share their experience.

what program are you applying to?

On 12/3/2021 at 7:03 AM, Tazel said:

They sent an email extending the MPP deadline. It’s today at 3 ET. 

my friend also told me this, but i didnt get an email. was this email to people who had an application open but didn't submit it? 

best of luck to everyone who applied! Wanted to know how many of you are applying for the fellowships? I was thinking of going for the Charles Edison and Robert Seamans but I am confused about exactly what should be in the essays- can they be similar to our motivation essays or do they have to be different? Would really love to exchange notes

35 minutes ago, Mpa-aspiration said:

Hello,

Hopefully I'm ok posting here as I am MC/MPA hopeful. Any thoughts on how deferrals may impact decisions this due to COVID.  I was told that more people deferred back in 2020 for Fall of 2022 than fall of 2021.  Just wondering if that is going to hurt folks chances applying.

It probably won't have a greater effect than pre-COVID (okay maybe a minor bump). There are obvious preventative measures against COVID, but HKS is having in person classes and unless something drastically changes, that isn't expected to change. Now when COVID first came into the gate (so applying for Fall of 2021 entry), there was a lot of deferrals for people hoping for a better experience in person.