2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

19 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

Thanks, I'll probably do that. 

Are you interested in Kansas at all? I see you applied there, and I did too. I know it isn't super high ranking, but I'm very interested in the program. 

58 minutes ago, ballofstress said:

Are you interested in Kansas at all? I see you applied there, and I did too. I know it isn't super high ranking, but I'm very interested in the program. 

Kansas isn't really the closest in terms of fit. That being said, if an offer comes in I'll still consider it. 

To be completely honest (and again, I don't how if I should say this), one of the main reasons I applied there is because they were one of the few ones to give me an application fee waiver. 

Has anyone heard anything from UCSB? Was told that interview would be sent out in the coming weeks, but I am not sure if I just didn't get one or if they are just really taking their time to send them.

50 minutes ago, PoliSci_PhDgal said:

Longtime lurker. So glad I finally got my verification email (after a zillion requests) and can post here finally! Yes, UCSB has been awfully quiet so far.

Welcome to the forum! Yeah, its weird that UCSB also wants to still have interviews even as we get closer to March. Last year, interviews were in January and decisions were out early February. Part of me knows that timelines constantly change, but the other part of me is stressed by the program's silence. 

Is it generally frowned upon to reach out to a program coordinator to ask about the timeline of application decisions? I have had previous contact with said program coordinator but I don't know if it is appropriate or considered bad to reach out to them regarding this? Let me know what you guys think. 

1 minute ago, scared_phd said:

Is it generally frowned upon to reach out to a program coordinator to ask about the timeline of application decisions? I have had previous contact with said program coordinator but I don't know if it is appropriate or considered bad to reach out to them regarding this? Let me know what you guys think. 

So far the replies were very friendly. I think they know that we're kinda excited and would like to know more. 

...I just wouldn't email them multiple times over the same question. 

31 minutes ago, DanTheGrad said:

Welcome to the forum! Yeah, its weird that UCSB also wants to still have interviews even as we get closer to March. Last year, interviews were in January and decisions were out early February. Part of me knows that timelines constantly change, but the other part of me is stressed by the program's silence. 

Thanks! :D ugh. +1. Delaying the release of results by a few days/weeks when compared to past cycles gives so much anxiety! But anyway, good look everyone! Hoping we hear from other schools before this week ends :)

1 minute ago, scared_phd said:

I reached out to every program I applied to asking about their prospective timelines. There is nothing wrong with reaching out as they are there to answer questions about the application process, which includes asking about timelines. Every program that responded to my email did so in a kind and timely manner. I don't think you should have any trouble. 

51 minutes ago, hyccup said:

Why is everyone so firm on Northwestern being done with acceptances? Only 4 have been posted this year and they normally don't send out all at the same time. Has anyone heard something I haven't? I'm an NU undergrad for context.

I really don't know. Last year I suffered the same way and only heard back from them in March (with a rejection) -- but most rejections were sent off during February, I guess. I got an offer this cycle (on Feb 3) and the only thing I know is that we will be having a kick-off meeting on the last week of February, so I guess that offers should be made by then -- Hope that helps. (Btw, I would love to know more about the department. If you have anything you'd think it would be important for me to know in advance, I'd appreciate it)

Edited by CapTipps

1 hour ago, hyccup said:

Why is everyone so firm on Northwestern being done with acceptances? Only 4 have been posted this year and they normally don't send out all at the same time. Has anyone heard something I haven't? I'm an NU undergrad for context.

because every year northwestern takes FOREVER to send out all the rejections. They seem to really stagger the rejections, but all the acceptances come early and nearly at once. But if you email Northwestern they reply with some sneaky wording like "not all decisions have been sent yet," but they really mean all the affirmative decisions have been sent now, they just haven't sent your rejection decision because idk??? I know people here love to say no news=good news, but this historically, at this school, is not the case here, though I'd love to be wrong. 

Look at the data for Northwestern here for the past couple of years: https://martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/. Since 2017 (aside from this year, but it's clear this years' wave has happened already), no one has claimed an acceptance in February (if you read the Feb 16 2019 acceptance it's clear it's actually a reject).  But the rejections come way later in every case, and it's only rejections that come later. 4 is actually a quite reasonable amount to report here, I wouldn't expect much more. Princeton enrolls 20-30 every year and there are only 5 reports in the Results section if i read things correctly. 

Edited by uncle_socks

Has anyone else received a strange email from OSU saying "congratulations on being admitted" with virtual tour dates, dates, they previously received an email stating that the program was full? I'm really confused. Thinking they may have just sent it out to everyone who applied on accident. 

19 minutes ago, kufambrian said:

Has anyone else received a strange email from OSU saying "congratulations on being admitted" with virtual tour dates, dates, they previously received an email stating that the program was full? I'm really confused. Thinking they may have just sent it out to everyone who applied on accident. 

I received an email about a Q&A session and some info on visit days a few minutes ago. Nothing about virtual tour dates or the program being full though.

1 hour ago, uncle_socks said:

because every year northwestern takes FOREVER to send out all the rejections. They seem to really stagger the rejections, but all the acceptances come early and nearly at once. But if you email Northwestern they reply with some sneaky wording like "not all decisions have been sent yet," but they really mean all the affirmative decisions have been sent now, they just haven't sent your rejection decision because idk??? I know people here love to say no news=good news, but this historically, at this school, is not the case here, though I'd love to be wrong. 

Look at the data for Northwestern here for the past couple of years: https://martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/. Since 2017 (aside from this year, but it's clear this years' wave has happened already), no one has claimed an acceptance in February (if you read the Feb 16 2019 acceptance it's clear it's actually a reject).  But the rejections come way later in every case, and it's only rejections that come later. 4 is actually a quite reasonable amount to report here, I wouldn't expect much more. Princeton enrolls 20-30 every year and there are only 5 reports in the Results section if i read things correctly. 

You're probably right but I'm (probably irrationally) choosing to remain hopeful that a few more will come in soon~ Mostly because in recent years the amount of acceptances posted have ranged between 6 and 12 and there has been some variance in terms of dates received within the same cycle. What that means for my chances is unclear though hahah

Another painfully slow day huh? I emailed my preferred program and they said they wouldn't release decisions until late February/early March. Sigh. 

By the way I also emailed WashU and Illinois about timeline. I'll report when/if I hear anything.