2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

6 minutes ago, catiecatie said:

Has anyone heard from Wisconsin-Madison? I think they usually send out interviews by the second week of Jan (at least for the past 3 years), but no one on this forum has claimed an interview this year.

Also wondering this, haven’t seen/heard anything and was expecting to at least see someone post about an interview with Madison 

Hi everyone!

Curious to know if Poli Sci departments typically send out interviews for PhD admissions? I am applying to 10 schools and none of them seem to have any information on their website regarding interviews (even Wisconsin).. 

Also, are applicants who are invited for interviews most likely admitted?.. I've heard from a former poli sci PhD applicant that receiving an interview invitation is neither good nor bad, because it means you are not good enough to be admitted right away, but at the same time, you're not as bad to be rejected right away.. but wasn't sure if this is correct...

Thanks and have a nice rest of the weekend!

38 minutes ago, Paul123fasd said:

Hi everyone!

Curious to know if Poli Sci departments typically send out interviews for PhD admissions? I am applying to 10 schools and none of them seem to have any information on their website regarding interviews (even Wisconsin).. 

Also, are applicants who are invited for interviews most likely admitted?.. I've heard from a former poli sci PhD applicant that receiving an interview invitation is neither good nor bad, because it means you are not good enough to be admitted right away, but at the same time, you're not as bad to be rejected right away.. but wasn't sure if this is correct...

I know this isn’t the most helpful response but it really is a mixed bag. Most places don’t interview, but some do. Those that do might do it for various reasons: such as to narrow down a short list, do a final check for likely admits, or check edge cases. On the whole though, I would say being invited for an interview is a good thing. Maybe it means you were deemed an edge case that wasn’t good enough to be accepted outright, but the majority of applicants don’t even make it that far. As for which schools: I recommend going back through other years and seeing which schools relevant to you have done them in the past. That said, schools probably change their methods from year to year, and there is likely variation within sub fields. 

7 hours ago, Paul123fasd said:

Hi everyone!

I agree with @jjiffy - most departments don't interview. Maybe it is more common nowadays where it can be harder to gauge applicant who don't submit GRE scores (opening a can of worms here). I get the sense that especially in top departments, professors have considerable discretion in whom they take on to supervise and they can choose to interview applicants on their own accord. And yes being invited for an interview is in my view a good thing because it means that you're being considered seriously. This doesn't happen to very many people in an application pool where only few make it through. 

11 hours ago, Theory007 said:

I agree with @jjiffy - most departments don't interview. Maybe it is more common nowadays where it can be harder to gauge applicant who don't submit GRE scores (opening a can of worms here). I get the sense that especially in top departments, professors have considerable discretion in whom they take on to supervise and they can choose to interview applicants on their own accord. And yes being invited for an interview is in my view a good thing because it means that you're being considered seriously. This doesn't happen to very many people in an application pool where only few make it through. 

Thanks @jjiffy and @Theory007 ! Are you guys aware of some departments that interview every applicants that they are strongly considering? (schools where interviews are one of the mandatory admission processes) I'm just concerned.. if I don't receive an interview invitation within 2 weeks.. should start worrying?.. :(

2 hours ago, Paul123fasd said:

Thanks @jjiffy and @Theory007 ! Are you guys aware of some departments that interview every applicants that they are strongly considering? (schools where interviews are one of the mandatory admission processes) I'm just concerned.. if I don't receive an interview invitation within 2 weeks.. should start worrying?.. :(

Any department that interviews an applicant is strongly considering them. They wouldn't bother to interview them if they weren't. To find out which schools tend to them, I would urge you to check the results pages and see if people posted interviews in previous years. Comb through the available data and flex those research skills lol. Off the top of my head, I know that Duke tends to do interviews but that is the only one I can think of. As for getting worried...I wouldn't. 

Edited by jjiffy

On 1/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, Publicpolicyguy37 said:

Also wondering this, haven’t seen/heard anything and was expecting to at least see someone post about an interview with Madison 

Nothing from UW thus far.

One more day with no news. Today the Campus was closed (MLK day).

Maybe tomorrow...

Edited by Dickinson

Hey guys, hope you're having a fantastic morning/night.

I was interviewed by UT-Austin last Friday and received an email from Notre Dame about their timeline: they should finalize their shortlist and send out virtual tour invitations by next week. 

Regarding my interview, I don't know if it's later for other fields (my first field is comparative politics). All I know is that UT-Austin says on their website that they'll send out offers next month (https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/government/graduate/Admissions/Concluding-Notes.php). Hope this helps.

@danni11105

I also received an email from Notre Dame about their timeline. But I really doubt if I can stand a chance given my abysmally low undergraduate GPA!~?

I also wanted to apply for UT-Austin but I missed the deadline. Anyway, hope you will get good news pretty soon!~

@danni11105 

I also applied for UT-Austin for Comparative Politics. I did not get an interview invitation, but last Friday they asked me for my transcripts in French (I am applying from a university in France and I only submitted the English version). Not sure this is a good thing or not...

On 1/18/2022 at 8:20 AM, JCX said:

@danni11105

I also received an email from Notre Dame about their timeline. But I really doubt if I can stand a chance given my abysmally low undergraduate GPA!~?

I also wanted to apply for UT-Austin but I missed the deadline. Anyway, hope you will get good news pretty soon!~

Thank you so much for your kind words!
On a side note, I believe that the committee takes everything into consideration. It says on their website that they "consider a broad set of factors in making admissions decisions." (https://politicalscience.nd.edu/graduate-program/admission-and-financial-aid/, in their GRE section) Fingers crossed for both of us.

12 minutes ago, ShowroomDummy said:

@danni11105 

I also applied for UT-Austin for Comparative Politics. I did not get an interview invitation, but last Friday they asked me for my transcripts in French (I am applying from a university in France and I only submitted the English version). Not sure this is a good thing or not...

I think it's good news. It means that they're looking into your application and considering it seriously. Otherwise, why would they bother to ask for your original transcripts? Also, I was interviewed by my potential faculty advisor, so maybe different professors set different timelines. Good luck!

On 1/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, Publicpolicyguy37 said:

I received an interview invitation from Madison. One of the professors I showed an interest to work with in my SOP emailed me to set an appointment time. He said he just wants to discuss my files and interests and intends to record the meeting for all members of the committee to view. I am pretty psyched about this because I didn't think Madison would even consider me, which makes the interview pretty scary (never been too good at those). Hope this is a positive step. If it is, I hope you all get your interview invites soon! Any tips to prepare would be really appreciated; I didn't prepare for the possibility cause I thought I wouldn't get to do one. 

At the same school, Is it possible scenario that one would be accepted with interview, but the other would be accepted without an interview? In other words, does the school that interviews have an interview with all potential primary candidates?

@IAMK Hi! I am also super stressed by the fact that I did not receive any interviews. My partner who is now a PhD candidate in physics in the U.S. told me that in his application cycle (fall 2018) he got offer without interview but some of his colleagues were interviewed and then accepted. I don’t know if Polisci is the same case, but I hope so. Good luck to you!

21 minutes ago, ShowroomDummy said:

@IAMK Hi! I am also super stressed by the fact that I did not receive any interviews. My partner who is now a PhD candidate in physics in the U.S. told me that in his application cycle (fall 2018) he got offer without interview but some of his colleagues were interviewed and then accepted. I don’t know if Polisci is the same case, but I hope so. Good luck to you!

Thank you! Good luck!

On 1/18/2022 at 10:17 AM, danni11105 said:

Hey guys, hope you're having a fantastic morning/night.

I was interviewed by UT-Austin last Friday and received an email from Notre Dame about their timeline: they should finalize their shortlist and send out virtual tour invitations by next week. 

Regarding my interview, I don't know if it's later for other fields (my first field is comparative politics). All I know is that UT-Austin says on their website that they'll send out offers next month (https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/government/graduate/Admissions/Concluding-Notes.php). Hope this helps.

I just received this invitation from Notre Dame. It says "This event is for finalists for our program’s 2022 cohort and will allow us to get to know you better and for you to learn more about our program and university." The schedule also includes individual meetings with faculty, so it seems to be almost an interview. Fellow ND applicants should probably check their emails!

Just now, Not_A_Crook said:

Nope --- I also applied for IR but haven't heard anything yet. It's still really early

Thank you! Sorry, I think the anxiety is just getting to me a bit. These next few weeks are going to feel like forever ?