7 minutes ago, AdAstra2020 said:

Hey! I just want to clear the air a bit because I was expecting similar high costs at first. Almost all Harris students I know (minus those in a studio) are living with 2-3 others and have a rent between $600 - $900. I have a fairly large apartment (two floors) with several others. We each have our own bathroom. We pay $850, wi-fi is included, and we have to pay a gas/electric bill that ends up totaling under $50 each a month due to the number of us. Most people who live in the official large residential buildings for grad students pay under $1k and rent/utilities are almost completely included. We live a short distance from campus but also in a low-cost area (south of campus - Hyde Park is more expensive)

I'm going to post the roommate spreadsheet from last year's cohort that we all shared. The ranges are well under what you all might be expecting - and almost everyone seems to be paying a rent within these ranges:

[it’s a link]

I hope this helps. Not trying to downplay the expenses of living in the area... but it might seem more overwhelming than the reality. Good luck!

The roommate spreadsheet is fantastic, but I’d recommend taking it down or else all of those peoples’ information (phone, email, etc.) will likely be harvested and used for sales, phishing, or worse.

Edited by PedroTheNoun

2 minutes ago, PedroTheNoun said:

The roommate spreadsheet is fantastic, but I’d recommend taking it down or else all of those peoples’ information (phone, email, etc.) will likely be harvested and used for sales or worse.

Fair point, this was posted on the Harris MPP Slack, Whatsapp, and Facebook groups for all incoming students so I felt a lot of liberty in sharing it to others but have taken for granted the importance of keeping the information private. I'll edit my post to remove it. Sorry!

3 minutes ago, AdAstra2020 said:

Fair point, this was posted on the Harris MPP Slack, Whatsapp, and Facebook groups for all incoming students so I felt a lot of liberty in sharing it to others but have taken for granted the importance of keeping the information private. I'll edit my post to remove it. Sorry!

It’s not a problem at all, it just gets a bit dicey from a security perspective with all of that PII being shared on a public forum. I think the perceptive you shared is incredibly useful!

Edited by PedroTheNoun

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 1:01 PM, AdAstra2020 said:

Hi I'd like to know how admitted students can join Slack/Whatsapp/Facebook as I wanna learn more about life in Chicago. Thanks a ton!

On 1/3/2022 at 12:48 PM, AdAstra2020 said:

Hey! I just want to clear the air a bit because I was expecting similar high costs at first. Almost all Harris students I know (minus those in a studio) are living with 2-3 others and have a rent between $600 - $900. I have a fairly large apartment (two floors) with several others. We each have our own bathroom. We pay $850, wi-fi is included, and we have to pay a gas/electric bill that ends up totaling under $50 each a month due to the number of us. Most people who live in the official large residential buildings for grad students pay under $1k and rent/utilities are almost completely included. We live a short distance from campus but also in a low-cost area (south of campus - Hyde Park is more expensive)

I'm going to post the roommate spreadsheet from last year's cohort that we all shared. The ranges are well under what you all might be expecting - and almost everyone seems to be paying a rent within these ranges:

[Removed for the sake of keeping privacy]

I hope this helps. Not trying to downplay the expenses of living in the area... but it might seem more overwhelming than the reality. Good luck!

BTW thanks a lot for the info on rent and monthly cost. Super helpful to plan finances! (wish i had received scholarship ?

21 hours ago, PedroTheNoun said:

Have y'all had any luck with getting the slack invite sent to your uchicago email address? I got both the ID/email address and it doesn't seem to be receiving the slack invite.

They are gonna send out the invites in a week or two, late January or early February.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, Crayy01 said:

@clairella222I don't think results are coming before mid Feb as indicated on the requirements and deadline tab of the Harris website. 

Thank you, I see! I assumed so because they released the result around this time last year, while the expected timeline posted on the website also said mid-fed then

On 1/22/2022 at 1:39 AM, clairella222 said:

Anyone out there has any information when would the round 1 decision be released? I was expecting it to come out before the deadline for round 2...

They generally takes 6 academic weeks to finalize decisions. Because of the 2 week holiday break and the 1 week quarter delay, I think we will hear back from Admissions either this weekend or next week.

Edited by rosiefullaposie93

17 minutes ago, Earofthetiger said:

Did anyone who got accepted receive any funding/scholarship information? Even if you didn't, do you know how much they usually offer as an aid? Also, like what's the most they could offer (besides full ride), etc. 

Definitely check prior year's thread. They had a deeper discussion on the topic and discussed who was able to get more funding after admission.

13 hours ago, rosiefullaposie93 said:

They generally takes 6 academic weeks to finalize decisions. Because of the 2 week holiday break and the 1 week quarter delay, I think we will hear back from Admissions either this weekend or next week.

That's great!! Hoping for good results for everyone

10 hours ago, Earofthetiger said:

Did anyone who got accepted receive any funding/scholarship information? Even if you didn't, do you know how much they usually offer as an aid? Also, like what's the most they could offer (besides full ride), etc. 

From what I heard UChicago is quite generous about scholarship comparing to similar programs in the country. I think it said on their website up to 80% students received merit-based scholarship starting at 1/3 of tuition. And the offer would be renewed in the second year based on first year GPA 

@clairella222 I've actually heard  and experienced the opposite. I applied round 2 on 1/22 last year and found out I was admitted on a Saturday night 3/6. I was a bit disappointed on the scholarship amount. They awarded me 10k and from speaking with other students and friends the most they really only give out about 10-25k. But I guess this is well known? Other police programs are more generous with scholarship money but Harris is known to not give out as much as other programs. A few months after you're admitted they let you challenge the award where you can report promotions or other scholarships to get them to bump your award amount...but they almost rarely bump your award amount.  

Admissions wouldn't let me defer so had to reapply round 1 of this year. So thinking we hear back tomorrow or early next week? I'd be interested to see if award money changes depending on when you apply...I will keep you all posted.