2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

13 minutes ago, ETea24 said:

For the past three cycles I've been on this forum, every year around this time there would be fake posts about Berkeley acceptance. Judging by the fact that nobody in this forum claims these acceptances so far, I would be inclined to say that this is just part of this weird tradition...Although typically, when these posts take place, it means that real admission decisions are coming in...

God I hope you’re right

5 minutes ago, Agape9453 said:

I claimed the acceptance for U of Minnesota. CP

Congrats! How were you notified? Generic email advising to check your portal for an update or a personalized email from DGS?

Also, currently Berkeley is teaching remotely and would resume in-person activities next week. My guess is that they would convene a physical meeting before sending out any result. So the expected timeline should be about next week. (However, this is entirely my own speculation and I could be wrong. I am confident about the fake posts from past cycles though). 

19 minutes ago, ETea24 said:

For the past three cycles I've been on this forum, every year around this time there would be fake posts about Berkeley acceptance. Judging by the fact that nobody in this forum claims these acceptances so far, I would be inclined to say that this is just part of this weird tradition...Although typically, when these posts take place, it means that real admission decisions are coming in...

Edited by ETea24

Just now, hawnsay said:

Congrats! How were you notified? Generic email advising to check your portal for an update or a personalized email from DGS?

Nah! The DGS emailed me with a customized package. Fully-funded, and the official mail is coming soon.

57 minutes ago, ekb98 said:

No prob! Stipend was about $15,000, with a nom for a fellowship that would add $7k/year. I believe its based on doing some kind of assistantship all 5 yrs.

edit: and thank you! I'm excited ? 

Damn $15k guaranteed with the POSSIBILITY of getting up to $21k. That $15k is a bit rough imo. Fingers crossed for you on getting that additional $7k!

12 minutes ago, ETea24 said:

Also, currently Berkeley is teaching remotely and would resume in-person activities next week. My guess is that they would convene a physical meeting before sending out any result. So the expected timeline should be about next week. (However, this is entirely my own speculation and I could be wrong. I am confident about the fake posts from past cycles though). 

Seems legit, see the sub-comments there

1 hour ago, DanTheGrad said:

I think it was me. And while I will say that I was mostly joking, it kinda helps reduce my anxiety.

This is a very anxious time for everyone, and we all deal with anxiety differently. For some, it might be easier to disconnect from their apps and wait it out. For me, I am currently dealing with the two-person problem where my partner of 5 years and I are applying to Ph.D. programs (he is neuroscience), and we are super anxious that we will be separated for the next 5-7 years. So I check my portals because 1) it helps me pass the time, and 2) it reminds me that I am still in the running for my programs and still have the chance to stay with my partner.

I know you probably made this comment in good fun; still, I wanted to share my personal thought process on why I check portals multiple times a day. Wishing you a successful app cycle, and I'm rooting for you.

I totally get you! Me and my partner haven’t seen each other for almost two years because of Covid (I am in Europe and he is in the US). I am super anxious that I cannot get an offer and meet him in the US.

I wish you can get what you want eventually! Good luck!

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

I got admitted to MSU without an interview last year. I am not sure if they changed the procedure this year but not hearing about an interview might still be a good sign for MSU.

Thank you very much!!

49 minutes ago, hawnsay said:

Damn $15k guaranteed with the POSSIBILITY of getting up to $21k. That $15k is a bit rough imo. Fingers crossed for you on getting that additional $7k!

yeah, at least athens is cheap! (at least compared to nyc lol)

1 minute ago, ekb98 said:

yeah, at least athens is cheap! (at least compared to nyc lol)

I feel you on that.  I live in the Los Angeles area and while it isn't as bad as NYC, it sure ain't cheap here.  Mizzou is offering me slightly more than $18k per year, which is pretty good considering how cheap Columbia, MO is...but it is also a lower ranked school and not my top choice.  Nonetheless, I'm still glad that I have at least one option right now.

So, what do we think about the UC Berkeley acceptances? The department says that they expect to make decisions around mid-February, no later than March 1, and that they will contact us by email. If we look at the acceptances from 2021, they seem to be fairly spread out in time (starting on January 26 through February 10--the latter applies to rejections too), and in previous years (2019 and 2020) acceptances came around January 26.

I'm not sure what to think about this. Besides, they are currenly working remotely, as @ETea24 told us.

In any case, I hope any of those claiming admissions can tell us something else, and congrats if you were admitted! :)

7 hours ago, ekb98 said:

the UGA acceptance is me - I got an email from the DGS with acceptance and funding info but portal is actually not updated yet. More info on decision process below, copy pasted from the FAQ on the department PhD application page:

• When will I hear whether I’ve been accepted for admission?

Once your file is complete, it will be considered at the next Graduate Committee meeting. The committee will discuss and vote on your application and then send its recommendation to the Graduate School, which makes the official decision on your application. The Graduate School normally contacts you 1-2 weeks after the Departmental recommendation is submitted. If your application arrives by our priority consideration deadline (December 1), you can anticipate receiving a decision by late February.

Congrats to your UGA acceptance! Great school and actually one of my favorites. Have you made up your mind yet as to where you want to go? I see you were accepted to GWU as well?

13 hours ago, Movies_1411 said:

Yes! got the same email with the Comparative chair cc'ed, so I think they are doing it by subfield. Good luck, this week is being so long

Do you mind sharing when the interview is taking place? (Early/mid/end of next week)? This could give us a bit of an indication of when to expect the results. ?

7 minutes ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

True! its seems people posted results from different subfields

I saw people from CP and IR but I may be missing something. Has anyone seen an update on the Berkeley portal? I see nothing new.

3 minutes ago, smallcrown said:

I think usnews is the most common. 

Me too! I also used QS World University Rankings (I heard some criticism about it which I don't remember exactly at this moment), the Shanghai Ranking, and TIMES Higher Education. But again, usnews seems to be the most common.

6 minutes ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

Another Berkeley acceptance posted. Anyone willing to claim...?

It seems like the emails from all of those posters came at around the same time. 

I hope it’s not the only wave of acceptances because if it is then I can consider myself rejected. It is odd that no one here has claimed an acceptance.