Hi everyone,

I am convinced CSDCAS is going to ruin my life.

While I am clearly aware of my troubled community college era (mental health issues/pre-nursing student), I have since turned over a new leaf and set off on a better path! 

However, after officially submitting my applications for SLP Graduate school, I noticed my CSDCAS GPA has been calculated in a way that makes me look like a degenerate! This is clearly not the place to come seek refuge, but I would love some input on this from fellow graduate students (past or future) who have dealt with this similar issue. 

At this moment CSDCAS places my overall GPA (I attended 4 schools/rough college experience) at a whopping 2.89. This is way below the 3.0 requirement for every program I applied to. Currently, I am in an undergraduate CSD program (last semester) and my grades have completely transformed (3.69 overall GPA and 3.9 CSD GPA (my last 60 credit GPA is also around a 3.87). I have reached out to a majority of my schools about this and haven't really had a consistent answer. I just think this is complete BS that my past is coming back to haunt me and may be the reason I won't achieve my dreams of becoming an SLP. 

It should also be noted that I have worked in the medical field for over 5+ years (started right out of high school) and have been appointed many leadership opportunities in relevant organizational avenues (NSSLHA/NBASLH/Social Justice Activism Committee's, e.c.t.)

This is not a "my chances" thread, but a place to discuss the in's and out's of the admission committee. Any input would be very much appreciated!  

Totally hear you on the CSDCAS GPA feelings. I remember being upset seeing the drop as well. They do also calculate different aspects of the GPA if memory serves, like major, last 60-90 units, etc (I may be misremembering exactly but I do recall looking at it thoroughly to make sure there weren't any mistakes). But I wouldn't worry too much about it with your current stats. You wouldn't be the only one. 

Are you only applying to CSDCAS schools?

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2021 at 1:06 AM, meadymalarkey said:

Totally hear you on the CSDCAS GPA feelings. I remember being upset seeing the drop as well. They do also calculate different aspects of the GPA if memory serves, like major, last 60-90 units, etc (I may be misremembering exactly but I do recall looking at it thoroughly to make sure there weren't any mistakes). But I wouldn't worry too much about it with your current stats. You wouldn't be the only one. 

Are you only applying to CSDCAS schools?

Most of my schools are on CSDCAS, but I did apply to 4 programs that don’t use CSDCAS (Speech@Emerson, ASU, UMass:Amherst and University of Colorado: Boulder)