2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

12 minutes ago, bmo103 said:

Rejected from Chicago. Didn’t even get a masters program referral. What an absolute garbage way to start the cycle. 

I think I shot too high with the schools I applied to. It’s a hard pill to have to swallow

Feeling the same way, although I don't think you need to read too much into the referral. I remember some schools asked about referring to a masters if you don't get into the PhD program and I usually said no.

4 minutes ago, polisciboy said:

Feeling the same way, although I don't think you need to read too much into the referral. I remember some schools asked about referring to a masters if you don't get into the PhD program and I usually said no.

To be completely honest I would have probably said no too, even if I didn’t end up getting into anywhere else. 

I just took it to mean that I was so undesirable as a candidate that they didn’t want me in the department in any capacity. I don’t feel good about my chances at my other schools. 

Edited by bmo103

4 hours ago, ShowroomDummy said:

Hello! Was anyone rejected by UCSD but referred to their MPP/MIA? 

Yes, I received that email too. I have heard the GPS school is very good and their master's programs are nice as well. If you are considering a master's program, I recommend you reply to the email and ask for more information. 

Has anyone else applied to Florida International University? I just got an email from them, asking for official transcripts. This is pretty unreasonable, given that almost all universities make do with unofficial transcripts for the application process, and only ask official transcripts for admission.

14 hours ago, IAMK said:

Why does Michigan State University have only one post? Is MSU supposed to be late for the official announcement?

I posted MSU's response to their decision timelines a few days ago cause I was also wondering what was happening. 

___

Dear [DanTheGrad],

Thank you for your email. I can report that last week the admissions committee was meeting to make some decisions. I expect them to start sending notifications either this week or sometime into mid-February. Take care.

Best,
Sarah Krause 

Michigan State University

___

Hope this helps make things a little less stressful. :)

8 minutes ago, DanTheGrad said:

I posted MSU's response to their decision timelines a few days ago cause I was also wondering what was happening. 

___

Dear [DanTheGrad],

Thank you for your email. I can report that last week the admissions committee was meeting to make some decisions. I expect them to start sending notifications either this week or sometime into mid-February. Take care.

Best,
Sarah Krause 

Michigan State University

___

Hope this helps make things a little less stressful. :)

Thank you for your response!!

Have a nice day~

2 minutes ago, Not_A_Crook said:

I recall reading on their website that they specifically say that not all Admissions notices will be released at once 

You're right, thank you! I just checked and the website does say "Decisions will be complete by February 2022, and we do not send all decisions at the same time." But that could mean both 1) not all acceptances are sent out at the same time and 2) acceptances are sent out first and rejections at another time. We shall see ! ?

23 hours ago, weast said:

Hi everyone, I'm not applying to PhDs in Political Science, but as I'm currently affiliated with CIR at Chicago, I wanted to echo what @jjiffy and @pbspoon said about CIR and MACSS if you're interested in getting more data/stats training. The latitude for methodology under these programs is very broad, and if you want more training in data analytics/stats/formal modeling you can definitely get it here. Unlike most master's programs, you're able to take classes with PhD students, which was vital for developing my own research. 

I would also add that CIR has a PhD bootcamp for current students and alumni, which I found to be very helpful. 

Finally, I wanted to share that someone I know was accepted to UChicago (I believe in CP) yesterday. I hope this helps clarify some confusion people have. 

I wish you all the best of luck with this application season! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you! 

Does anyone know/have any speculation when UChicago CIR decisions will come out for those who applied directly to the MA?