2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

3 minutes ago, ballofstress said:

Can we assume that if we haven't gotten an interview invite from Vanderbilt that it is a rejection? 

I wouldn't assume that yet! They said they will contact applicants about interviews sometime between the first and second week of February so I'm keeping my hopes up~ Especially since one of the posts mentioning an interview said it was through their POI, meaning its not a mass, generic interview email from the department. So it wouldn't surprise me if they were sent out gradually

16 minutes ago, ballofstress said:

Can we assume that if we haven't gotten an interview invite from Vanderbilt that it is a rejection? 

Probably not. I have reliable info (from a current student there) that they do not hold interviews for all subfields. CP is likely not to conduct interviews, for instance.

29 minutes ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

Probably not. I have reliable info (from a current student there) that they do not hold interviews for all subfields. CP is likely not to conduct interviews, for instance.

Man - you're like - the perfect spy. :D

Do you have insights into UNT, ASU or FSU by any chance? ?

Update from UCSB

____

Hello [DanTheGrad],

The admissions comm will begin inviting applicants for interviews in the coming weeks.

Best,

Kathryn Ficke
Staff Graduate Program Advisor

____

Good luck, everyone!

Edited by DanTheGrad
Formating

1 hour ago, CapTipps said:

Yes, I received an offer this morning! Beyond thrilled! Second time applying there

53 minutes ago, applicant19 said:

Claiming a Northwestern admit. American politics. I'm so thrilled!

Congrats to both of you ! Btw, was it a "check your portal" type of email or one from the program/graduate school director or a POI? tyy

Update from UMD - College Park
____
Greetings [DanTheGrad],

Thank you for your email and interest in our Ph.D. program. Our committee expects to have decisions by mid-February; however, that timeline is subject to change. Our goal is to admit the applicants we believe will be successful in the program. 

We strive for an entering class of 9- 10 students. The number we admit varies from year to year based on a variety of factors. Note that the number of applications and the acceptance rates also vary by subfield. We offer most incoming Ph.D. students a competitive five-year funding package that includes tuition remission and benefits. The most outstanding applications are also eligible for University-wide fellowships and/or summer fellowships. Students can also apply for funds to support their research through the individual subfields.

You can learn more about our admissions process and other FAQs here: https://gvpt.umd.edu/landingtopic/graduate-admissions.

Best, 
Elaine Rudder

____
Good luck, everyone!

Hey everyone! Long time lurker here :) I am also awaiting results -- haven't received one yet; so the anxiety is building! However, I did receive an email from NYU GSAS today asking me to attend a Graduate Students of Color program. The wording is, " Whether you already plan to attend NYU, or even if you enroll elsewhere..." There's been no change on my portal. I was wondering if anyone else received the same email? Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those already admitted!

26 minutes ago, polyglotaspiring said:

Hey everyone! Long time lurker here :) I am also awaiting results -- haven't received one yet; so the anxiety is building! However, I did receive an email from NYU GSAS today asking me to attend a Graduate Students of Color program. The wording is, " Whether you already plan to attend NYU, or even if you enroll elsewhere..." There's been no change on my portal. I was wondering if anyone else received the same email? Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those already admitted!

I got this too,  my sense is it's generic email they send to all applicable GSAS applicants, unfortunately. Hopefully NYU releases decisions soon though!!

11 minutes ago, Dickinson said:

I've applied for the NYU and didn't receive the email.

So there may be something in it :)

Obvi not sure who applies here and who doesn't but I think it was only sent to applicants who self-identified on their apps as POC. It's for a panel or something about POC mentorship in Grad/Prof school. I totally missed that part at first so wanted to point it out in case. If you do identify as POC and didn't get the email, I wouldn't worry anyway, the first line is VERY clear that it's intended for both admitted AND prospective students.

19 hours ago, polisciboy said:

Feeling the same way, although I don't think you need to read too much into the referral. I remember some schools asked about referring to a masters if you don't get into the PhD program and I usually said no.

God, i feel the same way too. 

i got a waitlist from a school i was led to beleive im already into. I had 3 meetings with 3 different professors, who all expressed alot of interest in my research agenda and that they could all be a right fit for advisors. I was already at a stage where the lead graduate director was trying to convince me of the appeal of the city and to try to bump their program to the top of my list. I was so excited tbh because the chemistry was so right. Suddenly i was waitlisted there and rejected from uofchicago and referred to the cir program. God, i dont need a third masters, i just want to do my research. (Yes im the person who ranted about that earlier on the results submission ?)

im already a research fellow at two thinks tanks, and a contributor at an ir magazine while balancing my corporate job. 

all my mental energy is going into not thinking: what am i doing wrong??