2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

34 minutes ago, probably.chris said:

I have not. According to this website that aggregates gradcafe data, we should expect to hear probably sometime this week or next.

(I believe this link got posted here awhile ago but always nice to repost it as it's such a useful resource.)

I'll also note that, according to that website, we're running late on Princeton results--anyone heard anything there?

5 minutes ago, probably.chris said:

I'll also note that, according to that website, we're running late on Princeton results--anyone heard anything there?

We discussed that a bit a few pages ago - it seems these January Princeton results are a reoccurring troll. Last year, someone posted an admit in January, but people only claimed Princeton results on the forums on the second week of February.

7 minutes ago, probably.chris said:

The automatic email they sent when I submitted my application said decisions wouldn’t come out before February 1st. 

The super early Princeton results may have been fakes. 

9 minutes ago, Paul123fasd said:

Thanks for letting us know! Did you apply to the joint PhD program? 

No, just polisci... it seems they use a waitlist rather than directly send and collect offers, which means they want to control the cohort size cautiously.

I am also puzzled why there is no one claiming accept before I got waitlist

Edited by modesteffect

8 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

No, just polisci... it seems they use a waitlist rather than directly send and collect offers, which means they want to control the cohort size cautiously.

hm... was the email from the DGS? or just to check the portal?

31 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

Sorry, but what do you mean? If they use a waitlist, why would someone claim admission? 

32 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

ah i mean wouldnt they send out admissions first since they must be first produced?

Yeah, can't see the logic... Maybe because admissions and rejections are updated in the portal and waitlists are emailed? Just speculating though, really don't know how applicants are usually notified about admissions at UCSD

26 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

ah i mean wouldnt they send out admissions first since they must be first produced?

there's a few plausible reasons i think you're not considering. It's not like UCSD has admitted primarily from the WL before so I don't think it's reasonable to think that that's what they're doing now. 

1. Someone much more fast (like a dept admin) sends the WL, while professors (notoriously slow) send acceptances

2. There are not a lot of acceptances, and those people aren't on this forum.  

3. Acceptances need to go through more admin than waitlists (create funding packages, etc)

49 minutes ago, uncle_socks said:

there's a few plausible reasons i think you're not considering. It's not like UCSD has admitted primarily from the WL before so I don't think it's reasonable to think that that's what they're doing now. 

1. Someone much more fast (like a dept admin) sends the WL, while professors (notoriously slow) send acceptances

2. There are not a lot of acceptances, and those people aren't on this forum.  

3. Acceptances need to go through more admin than waitlists (create funding packages, etc)

agree, thats probably how it is working. ucsd didnt seem to use waitlist in last few years, but at least from my case, they are using it this year. probably learnt from other schools last year waitlist is a great way to control cohort size.

Edited by modesteffect

45 minutes ago, Lostinthewoods said:

I just checked my UCSD portal, and it did change, as the checklist of materials is gone, but no decision. Weird.

My portal also looks like this! Very strange!