2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

16 hours ago, smallcrown said:

Congrats to your UGA acceptance! Great school and actually one of my favorites. Have you made up your mind yet as to where you want to go? I see you were accepted to GWU as well?

thanks! i'm still waiting on a bunch of apps so i'm not sure yet, will probably depend a lot on funding. GWU is closer to family, though, so slightly leaning there. honestly right now i'm just excited to have options!

Is contacting an professor whom I am interested helpful to my admission? I contacted the professor I am interested in and actively appealed myself to the professor. The professor's response was positive, but the professor said she was not a member of the committee this year.

19 minutes ago, IAMK said:

Is contacting an professor whom I am interested helpful to my admission? I contacted the professor I am interested in and actively appealed myself to the professor. The professor's response was positive, but the professor said she was not a member of the committee this year.

Are you asking if your potential POI has a say at some point of the process? 

1 hour ago, beyondborders said:

Thank you! I really do think they are still conducting interviews. Hopefully we both hear good news from them soon!

Thank you, I hope so too! ?

3 hours ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

RE: Vandy, a friend who was admitted there on a past cycle told me the adcomm didn't do interviews for all subfields (my friend didn't, and she's in CP). So while getting an interview is a good thing, not getting one might just mean that your subfield is not doing them.

And ty too, that's also reassuring~

1 hour ago, IAMK said:

There are different ways in which admissions work. In some cases, there is a committee that makes all of the decisions. Sometimes they ask for feedback, on the final list, but that's it. That seems to be the case here, or she said that to be polite.

1 hour ago, MrsPhD said:

입학이 작동하는 방식은 다양합니다. 어떤 경우에는 모든 결정을 내리는 위원회가 있습니다. 때때로 그들은 최종 목록에 대한 피드백을 요청하지만 그게 전부입니다. 그것은 여기의 경우인 것 같습니다. 아니면 그녀는 공손하게 말했습니다.

Thank you for your response. I hope the latter is the way of committee.

2 minutes ago, IAMK said:

Yes I am. 

My knowledge is, all schools in polisci assign the main task to committee. Some will ask poi's opinions if they find good candidates (afaik ucsd, stanford), some not (penn state, mcgill). i would think the former is the majority.

6 hours ago, DanTheGrad said:

To those who have heard from Boston College - How did they contact you? Via email or through the portal? 

They emailed us to check the portal. Rejected, CP subfield.

11 hours ago, ekb98 said:

thanks! i'm still waiting on a bunch of apps so i'm not sure yet, will probably depend a lot on funding. GWU is closer to family, though, so slightly leaning there. honestly right now i'm just excited to have options!

I'd be excited too. So far there have only been rejections. Would have been nice to start the cycle out with a random acceptance mail instead and getting the rejections later. :D

6 hours ago, smallcrown said:

I'd be excited too. So far there have only been rejections. Would have been nice to start the cycle out with a random acceptance mail instead and getting the rejections later. :D

You're still waiting on a bunch though, you got this! What if you get like 6 acceptances in a month from now, all in one week? That'll make the early rejections feel SO worth it :)

On 1/26/2022 at 7:09 PM, catiecatie said:

Also claiming an acceptance at UT Austin! IR/methods subfield

On 1/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, scared_phd said:

I thought there was something wrong with my device. Good to have the forum back online. 

I also got accepted at UT Austin. Pretty much the same thing as you: email by DGS followed by an email from another prof on the adcomm and a few graduate students. A good program and a great fit for me. 

I also haven't heard nothing from Emory and Berkeley. Saw a bunch of rejection claims for Emory on the results page but nothing yet; hope that's a good sign. Desperately waiting for Berkeley ?

Congrats!!! Could you guys please share what is the average funding package at UT Austin? I've heard it's not very competitive, but I'm not sure what I should expect...

1 hour ago, scared_phd said:

Another Emory rejection posted today. When are they gonna send acceptances? This is inconsistently weird!

The result says the applicant received the decision on the 26th, which is the same day the other rejections were posted. Also, some people claimed rejections here on the thread. I believe they are legit, they just might be coming by subfield. Or not hearing from them yet could mean we are on a final shortlist or something of the sorts. Hopefully we'll have some news this coming week!

39 minutes ago, CapTipps said:

Congrats!!! Could you guys please share what is the average funding package at UT Austin? I've heard it's not very competitive, but I'm not sure what I should expect...

They offered me a 4 year, $22k/y TAship, meaning that I would have to TA every semester and only have 4 years of guaranteed funding (though it seems everyone gets more funding after the 4th year). The package is definitely below average for T20 programs, but the department seems great and I talked to some people there and everyone is very nice.

1 minute ago, scared_phd said:

Another Berkeley acceptance posted on the results page lol. Supposedly received on the 27th but posted today. Don't know what to make of this but ok I guess. 

I’ve said it before but I’m remaining hopeful. The chances of no one who got an “acceptance” claiming it on the forum are slim. 

I get the sense we have a very dedicated UCB troll! Its such a top program that I feel there would be waaay more people posting happy af acceptance posts, at least one or two people claiming acceptances here, and they even go into way more detail than people normally do to make it believable.& I didn't even apply to Berkeley so this isn't me trying to reassure myself lool

3 hours ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

They offered me a 4 year, $22k/y TAship, meaning that I would have to TA every semester and only have 4 years of guaranteed funding (though it seems everyone gets more funding after the 4th year). The package is definitely below average for T20 programs, but the department seems great and I talked to some people there and everyone is very nice.

Thank you for answering! This really helps me get some perspective. I was waitlisted there and although it is a great department, the funding scenario makes me a little worried... Also I feel like applicants in the waitlist don't have as much room to negotiate offers (even if you have other offers to put in the table). Hopefully you can increase your funding package! I know that some grad students there managed to get 27k/year (years ago though, I think things are way tighter now...). Anyway, thanks again!

I also think the Berkeley acceptances on the survey page is super suspicious. However, one thing I don't get is, if the Berkeley acceptances are from a troll, why would he or she not make a fake post about it on this Forum? I don't think it makes sense for them to not know about this forum since it's the most active forum going on for poli sci. 

The phrase "Just finding about this forum" from the Berkeley acceptance post seems super suspicious.