Fully funded PhD funding

eia

Good day! I am on my last stretches of my MA Developmental Psychology in my home country, and I would like to know if there are universities in the US who offer a PhD in Developmental Psych or Cognitive Studies who offer, as stated above, fully funded for its students. 

Thanks and have a good day!

Well the short answer is yes. The long answer... it depends :) I'm assuming here that you just started your search. Most decent programs fund their students, with tuition remission and a (usually small) stipend. Programs should have this info available on their website or maybe you can find out more from the grad admin. I personally would not recommend even applying to programs that are not funded.

What you need to do is identify which programs are a good match to you, your goals and your research interests. Since there are so many programs out there, it would be difficult for us to recommend any, unless you have more specific interests/ areas you'd like to share. 

Just keep in mind that the application season stretches out from now until the spring of next year, so if you are serious about this, you have to get moving on that list :)

As stated above, to apply for a PhD you need to check your area of research match with the department because that's where it really starts. But I understand your concern that funding can be an issue. Here are some programs that I know are funded or have fellowships, but there might be some conditions that apply: 

https://psych.uw.edu/graduate/areas/developmental

https://psychology.umbc.edu/ph-d-in-applied-developmental-psychology/prospective/

Are you an international student? I am-myself. I'd be happy to answer more questions about finding PhD programs in the U.S and what to consider. 

Feel free to chat me via inbox.

21 hours ago, eia said:

I would like to know if there are universities in the US who offer a PhD in Developmental Psych or Cognitive Studies who offer, as stated above, fully funded for its students.

I would guess that the majority of quality PhD programs are fully funded, through assistantships, however, you will definitely want to review the rules for international students, at my uni there are different rules and regulations for international students than domestic ones. 

19 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Well the short answer is yes. The long answer... it depends :) I'm assuming here that you just started your search. Most decent programs fund their students, with tuition remission and a (usually small) stipend. Programs should have this info available on their website or maybe you can find out more from the grad admin. I personally would not recommend even applying to programs that are not funded.

What you need to do is identify which programs are a good match to you, your goals and your research interests. Since there are so many programs out there, it would be difficult for us to recommend any, unless you have more specific interests/ areas you'd like to share. 

Just keep in mind that the application season stretches out from now until the spring of next year, so if you are serious about this, you have to get moving on that list :)

It was really shocking that application is like right now! I feel so overwhelmed with a lot of universities in the USA!

37 minutes ago, eia said:

It was really shocking that application is like right now! I feel so overwhelmed with a lot of universities in the USA!

I can imagine it's overwhelming, especially if the process in your home country is different. There is always the alternative to apply next year after you graduate as well - don' t fell rushed like you have to apply right now, if you are not ready and you think you might submit a rushed application. My opinion is that it's better to make a good first impression right from the start. A lot of applicants prepare for years for this, so you have to keep that in mind. Also, waiting might help with bulking up your CV with maybe a poster/publication, more glowing letters from your referees and so on. And a final thing - the application process can get costly, depending on how many programs you have on the list, so another thing to keep in mind.