2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

14 hours ago, second-time said:

For those of you who got into Columbia, does it show up on your portal at all or was it just the email? And what's your subfield? I'm assuming if I'm not part of this wave of emails I'm probably out of the running

Was about to ask the same thing! Was anyone applying in the IR subfield?

5 hours ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Hi everyone! First of all, congratulations to those accepted! Thats brilliant and Columbia is an absolutely amazing school. 

I was hoping to ask for some advice - I got waitlisted from Harvard (Public Policy), and while I assume no one really turns down their place there, I dont know if anyone is familiar with how many people are waitlisted? or the chances of acceptance after that? Sorry, its my top school and Im wondering

Hi Esther. I'm at Harvard now and there was somebody in one of my classes from the HKS PhD program who was complaining about not having enough funding for all five (+) years. The HKS PhD program is not considered as prestigious (not saying this should matter; just stating a fact) on campus as the polsci one in the Dept of Govt. She said she would have gone to Princeton's Public Policy PhD program in a heartbeat had she gotten in.

To answer your question: my feeling is that several people turn it down. The story with the more 'academic' PhD in Government in GSAS is different --- I doubt many would turn that down.

Either way, congrats! You have many tough decisions ahead.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:22 AM, sbidyanta said:

I guess they meant that an acceptance at a better institute (higher ranked, better fit, etc) would have been better. 

I have a funded acceptance from University of Cincinnati, but I'd be absolutely over the moon if USC or Northwestern (lost all hope for that one tbh) also send an admit. 

I'm thrilled with my PSU acceptance and package, but also hoping for MIT or Cornell. We shall see!!

1 hour ago, soupgirl said:

Yes, IR - I received the acceptance email yesterday afternoon but no change to portal as of yet.

Thank you! At least now I know. I think the uncertainty is the worst part of this ? 

Congratulations again! Its a brilliant opportunity 

36 minutes ago, midd1324 said:

To all those who didn't receive a word from Columbia, it could be worse - I got my MA from Columbia in Political Science last year and was encouraged to apply by faculty to the PhD, and didn't receive an acceptance ?

Damn, Im so sorry. I hope you are selected to other programs anyway and have a wonderful PhD experience

28 minutes ago, natsecguy said:

Hi Esther. I'm at Harvard now and there was somebody in one of my classes from the HKS PhD program who was complaining about not having enough funding for all five (+) years. The HKS PhD program is not considered as prestigious (not saying this should matter; just stating a fact) on campus as the polsci one in the Dept of Govt. She said she would have gone to Princeton's Public Policy PhD program in a heartbeat had she gotten in.

To answer your question: my feeling is that several people turn it down. The story with the more 'academic' PhD in Government in GSAS is different --- I doubt many would turn that down.

Either way, congrats! You have many tough decisions ahead.

Thank you so much for this answer! I really really appreciate it. I really hope I get a chance - In all honestly its not so much the program Im interested in, but the three professors I found that are doing my dream work. Its an absolute perfect fit in my view, and I loved reading their work. 

Thank you again, and I send you my best wishes as well with the application cycle. Stay strong everyone!

20 minutes ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Thank you so much for this answer! I really really appreciate it. I really hope I get a chance - In all honestly its not so much the program Im interested in, but the three professors I found that are doing my dream work. Its an absolute perfect fit in my view, and I loved reading their work. 

Thank you again, and I send you my best wishes as well with the application cycle. Stay strong everyone!

Hang in there, I am also really hoping to hear back from a waitlist :( By the way, why did you put Georgetown as an assumed rejection? I had the "interview" with them last Friday and they told me I may hear back in 7-10 days and I don't see that any acceptances yet?

1 minute ago, Movies_1411 said:

Hang in there, I am also really hoping to hear back from a waitlist :( By the way, why did you put Georgetown as an assumed rejection? I had the "interview" with them last Friday and they told me I may hear back in 7-10 days and I don't see that any acceptances yet?

Hi! Best of luck with the waitlist! About Georgetown, please dont worry. The only reason I have it as an assumed rejection is because I really really didnt do well on the interview. I emphasized a policy approach waaay to much, and dont think it went well at all. But I really hope your interview went great and you hear back with wonderful news. 

Hi all,

I know I don't post a lot on here, but after somewhat slow week (congrats to all those who did get in places, however!), I just wanted to reiterate how much I appreciate this group. This is my third (!!!!!) cycle applying, and my second cycle having found this, and the amount of support I've gotten from this group has made the last two cycles sooo much easier to deal with. Applying to PhD's is a really really unique, anxiety-inducing experience that not a lot of people (in the world!) have had to do, and it's so nice to have found such a supportive group going through the same thing. Sorry to get sappy on all of ya'll, but wanted to reach out and say THANK YOU and hopefully uplift those of you who aren't feeling great after this week, and give the extra boost to those of you who got in places. Just all of you being here has made at least one person (me) feel better about the place that I'm in. None of us are in this alone, and regardless of this cycle, I truly believe that we'll all achieve our academic goals--at least at some point! lol

Edited by kmccorm2

1 hour ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

There is a good chance they'll take people from the waitlist! Hang in there.

And thank you :)

Just an FYI, I never did hear back from Northwestern. Which kinda says something about the responsiveness of the program. Even if you're getting a ton of emails, you should be able send a simple reply in the course of three days (I should know, I manage an email that gets hundreds of emails on a regular basis).

I'm surprised no one has heard from UNC . . . 

31 minutes ago, cber9604 said:

Claiming a Georgetown waitlist for IR ! GU is my only application with McGill this year, so please decline offers if you intend to go somewhere else :)

Good luck to everybody.

Sigh, I also got offcial waitlist email from gu. getting nuts..... ? hopefully people soon decline those they wont go.

Edited by modesteffect

1 minute ago, modesteffect said:

Sigh, I also got offcial waitlist email from GU. getting nuts

Hey, it's still a good sign. You got a few waitlists from great programs, I would not worry about it. I think GU has a good chance of going into the waitlist just because it is not top 10. Keep your head up... for me a waitlist was a great surprise and honor ! Hope it works out.

2 minutes ago, cber9604 said:

Hey, it's still a good sign. You got a few waitlists from great programs, I would not worry about it. I think GU has a good chance of going into the waitlist just because it is not top 10. Keep your head up... for me a waitlist was a great surprise and honor ! Hope it works out.

Thanks buddy, hope you will hear good news soon! Why it has a chance of going into waitlist b/c its not top 10?