2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

9 hours ago, fortheloveofgrad said:

Hello! Waitlisted 2 months ago and now received a request to have a "call" with the director of admissions but the language is very vague, the email just says they will be considering some waitlisted students for admission after all. What should I expect? Is this an interview? If anyone has a similar experience, would love to hear what was discussed in this type of call

It likely means they are choosing 1 from >1 waitlists, otherwise they would directly send you an offer

5 hours ago, Anton1996 said:

Just got an unofficial offer from Duke, off the waitlist. They said to ask for an extension of a few days from the other program i'm considering until Duke Graduate School sends me an official letter. I've asked for the extension and been granted one. Most likely will accept Duke if the official offer comes. 

Very happy, but just want the cycle to end now! 

Yes take it! Congrats

On 3/29/2022 at 11:32 PM, PoliticalScience_Msta said:

More importantly, we're all feeling the pressure. Be sure you understand the situation correctly, and communicate in a manner that does not come across as a rant.  For starters, you read the NYU communication incorrectly.  What do you have to offer people in our situation, other than an emotional rant? Are you truly trying to help people?

As an older PhD applicant who has served as a senior leader in large organizations, I will tell you that these traits matter. Quite frankly, your posts are kind of annoying....and they will come across that way to people who may one day serve on hiring panels in the organizations you hope to join.

So this is a truth that some people have to accept. There's reality and then there's fiction.  The poster is spot on here. I would NEVER hire someone with such a whiny attitude. I love critiques because they help my company to be better (Not to be cocky, but I'm kind of a big deal.....I'll leave it at that.  If you find this offensive, please contact me for my credentials). But I don't need someone who just wants to blow off steam without a path forward or some intellectual basis for his/her concern.  Again, there's reality and there's fiction.  I'm just providing a dose of reality here.

I suspect the following for most (or all) of the people who provided a negative reaction to this post: they don't actually have work experience. And if they do, they don't have actual leadership experience.  Just sayin...

Edited by PhD_Soul

42 minutes ago, PhD_Soul said:

So this is a truth that some people have to accept. There's reality and then there's fiction.  The poster is spot on here. I would NEVER hire someone with such a whiny attitude. I love critiques because they help my company to be better (Not to be cocky, but I'm kind of a big deal.....I'll leave it at that.  If you find this offensive, please contact me for my credentials). But I don't need someone who just wants to blow off steam without a path forward or some intellectual basis for his/her concern.  Again, there's reality and there's fiction.  I'm just providing a dose of reality here.

I suspect the following for most (or all) of the people who provided a negative reaction to this post: they don't actually have work experience. And if they do, they don't have actual leadership experience.  Just sayin...

l o l what

Hi! Sorry if it's been asked before, but I had a quick question about letters of continued interest. I sent an email to the department when I found out I was waitlisted, but I'm wondering if I should also send one to my POI. When I reached out to the school, I was told that they would re-evaluate applicants and start sending letters out after the April 15th deadline, so I'm wondering if it's still appropriate to send a letter at this point or if it's best to just wait it out. Thanks!

On 4/14/2022 at 5:50 PM, modesteffect said:

Just got extended waitlist offers by Harvard and UCSD… anybody got off waitlist at Princeton? 

Good luck to all! There will be lots of movements these two days. Fingers crossed for everyone and never lose hope!

Were you offer finaid too?

3 hours ago, coffeecoffee365 said:

Hi! Sorry if it's been asked before, but I had a quick question about letters of continued interest. I sent an email to the department when I found out I was waitlisted, but I'm wondering if I should also send one to my POI. When I reached out to the school, I was told that they would re-evaluate applicants and start sending letters out after the April 15th deadline, so I'm wondering if it's still appropriate to send a letter at this point or if it's best to just wait it out. Thanks!

At this point, there is no harm sending it again 

On 4/15/2022 at 11:28 PM, Anton1996 said:

Just got an unofficial offer from Duke, off the waitlist. They said to ask for an extension of a few days from the other program i'm considering until Duke Graduate School sends me an official letter. I've asked for the extension and been granted one. Most likely will accept Duke if the official offer comes. 

Very happy, but just want the cycle to end now! 

Did your offer include funding?

Was rejected from the UMD waitlist. My cycle is over this season. Truly best of luck to y'all. I have copied the email received:

"Greetings,

Thank you for your interest in the GVPT graduate program. While there was strong interest in your application, we unfortunately are unable to offer you a place in the incoming class. Given the high number of applications, we cannot offer individualized feedback on applications.  

GVPT Admissions Committee"

On 4/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, sircarollus said:

Was rejected from the UMD waitlist. My cycle is over this season. Truly best of luck to y'all. I have copied the email received:

"Greetings,

Thank you for your interest in the GVPT graduate program. While there was strong interest in your application, we unfortunately are unable to offer you a place in the incoming class. Given the high number of applications, we cannot offer individualized feedback on applications.  

GVPT Admissions Committee"

Sorry to read this. 
i hope you have other options, even in the absence of those, i am sending so much warmth and support.

it gets better

Edited by Rigidqueen