MA programs with strength in continental philosophy

PhilBlast

So I'm getting my list of MA programs together and I see GSU and LSU as places to apply, but I'm having a hard time finding other places that give some sort of funding plus the GRE waived or not required. Mainly looking for those that place well into SPEP PhD programs or even those considered highly ranked outside of it that have at least a couple of professors that specialize in continental philosophy. Also open to interdisciplinary programs that place into the previously mentioned.

Just in case, I'm from the USA. I have no idea how to get funding for international study. Also a minority and first gen if there are funding opportunities out there someone might be aware of. My interests are pretty broad at the moment. 19th - 20th century, contemporary continental philosophy, social and political philosophy, critical theory. Thanks!

Edited by PhilBlast

2 hours ago, PhilBlast said:

So I'm getting my list of MA programs together and I see GSU and LSU as places to apply, but I'm having a hard time finding other places that give some sort of funding plus the GRE waived or not required. Mainly looking for those that place well into SPEP PhD programs or even those considered highly ranked outside of it that have at least a couple of professors that specialize in continental philosophy. Also open to interdisciplinary programs that place into the previously mentioned.

Just in case, I'm from the USA. I have no idea how to get funding for international study. Also a minority and first gen if there are funding opportunities out there someone might be aware of. My interests are pretty broad at the moment. 19th - 20th century, contemporary continental philosophy, social and political philosophy, critical theory. Thanks!

Maybe check out this place. https://fundedphilma.weebly.com/

Off the top of my head, these are some places that stand out to me. Miami University Ohio is a pretty good MA program for Continental philosophy. Though it looks like they do require the GRE. San Francisco State is also another one. They don't require the GRE. I think funding is a little less straightforward at SFSU, but it is definitely doable. At least from what I had heard. 

I know the MA program at Duquesne is perceived in continental circles as being a nice jumping pad. Their placement is somewhat decent. I had a couple of friends who went to Duquesne. But from what I understand there isn't full funding. Or only some students receive full funding. I'm not too sure. 

Also, don't feel like you can't apply to analytic programs because you do continental philosophy. If there is a faculty member at an analytic program who does continental and can help you with what you are interested in, you should apply there. The writing sample you come out of the program with, will generally be fine when applying to phd continental programs.

Edited by Cloudsofrain

I might suggest having a look at the grad student profiles of programs that interest you. That could help you figure out where else to apply. (Also, I second all the suggestions above.)

The MA at stony brook is probably worth looking at, although I’m fairly certain they don’t have funding.

I considered the MA at at Stonybrook - no funding except work study, very expensive living situation, and placement seemed to be very restricted. Of all the "continental" M.A.s which also have a PhD, I'd say University of New Mexico would be best. 

Honestly, I think any terminal M.A. that's a good terminal M.A. overall is good for a student interested in continental, as so long as it isn't overtly hostile to continental. For what it's worth, I'm at an "analytic" program and I've taken courses on Kant, Foucault, and an independent study of Husserl, but I also have a much wider understanding of what's going on in the discipline as a whole and I know how to talk about, say, Canguilhem, to someone who has almost zero familiarity with that area. I also know more about the philosophy of cognitive science than most people interested in continental philosophy.  At my program, we had a student place at Memphis which is pretty SPEP-y (as well as Irvine). Anyhow, I don't know, I'm still pretty continental-oriented and I think it was overall a good decision to attend a program strong in analytic (insofar as the division really makes sense anymore). So, I'd apply to M.A.s that are overtly continental, but also M.A.s that are solid overall. It's not a PhD program - you're only there for two years.

Also you might wanna take a look and notice that the placement record among the hardcore SPEP programs is, uh, a bit incestuous (similar relationships exist among sets of "analytic" programs as well).

And, on one final note, most younger philosophers coming out with PhDs these days don't take the analytic-continental divide as seriously as people did decades ago. Like, no one's going to become visibly upset if you mention Heidegger or whatever.

21 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

I considered the MA at at Stonybrook - no funding except work study, very expensive living situation, and placement seemed to be very restricted. Of all the "continental" M.A.s which also have a PhD, I'd say University of New Mexico would be best. 

Honestly, I think any terminal M.A. that's a good terminal M.A. overall is good for a student interested in continental, as so long as it isn't overtly hostile to continental. For what it's worth, I'm at an "analytic" program and I've taken courses on Kant, Foucault, and an independent study of Husserl, but I also have a much wider understanding of what's going on in the discipline as a whole and I know how to talk about, say, Canguilhem, to someone who has almost zero familiarity with that area. I also know more about the philosophy of cognitive science than most people interested in continental philosophy.  At my program, we had a student place at Memphis which is pretty SPEP-y (as well as Irvine). Anyhow, I don't know, I'm still pretty continental-oriented and I think it was overall a good decision to attend a program strong in analytic (insofar as the division really makes sense anymore). So, I'd apply to M.A.s that are overtly continental, but also M.A.s that are solid overall. It's not a PhD program - you're only there for two years.

Also you might wanna take a look and notice that the placement record among the hardcore SPEP programs is, uh, a bit incestuous (similar relationships exist among sets of "analytic" programs as well).

And, on one final note, most younger philosophers coming out with PhDs these days don't take the analytic-continental divide as seriously as people did decades ago. Like, no one's going to become visibly upset if you mention Heidegger or whatever.

Thanks for your post (and the others as well). I'm afraid of attending a more analytic leaning program for an M.A. and mentioning a continental philosopher and getting eyerolls. I'd prefer somewhere where there's at least some semblance of mutual respect. I'm aware of the incestuous placement on both sides of the strongholds, but having looked at the placement data collected in recent years I'm simply okay with it, only in regard to acknowledging that reality. Leiter doesn't even really recognize the SPEP ones so I can't say I blame them. I hope this dynamic changes in the future though.

I'm glad to hear you learned a lot in a pluralistic manner from your program. I have an interest in Foucault so I've been using that as a bit of a benchmark as far as where to apply. A course on him to me would say something positive about a program. Going to send you a message soon to get more details about your program. Thanks!

Edited by PhilBlast

7 hours ago, PhilBlast said:

Thanks for your post (and the others as well). I'm afraid of attending a more analytic leaning program for an M.A. and mentioning a continental philosopher and getting eyerolls. I'd prefer somewhere where there's at least some semblance of mutual respect. I'm aware of the incestuous placement on both sides of the strongholds, but having looked at the placement data collected in recent years I'm simply okay with it, only in regard to acknowledging that reality. Leiter doesn't even really recognize the SPEP ones so I can't say I blame them. I hope this dynamic changes in the future though.

I'm glad to hear you learned a lot in a pluralistic manner from your program. I have an interest in Foucault so I've been using that as a bit of a benchmark as far as where to apply. A course on him to me would say something positive about a program. Going to send you a message soon to get more details about your program. Thanks!

Cool, I'll check that.

So - yeah - as far as "mutual respect" goes, it depends. You ought to reach out to terminal M.A. programs and tell them something about what you're interested in. For example, regarding the program in which I eventually choose to enroll, my graduate advisor was frank that they do not mess with any sort of psychoanalytic business.

I would say that, for terminal M.A. programs, I'd weigh how the admissions chair talks to you heavily in your decision. If they are helpful and attentive, it's a good program. If they aren't, it's not (or, at least, it won't be good for you).

"Leiter doesn't even really recognize the SPEP ones so I can't say I blame them."

Well, if you mean New School, Emory, Stony Brook, Memphis, etc. - then yes. The McAfee-Leiter beef rabbit hole is a great way to waste time on the internet. According to various tenure or tenure track philosophers I have spoken two, the PGR also seems to undervalue both programs that are and are not places with tenured SPEP members: Cincinnati, Essex, Utah, Kansas, Tulane, Amsterdam, Ghent, McGill, Connecticut, Georgia, UC Davis, Temple, Johns Hopkins, Florida, and Buffalo.