Single-Courses to Psy.D.? + Where or how can I find supervising professionals for 3,000 intern hours for clinical licensure?

PositiveSoul

I have been thinking to go for a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) at California Southern University as a self-funded student taking the Single-Courses to Psy.D. route.

Following are their requirements:

REQUIRED CORE COURSES

PSY 8500 Advanced Theories of Personality - 3 Credits
PSY 8503 History Systems in Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 8504 Ethical and Professional Issues - 3 Credits
PSY 8506 Advanced Psychopathology - 3 Credits
PSY 8708 Cultural Diversity - 3 Credits
PSY 8724 Cognition, Emotion and Motivation - 3 Credits
PSY 8700 Psychopharmacology - 3 Credits
PSY 8701 Physiological Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 8740 Statistical Methods and Analysis - 3 Credits
PSY 8127 Research Methods in Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 8702 Psychological Assessment I - 3 Credits (Child Abuse Assessment & Suicidal Risk Assessment and Intervention - CalSouthern will validate this for you with the Board.)*

ELECTIVE COURSES (Fulfills Clinical Psychology Licensure Requirements)

PSY 7507 Advanced Human Sexuality - 3 Credits (Human Sexuality)*
PSY 7534 Dual Diagnosis or PSY 7738 Advanced Psychology of Addiction & Compulsive Behaviors - 3 Credits (Alcohol/Chemical Dependency Detection and Treatment)*
PSY 7728 The Psychology of Violence and Domestic Abuse Reporting 3 (Spousal or Partner Abuse Assessment, Detection, and Intervention Strategies)*
PSY 7533 Psychology of Death and Dying - 3 Credits (Aging and Long-term Care)*
PSY 7521 Industrial/Organizational Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 7527 Psychology of Stress and Stress Related Disorders - 3 Credits

Note: (*) These courses fulfill the Clinical Psychology Licensure Requirements.

OTHER ELECTIVE COURSES

PSY 7307 Advanced Physiology and Pharmacology of Addiction - 3 Credits
PSY 6309 Advanced Ethical and Professional Issues in Addiction Counseling - 3 Credits
PSY 7316 Advanced Personal and Professional Wellness for the Substance Abuse Counselor - 3 Credits
PSY 7007 Advanced Case Management: Assessment, Treatment Planning, Relapse Prevention, and Aftercare - 3 Credits
PSY 7523 Psychology of Learning - 3 Credits
PSY 7700 Applied Sport Psychology I - 3 Credits
PSY 7701 Applied Sport Psychology II (Pre-Requisite: PSY 7700) - 3 Credits
PSY 7711 Current Issues in Sport Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 7715 Psychology of Coaching - 3 Credits
PSY 7720 Enhancing Performance: Preparation / Motivation - 3 Credits
PSY 7725 Research in Sport Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 7507 Advanced Human Sexuality - 3 Credits
PSY 7509 Advanced Psychology of Marriage and Family Systems - 3 Credits
PSY 7513 Psychological Tests and Measurements - 3 Credits
PSY 7514 Brief Therapy - 3 Credits
PSY 6516 Social Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 7718 Hypnosis: Theory and Practice - 3 Credits
PSY 6519 Crisis and Trauma Counseling - 3 Credits
PSY 7521 Industrial/Organizational Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 7522 Consulting in Business, Education, and Mental Health - 3 Credits
PSY 7525 Cognition and Memory - 3 Credits
PSY 7527 Psychology of Stress and Stress Related Disorders - 3 Credits
PSY 7728 The Psychology of Violence and Domestic Abuse Reporting - 3 Credits
PSY 7529 Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - 3 Credits
PSY 7530 Dream Analysis - 3 Credits
PSY 7533 Psychology of Death and Dying - 3 Credits
PSY 7534 Dual Diagnosis - 3 Credits
PSY 7536 Cognitive-Behavioral Psychotherapy - 3 Credits
PSY 7737 Psychology of Chronic Illness - 3 Credits
PSY 7738 Advanced Psychology of Addiction and Compulsive Behaviors - 3 Credits
PSY 7739 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity, Autistic Spectrum and Neurodevelopmental Disorders - 3 Credits
PSY 7541 Psychology of Religion - 3 Credits
PSY 7742 Eating Disorders - 3 Credits
PSY 6743 Systems of Care in Community Mental Health - 3 Credits
PSY 7745 Interpersonal Neurobiology - 3 Credits
PSY 6747 Career Counseling - 3 Credits
PSY 7750 Positive Psychology - 3 Credits
PSY 7760 Media Psychology: Writing, Publishing and Promoting of a Self-Help Book - 3 Credits
PSY 7761 Interpersonal Conflict in the Workplace - 3 Credits
PSY 7762 Supervision and Consultation - 3 Credits
PSY 7763 Clinical Interviewing - 3 Credits
PSY 7703 Psychological Assessment II (Pre-Requisite: PSY 8702) - 3 Credits
PSY 7704 Practicum I - 3 Credits

I can transfer up to 30 credits towards my Psy.D.

If you know any other source or method where I can get any of the above-mentioned credits (core or elective) cheaper than California Southern University then please let me know.

For clinical licensure, one needs 3,000 intern hours. Where or how can I find supervising professionals for that? 

My ultimate goal is to work as a licensed clinical psychologist in California.

Your feedback, guidance, advice would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

While California doesn't 100% require completing an APA-accredited doctoral program for licensure, it will make the licensing process infinitely easier because you have to prove the program meets those standards. Doctoral programs are full-time because all of the course work and clinical practicums take up the time of a full time job (arguably more so). Also, you cannot get an APA-accredited internship if you do not go to an APA-accredited program, nor can you even apply to non-accredited internships on APPIC, which is the application process for all formal internship programs. You would be left on your own to piece together an internship. 

The cheapest route to becoming a licensed clinical psychologist is to make yourself a competitive applicant for all the funded PsyD and PhD programs out there (funding is the norm, not the exception). 

Yep... just don't even go there with this program. Getting your doctoral training will just put you in a world of hurt/constantly playing catch up if you don't get it from an accredited university.

As stated by @PsyDuck90, the supervised hours are the hours you get on full intern year, plus 1 or more post-doc years. Most APPIC internships won't even consider non-accredited program students, and several job positions (e.g., VA and many AMCs) expressly prohibit hiring students training in unaccredited programs.  

To add to what the posters above said - if you have to find your own practicums/ internship, than that program probably doesn't offer the quality of training that you would need to be a good clinical psychologist. A decent program would at least help you in finding practicums, although most decent ones have a good network and they will place you. 

Even if you have the money (so no loans), a partly-funded PsyD is a much better option for your future - it will be easier to get licensed, it will be easier to access quality training opportunities and experiences, etc. If you have to borrow the money, that's worse, since most programs are long-term and that really adds up, which can significantly impact future decisions.

And the last question is - can you do what you want in your future career with a different degree? As in, would a master's (like the MSW) be sufficient to have the future career/role you want? 

Thank you very much for your feedback and guidance.

My other options are doing a Ph.D. in Psychology at Fielding Graduate University (non-APA-Accredited program. Although they have an APA-Accredited Psy.D. program.) or Meridian University (also non-APA Accredited.) which are exorbitantly expensive.

I have no intention to leave the state of California nor do I want to work for any employer or teach. I have been working in IT for the past 20+ years and make decent money. My Psy.D. or Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology won't help in my IT career growth.

I was going for a regular Ph.D. in Management or Organizational Leadership, etc. for self-growth and then I thought that why shouldn't I look into Clinical Psychology and becoming a clinical psychologist. That way I might be able to help my community and if there is a need make some money through private practice. But after reading your feedback, I think I am on the wrong track.

Anyway, thank you for your kind feedback.

Edited by PositiveSoul
Adding more context

1 hour ago, PositiveSoul said:

Thank you very much for your feedback and guidance.

My other options are doing a Ph.D. in Psychology at Fielding Graduate University (non-APA-Accredited program. Although they have an APA-Accredited Psy.D. program.) or Meridian University (also non-APA Accredited.) which are exorbitantly expensive.

I have no intention to leave the state of California nor do I want to work for any employer or teach. I have been working in IT for the past 20+ years and make decent money. My Psy.D. or Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology won't help in my IT career growth.

I was going for a regular Ph.D. in Management or Organizational Leadership, etc. for self-growth and then I thought that why shouldn't I look into Clinical Psychology and becoming a clinical psychologist. That way I might be able to help my community and if there is a need make some money through private practice. But after reading your feedback, I think I am on the wrong track.

Anyway, thank you for your kind feedback.

If your primary goal is to do therapy as a side-gig, I would look into MFT or social work programs. You can get licensed as a master's level therapist and work towards licensure that way. 

2 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

If your primary goal is to do therapy as a side-gig, I would look into MFT or social work programs. You can get licensed as a master's level therapist and work towards licensure that way. 

I appreciate your suggestion. However, I am afraid I'm only interested in a Ph.D./Psy.D. program as I already have a Master's Degree (i.e. MBA in General Management). Thank you.

Edited by PositiveSoul
I'm

1 hour ago, PositiveSoul said:

I appreciate your suggestion. However, I am afraid I'm only interested in a Ph.D./Psy.D. program as I already have a Master's Degree (i.e. MBA in General Management). Thank you.

Why are you only interested in a PhD/PsyD? Your master's degree in general management will not let you do therapy. An MFT or social work program will. If you're looking to get a quality return on your investment, those are the programs that will do it.

You are not going to find a PsyD program in California that is worth the money. The 3 schools you named are all scams. APA accreditation is a bare minimum requirement.