Fulbright Study/Research 2022-2023

ohdunk

Hi everyone, sincere apologies if I've made a duplicate thread! I don't think I saw any other threads on this season's Fulbright, and I thought it'd be nice to connect and discuss. Where are you all applying? Open grants or specific grants?

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2021 at 12:08 PM, MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec said:

I am surprised that there is not more activity here. I'm applying too. We'll see how it all goes!

Yeah, it's been unexpectedly quiet. Maybe there is a duplicate somewhere with more replies. Regardless, I hope it goes well for you! The grant I applied for was brand new, so I have no way to gauge the competition for it. It was my first Fulbright application, so pretty daunting, but I felt okay about my submission. Let me know how it goes when they announce semifinalists in January!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I'm also surprised this thread is so quiet. 

This is my second year applying to a Fulbright open research award to Sweden. I was only notified when I did not win in March/April. I imagine semi-finalist letters have already or will go out soon like the poster above said about Switzerland. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am confused, is that spreadsheet for the same student award competition that I am part of? There are so many Fulbright streams that I sometimes get confused. This is the timeline I am working on:

https://www.fulbright.ca/programs/canadian-students/traditional-awards/important-dates

I don't expect to hear anything for quite a while yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! My gradcafe account was glitched out yesterday, but I've gotten my semifinalist notification for my student-study grant to Italy! I can't wait to hear more about your applications as well.

Also @MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec, to answer your question I think that you've applied to the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, whereas I've applied to the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. The U.S. Student Program timeline is different to yours. I'm excited to hear about the progress on your application, though you have quite a while to wait!

@birk3947, where have you applied to?

On 1/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, ohdunk said:

Hi everyone! My gradcafe account was glitched out yesterday, but I've gotten my semifinalist notification for my student-study grant to Italy! I can't wait to hear more about your applications as well.

Also @MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec, to answer your question I think that you've applied to the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, whereas I've applied to the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. The U.S. Student Program timeline is different to yours. I'm excited to hear about the progress on your application, though you have quite a while to wait!

@birk3947, where have you applied to?

congrats @ohdunk! I'm a semi-finalist to the Sweden research-study. Did you fill out the spreadsheet? 

Hello all, 

I just wanted to stop by and say good luck to everyone who is going through the process, and congrats to the people who have become semi-finalists. I am a former US-UK Fulbright scholar (study/research award), and I have been helping others with the process and told them about this forum as a resource. Back when I applied for the 2015- 2016 cohort, there were hundreds of people on it, and it became a great resource and support system. I know the process is taxing, but it was definitely worth it in the end. And for the people who did not make it to the next round, I definitely don't want to invalidate or minimize how it may feel, but I also want to let you know there were many Fulbright scholars who applied multiple times and got it on their 2nd, 3rd, and one person I know 6th try. So, if it is something you want to do then maybe you can try again (i.e., if you're up for it). 

Take care everyone and good luck! 

Edited by miracle18

11 hours ago, mikefromnj said:

congrats @ohdunk! I'm a semi-finalist to the Sweden research-study. Did you fill out the spreadsheet? 

Congrats!! Hopefully we hear good things when finals start coming out!

No, I didn't fill out the spreadsheet, but I might later! It does seem like a nice resource for people down the line. 

26 minutes ago, miracle18 said:

Hello all, 

I just wanted to stop by and say good luck to everyone who is going through the process, and congrats to the people who have become semi-finalists. I am a former US-UK Fulbright scholar (study/research award), and I have been helping others with the process and told them about this forum as a resource. Back when I applied for the 2015- 2016 cohort, there were hundreds of people on it, and it became a great resource and support system. I know the process is taxing, but it was definitely worth it in the end. And for the people who did not make it to the next round, I definitely don't want to invalidate or minimize how it may feel, but I also want to let you know there were many Fulbright scholars who applied multiple times and got it on their 2nd, 3rd, and one person I know 6th try. So, if it is something you want to do then maybe you can try again (i.e., if you're up for it). 

Take care everyone and good luck! 

Thanks for your encouraging thoughts! It would seem that Fulbrighters on GradCafe are few and far between this season (or just quiet) but I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone as the competition continues! 

Hi all, Canadian who applied to Fulbright US student award. I feel like they told us it'd be later (April?) we hear back, but I might've made that up. I also realized (because I was travelling at the time) that I did not submit a bibliography, so I'm... a little dejected. Anyway, good luck to everyone. I hope you were not dumb like me and submitted *all* the things.

20 hours ago, rchow said:

Hi all, Canadian who applied to Fulbright US student award. I feel like they told us it'd be later (April?) we hear back, but I might've made that up. I also realized (because I was travelling at the time) that I did not submit a bibliography, so I'm... a little dejected. Anyway, good luck to everyone. I hope you were not dumb like me and submitted *all* the things.

Hi rchow, hopefully it works out anyway! The timeline for the foreign student program is different from the timeline for the US student program, so you're probably right that you'll hear back in April. Best of luck, and be sure to update us once you hear back!

On 2/12/2022 at 2:08 PM, PAMDoc said:

Applied to US-UK and was offered an interview on Tuesday for later this month. Super excited! Best of luck to everyone else applying. 

Congrats PAMDoc! What grant type did you apply to?

• 2 weeks later...

It's March everyone! Let the incredibly vague March to May finals notification period begin! Now we can continue to wait, but with more email refreshing.
For friends that have finals notifications in April, I wish you the best of luck! Just one more month to wait for the month of waiting!

Hi all! The email went to my spam folder early Feb. (mortifying) and I just realized now thanks to a follow-up, but I received word I "passed the first step and that the Adjudication Committee has recommended you for a 2022-2023 Fulbright Canada Traditional Student Award to the United States." They go on to say we should hear on or before April 15th.

2 hours ago, rchow said:

Hi all! The email went to my spam folder early Feb. (mortifying) and I just realized now thanks to a follow-up, but I received word I "passed the first step and that the Adjudication Committee has recommended you for a 2022-2023 Fulbright Canada Traditional Student Award to the United States." They go on to say we should hear on or before April 15th.

Oh congrats rchow!! I'm glad you checked up on it, when I was applying for CLS there were so many emails that got caught in my spam filter as well, so you're not alone in that! I'm glad to hear that you've made it past the semifinals, and I look forward to hearing more in April! Best of luck!

10 minutes ago, ohdunk said:

Oh congrats rchow!! I'm glad you checked up on it, when I was applying for CLS there were so many emails that got caught in my spam filter as well, so you're not alone in that! I'm glad to hear that you've made it past the semifinals, and I look forward to hearing more in April! Best of luck!

thank you!! yeah haha, suffice to say I will be checking my spam regularly. best of luck to you, as well! here's hoping there's good news all around :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I hope you're all dealing with the wait better than I am. I've been looking through the Fulbright google sheet, and so far it looks like students applying to Austria, France, Hungary, Iceland, and maybe Morocco and Romania have heard back. In all likelihood I won't hear back until April (based on previous notification dates) but the wait is getting to me. To make the waiting worse, the university I applied for with the Fulbright won't release my scholarship information until Fulbright gives me the finals notification. So I'm now waiting for Fulbright results and for the university's scholarship results to come out at about the same time. Eugh.

Anyway. Back to my waiting I suppose!

• 2 weeks later...

My waiting is pretty much over. Alternate. Not the end of the world, but the end of feasible funding. There's only one grant of this type, and I'm fairly certain the winner isn't gonna pass this up. Oh well. Maybe the uni will give me some scholarships independently!

On 3/24/2022 at 5:06 PM, ohdunk said:

My waiting is pretty much over. Alternate. Not the end of the world, but the end of feasible funding. There's only one grant of this type, and I'm fairly certain the winner isn't gonna pass this up. Oh well. Maybe the uni will give me some scholarships independently!

Ahhh, I'm sorry to hear. As they say, it's not over til it's over! I hope the uni comes through and that you get funding.