MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

On 3/15/2022 at 7:42 PM, nobodyok said:

Hi KougamiAkane, did you wind up hearing from UF? I've still not heard anything, and nothing in the portal // sculpture applicant.

I just got rejected from UF as a painting applicant. They’re really behind this year on decisions I feel like and I think each department is on a different timeline rn

First post to GradCafe (Hope I'm in the right place/forum! Any advice of other places to look welcome and appreciated), but has anyone heard anything from UCLA'S MFA in Screenwriting program? It's getting to late March, so I'm preparing for bad news... but I haven't heard of anyone getting in yet either, so?

3 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

I just got rejected from UF as a painting applicant. They’re really behind this year on decisions I feel like and I think each department is on a different timeline rn

Thank you for sharing your update, but sorry for your rejection! I think you're right about being late and on different timelines. Was the rejection just a portal update, or also an email? I had seen a hit on my website from Gainesville around Feb 21st, assuming that's when they viewed my application, but that's almost a month ago lol. Not sure at this point if there's still a chance for interview..

2 hours ago, JessieK said:

First post to GradCafe (Hope I'm in the right place/forum! Any advice of other places to look welcome and appreciated), but has anyone heard anything from UCLA'S MFA in Screenwriting program? It's getting to late March, so I'm preparing for bad news... but I haven't heard of anyone getting in yet either, so?

Hey there, this is the visual art forum, so idk if anyone here would have any info on the screenwriting program, unfortunately! You might have better luck in the literary forum, though, but not sure.  https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/80-literary/ 

Good luck with your apps though!

I wanted to deliver some hope to the ones of you still in the dark. In the past 18 hours I have been contacted by 3 schools. 1 acceptance flat-out, 1 acceptance off of waitlist, and 1 interview that inferred I was the only one being interviewed. These 3 schools are on the smaller spectrum but I’m sure their timelines are around the same as everyone else! They all had to get their funding in order before making decisions

What is going on at UCLA...applied to their Art MFA (Painting and Drawing)... and still haven't heard anything. I was honestly expecting mid-March, but I doubt decisions will come out tmrw. This may be dragged out until the last day of March or even April...I am prepared to receive my acceptance letter on April 1st just to see "April Fools" in fine print at the bottom of the page 

5 minutes ago, whywouldiputmyrealname said:

What is going on at UCLA...applied to their Art MFA (Painting and Drawing)... and still haven't heard anything. I was honestly expecting mid-March, but I doubt decisions will come out tmrw. This may be dragged out until the last day of March or even April...I am prepared to receive my acceptance letter on April 1st just to see "April Fools" in fine print at the bottom of the page 

Earlier on in the thread I saw one or two people who I think applied for the painting program or at least one of them did, mention they got acceptance letters. I had an interview (not for painting though) but haven’t heard anything so I was feeling bummed out about it 

9 minutes ago, imnotsure said:

Earlier on in the thread I saw one or two people who I think applied for the painting program or at least one of them did, mention they got acceptance letters. I had an interview (not for painting though) but haven’t heard anything so I was feeling bummed out about it 

Wow someone already received their acceptance letter!?! what page of the thread is that on? UCLA Art MFA has six different areas of study, but I would assume all of the letters would be released at the same time

Don't be bummed out tho! Having an interview is much better than simply receiving a rejection letter....we might be in the dark right now but it could be worse. What area of study was your interview for? (I haven't been contacted at all) 

20 minutes ago, whywouldiputmyrealname said:

Wow someone already received their acceptance letter!?! what page of the thread is that on? UCLA Art MFA has six different areas of study, but I would assume all of the letters would be released at the same time

Don't be bummed out tho! Having an interview is much better than simply receiving a rejection letter....we might be in the dark right now but it could be worse. What area of study was your interview for? (I haven't been contacted at all) 

I think it was in the late 40s early 50s page wise but I’m not super sure. I’ve been checking this forum way too much so I’ve lost track. I was kind of hoping they would release the different areas at different times to give me hope that i might have a chance but ??‍♀️ One can only hope and well I’m just trying to be ok with any outcome at this point because there is no other way of thinking about it. & ceramics 

49 minutes ago, imnotsure said:

I think it was in the late 40s early 50s page wise but I’m not super sure. I’ve been checking this forum way too much so I’ve lost track. I was kind of hoping they would release the different areas at different times to give me hope that i might have a chance but ??‍♀️ One can only hope and well I’m just trying to be ok with any outcome at this point because there is no other way of thinking about it. & ceramics 

I found what you are talking about and honestly I wouldn't believe everything you read on this forum. 

1 hour ago, whywouldiputmyrealname said:

Hey. I applied to UCLA for Painting and Drawing. Here's my timeline: 

-Interviewed Feb 11th

-Accepted via phone call Feb 21st

-Updated portal with acceptance letter March 10th (declined the offer March 13th)

This being said, I know other people who applied in different departments who had interviews and such at different dates than I did. It seems like their communication is a little all over the place... anyway, hopefully that's helpful information. 

I have been struggling between my two offers so far: Pratt sculpture with a $7500/semester scholarship vs MassArt sculpture with a $2500/semester scholarship. Pratt offered more but there is also the higher life cost in NYC. Does anyone have any advice on these two choices…? 

Just received my last result, think it is a good time to share all the info! My background: fine art with a focus on art & technology study

SAIC Art & Tech - admitted

ACCD MDP - admitted

NYU ITP - admitted

CMU Entertainment Technology - admitted

UCB MDes - admitted (not MFA, more of a technology innovation design program)

UCLA DMA - waitlist (finger-crossed)

MIT Media Lab - rejected (expected)

RISD D+M - rejected

Edited by swifteggtart

5 hours ago, oli_czhang said:

I have been struggling between my two offers so far: Pratt sculpture with a $7500/semester scholarship vs MassArt sculpture with a $2500/semester scholarship. Pratt offered more but there is also the higher life cost in NYC. Does anyone have any advice on these two choices…? 

In terms of cost of living, I have lived in Boston and currently live in NYC and honestly... the cost of living is not that different. It is EXPENSIVE in Boston too unless you live outside the heart of the city, but same in NYC. Since MassArt is technically a public school, they do keep their tuition more affordable compared to Pratt. So although they are giving you less of a scholarship, MassArt would still likely be a more affordable out of pocket cost. I have had professors and friends at MassArt and Pratt and both loved their programs so in terms of quality of program, your choice is great either way IMO. Good luck!

10 hours ago, oli_czhang said:

Boston and NYC cost of living is pretty comparable honestly, but in NYC you will have much more access to a broader art community! 

Has anyone ever got into a programme, started it, realised it wasn't a good fit, and then switched out? Are you allowed to apply to other college while a full-time student? What's the sort of protocol there? I'm a bit nervous about how programmes are amid covid upheavals, even if covid seems to be abating (you never know...). What happens if you received funding to attend?