MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

Congrats to those who got accepted, very happy for you guys. Always rooting for the Gradcafe friends ??? 

If you got waitlisted like myself, or rejected. Keep your spirits up, may whatever is best for you comes your way ❤️

Status update: 

Yale, Graphic Design 3-year program, waitlisted (March 3rd, 2022). 

the final decisions will be out by April 30th (1 month and 3 weeks of nail biting for me ??

a school I was accepted to said their acceptances are provisional and if I accept too late, then I might not have a spot bc they accept more people than they have spots for. I find this to be really poor practice, because their school is a part of the April 15th agreement (meaning if accepted, I should have until 4/15 to decide) so this is a shady work around in order to benefit them. I understand why they do it, but for students this is not a fair practice. So in order to have a spot somewhere, I’m considering accepting even though I haven’t heard back from everywhere yet. 
What are everyone’s thoughts on accepting an offer and then potentially declining it later?

59 minutes ago, Hjuoollpphhfcvn said:

To people accepted to vcu, did you get your official letters of admission? I was contacted via zoom for the news but still haven't received the official document. 

I received a pdf document, but it says it's not an official one. After I accept it they will send the official letter. 

13 hours ago, cabbagepatch said:

Hey all!

I went to VCU for undergrad for graphic design, and my partner went to VCU for fine arts. 

If you let me know what program you're in I can be probably of some use/help. I would look at the MFA thesis books/papers everyone publishes, they should be available to look at through the VCU library. Personally, I loved VCU and had a great time. I felt the program pushed me as a student, was competitive, and personable. I found that my faculty were incredibly responsive, and invested into me as a student.  There are several computer labs to use, and at least one per program. The building are large a spacious, painting grads have really nice large studios with doors/walls that totally private.  Large wood shop and screen printing studio as well. 

Richmond as a city is super laid back, the James river runs through the city, so expect lots of river days in the summer. Great food ( would recommend edo's squid, zzq, alewife, and ipanema) and lots of tattoo shops. It's fairly easy to get to NYC via bus on the train, bus or fly. I've lived in Richmond for 7 years, seems like a lot of people stick around after graduating. Rent is pretty cheap still, where you can get a room in a house between 550-700 or a one bedroom for like 1000 a month, within walking distance to your building. If you are in the fine arts (or KI) I recommend living in jackson ward, if you are in the design programs live in the fan. You don't necessarily need a car, but it's helpful for sure. There's an art supply store right on campus, and a lowes within a quarter of a mile. Richmond is a place you think you'll hate, and you end up loving. 

If you have any particular questions let me know, or DM me. 

I also live in Richmond, and can verify that Edo Squid’s is the best pasta in Richmond, not that that absolutely matters but jus sayin.

10 hours ago, Font said:

@lilyxia99@Hjuoollpphhfcvn , 100% yes to everything @cabbagepatch said. I also went to undergrad at VCU. There are many, many undergrad and grad students from other art programs -- so plenty of possible peers to befriend and lend their ears and eyes to create a dialogue with. Richmond was for me an amazing place. Still is. The surrounding neighborhoods around campus definitely feels like a mini-ungentrified Wburg/Bushwick. And much less expensive. I actually got my first design job in NYC because my boss's sister went there. The name does carry weight. Many alumni live in NYC and we do help each other out finding jobs. Lastly, as an alternative to campus facilities there is Studio Two Three in Scotts Addition outside of campus, though access may be cost prohibitive to some. Good luck!

https://www.studiotwothree.org/community-print-shop-equipment

Thank you so much :) It seems like VCU is a very promising and nice place :D quite happy about that

3 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

a school I was accepted to said their acceptances are provisional and if I accept too late, then I might not have a spot bc they accept more people than they have spots for. I find this to be really poor practice, because their school is a part of the April 15th agreement (meaning if accepted, I should have until 4/15 to decide) so this is a shady work around in order to benefit them. I understand why they do it, but for students this is not a fair practice. So in order to have a spot somewhere, I’m considering accepting even though I haven’t heard back from everywhere yet. 
What are everyone’s thoughts on accepting an offer and then potentially declining it later?

On the resolution website it is state:

”if a student accepts an offer before April 15 and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit a written resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. Applicants are not required to obtain a formal release from the program whose offer they accepted, either before or after the April 15 deadline. Once applicants have informed the program that they are withdrawing their acceptance of the offer, they then can accept any other offers.”

So, I would say that if the school is performing such a shady practice, then they should expect some of their students to withdraw on a later date. I don’t think you should worry because the resolution has a loophole that is fair to you, as the student, in this situation.

Edited by DawkT

1 hour ago, DawkT said:

On the resolution website it is state:

”if a student accepts an offer before April 15 and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit a written resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. Applicants are not required to obtain a formal release from the program whose offer they accepted, either before or after the April 15 deadline. Once applicants have informed the program that they are withdrawing their acceptance of the offer, they then can accept any other offers.”

So, I would say that if the school is performing such a shady practice, then they should expect some of their students to withdraw on a later date. I don’t think you should worry because the resolution has a loophole that is fair to you, as the student, in this situation.

Good point! Thanks for that

12 hours ago, hibiscusleaves said:

Got accepted to Yale! waiting for financial aid decisions now.

Also got accepted to VCU with $10k stipend, super thankful for both of these!!

Congratulations!! What program at VCU did you apply for?

2 hours ago, Ponygurl said:

Hi everyone! Just came across this page- wish I had found it sooner! I have been waitlisted to risd painting and was curious if anyone that was accepted plans on declining their offer?

Does RISD rank people on their waitlist? I received an offer from RISD painting and am strongly considering an offer from a different school.

Hi everyone!
I applied for MFA, and my all status is

SMFA (painting) - accepted with scholarship 

SVA (Design) - accepted

Pratt (painting) - not hear back 

I desire to go to Pratt, but the possibility of acceptance is quite low…

Is there somebody who have already been waitlisted in Pratt ? or the waitlist for Pratt is not exist..?

I’m really sad not to hear back anything yet.. maybe i will be rejected..

Just wanted to give everyone an update and ask a general question. I've applied to Painting/Drawing programs. 

SAIC: Accepted!

MECA: Accepted!

Purchase: Interviewed last week

Pratt: Interview next week

It's now sinking in that I need to choose between at least 2 programs, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of them all. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but what are the BIGGEST factors that will go into your choice? Funding? Ranking? Location? Faculty? Thanks in advance ? 

Congrats to everyone who recently got an acceptance ? It’s nice to see even among what seems to be a competitive year…! I had an interview with Pratt yesterday so I’m still hopeful for more news.

I sent an email a week ago to SVA asking about scholarships and TA positions, since I was accepted with no other info, which MFA fine arts answered for me pretty vaguely/unhelpfully. A few days ago I got a letter in the mail telling me to check the portal to see scholarship info. I got a 20% scholarship and… work study? Which I don’t really understand. Today the chair of MFA fine arts reached out in the same email thread asking to meet on Zoom tomorrow. Would this be about scholarships? I already decided SVA might not be the best fit for me as they don’t have a printmaking specific program. I’m willing to be convinced otherwise. I’m kind of nervous… has anyone had a followup from SVA after getting accepted? 

Also I apologize if this has already been answered, but is it a bad move to reach out to a school you’ve been waitlisted to saying thank you and that it’s your top school and you’d be happy to provide more info?!? I’m frazzled lol. 

1 hour ago, seelamfa22 said:

Does RISD rank people on their waitlist? I received an offer from RISD painting and am strongly considering an offer from a different school.

Oh awesome congratulations on multiple offers!!! I have no idea if they rank or if they try to find someone similar to take the spot. 

3 hours ago, thehamburglar said:

Just wanted to give everyone an update and ask a general question. I've applied to Painting/Drawing programs. 

SAIC: Accepted!

MECA: Accepted!

Purchase: Interviewed last week

Pratt: Interview next week

It's now sinking in that I need to choose between at least 2 programs, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of them all. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but what are the BIGGEST factors that will go into your choice? Funding? Ranking? Location? Faculty? Thanks in advance ? 

congratulations!

I am having a similar issue. i received 100% tuition + $12k-$23k yearly stipend from 1 program and just received about 70% tuition from my top choice (location, faculty, ranking).  I am not sure what my next steps will be and am finding it hard to focus on anything else!