2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

Hi guys, 

After getting a rejection from even from UMich's Masters program, I decided I might as well mentally just end my application cycle here. I do still have 4 schools to hear back from, but those would be my way-way-out-of-my-league reach schools, so I'll be sparing myself the wishful thinking. 

It doesn't look like it's going to be the year I enroll in a PhD program, after all. 

So I wanted to see if any of the applicants who got admissions this cycle would be willing to have a chat with me about their applications; profiles, stats, publications, SOPs, rec letters, reaching out to professors. I'm pretty sure I might have missed a few things, so it would be super cool if someone would be willing to have a casual chat about their process, because I'm so going to be doing this again next year. 

23 minutes ago, Gryffindor50points said:

Hi guys, 

After getting a rejection from even from UMich's Masters program, I decided I might as well mentally just end my application cycle here. I do still have 4 schools to hear back from, but those would be my way-way-out-of-my-league reach schools, so I'll be sparing myself the wishful thinking. 

It doesn't look like it's going to be the year I enroll in a PhD program, after all. 

So I wanted to see if any of the applicants who got admissions this cycle would be willing to have a chat with me about their applications; profiles, stats, publications, SOPs, rec letters, reaching out to professors. I'm pretty sure I might have missed a few things, so it would be super cool if someone would be willing to have a casual chat about their process, because I'm so going to be doing this again next year. 

Sorry to hear that it apparently didn't work out for you this cycle - you may want to check this thread for the next one: 

For those waitlisted at WUSTL, can I ask if y'all have any information on how long a list they kept and how likely it is to be admitted? Really frustrated about my first decision deadline, which is in a week ... it's a good match with pretty generous funding package. dunno if I should keep my hopes up for wustl 

Any advice is much appreciated! 

16 minutes ago, clairella222 said:

For those waitlisted at WUSTL, can I ask if y'all have any information on how long a list they kept and how likely it is to be admitted? Really frustrated about my first decision deadline, which is in a week ... it's a good match with pretty generous funding package. dunno if I should keep my hopes up for wustl 

Any advice is much appreciated! 

Unfortunately those of us on the waitlist probably won’t hear back until mid to late March. I imagine many admitted students are waiting until the visit weekend/the rest of their decisions to roll in before accepting or rejecting WUSTL’s offer. 

You could always reach out to the DGS to ask about waitlist length/how much they use the waitlist, but they may be vague with their answer, as it seems most programs are when it comes to waitlist stuff. 

Edited by bmo103

15 hours ago, Learnerlearnerlearner said:

Sorry - I know you said you'll update when they respond, but have you heard back from them? Did you just email the general graduate admissions email? 

Hey there! I emailed the GOVT department email as featured on their website on the admissions page. I am still waiting on an email from an actual person, but I received the following automated response the minute I sent the email:

Dear Prospective Student,

Thank you for your email inquiry. It is great to hear you are interested in the PhD in Government. Someone from the program will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime we have placed the link to our “Frequently Asked Questions” below along with some other key information. The FAQ contains information regarding the application process, the program details, and should be able to assist you with any question you may have until someone from our team reaches back out to you.

https://government.georgetown.edu/ph-d-in-government/graduate-admissions/faqs/

The application deadline is December  15th

All application materials should be submitted through the application portal, none should be mailed to the University. Matters involving application logistics and procedures can best be answered by the graduate admissions office, which can be reached at gradmail@georgetown.edu.

An official transcript is not needed, only an unofficial transcript is needed for the application

The GRE is not a requirement

Best,
PhD Program Team
--
My guess is that at best they're trying to stagger  acceptances (not sure that I've seen waitlists yet). At worst, they're sending all rejections in March en masse.

I’ve emailed Cornell after getting the rejection to get constructive feedback. They politely refused to give personalized feedback, and told me this “This year with the decision to reduce offers and then having a record number of applicants applying makes it very difficult to get in.” Apparently they got 480 applications competing for 8 spots. 

I thought I was a good fit, so sad…

0a/5r/2p

55 minutes ago, Eliza1820 said:

Tried to call UNC today, phone didn't even ring...

If you haven’t gotten a decision yet I would email the Director of Grad Admissions. You are probably waitlisted. 

Hi all.

I see a lot of rejections to Michigan. I got rejected from their School for Environment and Sustainability Ph.D. program in late January, but I haven't received any word on Political Theory. Has anyone here accepted an offer from Rackham, or does anyone know how their process works?

Likewise, I am still waiting (like many of you, it seems) on Northwestern. Has anyone recieved definitive rejections or offers yet?

Edited by VehlynBlackfyre

1 hour ago, TiberiusG said:

Claiming the UPenn acceptance! POI told me I should expect official word from the graduate division later today.

Congrats!!! What’s your sub field, and who’s your POI, if I may? Also, is your POI on the admissions committee? 

11 hours ago, Gryffindor50points said:

Hi guys, 

This is my second application circle, although this one is also not that successful (only two acceptances and one is unfunded). But after seeing the profiles of those more successful applicants, I feel that getting into poli sci phd program would be much easier if you are an economist or a data scientist. Unfortunately, I am just a stupid lawyer who has difficulties in doing math.

1 hour ago, VehlynBlackfyre said:

Hi all.

I see a lot of rejections to Michigan. I got rejected from their School for Environment and Sustainability Ph.D. program in late January, but I haven't received any word on Political Theory. Has anyone here accepted an offer from Rackham, or does anyone know how their process works?

Likewise, I am still waiting (like many of you, it seems) on Northwestern. Has anyone recieved definitive rejections or offers yet?

Hi VehlynBlackfyre,

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up applying to both Political Theory programs and Environmental Sustainability/Urban Planning programs? They look quite distinct, as one sounds more philosophical and the other seems more scientific. Does a certain research interest of yours happen to concern both? Or you have complete different interests in both fields and decided to apply to both?  

7 hours ago, PoliCommsGirl said:

Hey there! I emailed the GOVT department email as featured on their website on the admissions page. I am still waiting on an email from an actual person, but I received the following automated response the minute I sent the email:

Dear Prospective Student,

Thank you for your email inquiry. It is great to hear you are interested in the PhD in Government. Someone from the program will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime we have placed the link to our “Frequently Asked Questions” below along with some other key information. The FAQ contains information regarding the application process, the program details, and should be able to assist you with any question you may have until someone from our team reaches back out to you.

https://government.georgetown.edu/ph-d-in-government/graduate-admissions/faqs/

The application deadline is December  15th

All application materials should be submitted through the application portal, none should be mailed to the University. Matters involving application logistics and procedures can best be answered by the graduate admissions office, which can be reached at gradmail@georgetown.edu.

An official transcript is not needed, only an unofficial transcript is needed for the application

The GRE is not a requirement

Best,
PhD Program Team
--
My guess is that at best they're trying to stagger  acceptances (not sure that I've seen waitlists yet). At worst, they're sending all rejections in March en masse.

Thank you so much for your reply! It doesn't look like we are getting anything today, unfortunately. I really hope they are not just going to send rejections en masse in Mid-March. Best of luck to you!!! 

46 minutes ago, hyccup said:

Northwestern's website FAQ states that all decisions will be released "by February" so...Monday hopefully? Anyone have any insider knowledge to share?

We had the first virtual visit meeting today. So I'm not sure if they would still be sending admissions... maybe waitlists?

3 hours ago, CapTipps said:

We had the first virtual visit meeting today. So I'm not sure if they would still be sending admissions... maybe waitlists?

Thank you so much for sharing. What do you mean by that? I didn't know they were doing virtual meetings. How many people attended and was it just for those who accepted the offer? Do you know? Thanks again!