2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

Got these response from Colorado and Northwestern. 

Colorado: 

Thanks for reaching out! We are hoping to send out decision letters by the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

Take care-

——-

Northwestern: 

Thanks for your email.  We expect admissions decisions to be issued this week, so you should be hearing from us within the next few days.

Best,

19 hours ago, Meroki said:

Hi all! Are there anyone else heard back from UPitt? I saw one acceptance was posted...

I haven't and the wait is killing me. I thought Pitt was a sure thing too due to fit, relevant published work, and LORs from profs with ties to Pitt. But I am still waiting on seven other programs so... Hoping there really is just an increase in applicants this year and admissions are a bit overwhelmed. Otherwise fearing these are soft rejects at this point.

I wonder what’s going on with Yale? I applied to the joint African-American studies/sociology PhD program, but I didn’t receive an interview. However, I didn’t receive a rejection (that appears as if they went out today) either. Maybe mines is just delayed a bit? Don’t give me hope, Yale. 

9 hours ago, anxiousbutalive said:

Hey, for those who applied to NYU, did you send a shorter version of your SOP, or did you send a full version anyways? Since they asked for a maximum of 2  double-spaced pages, I feel pretty insecure about my SOP hahaha

Hey I just sent in the 2 double spaced pages. It was the shortest SoP I wrote! I structured it somewhat differently from my other statements since it had to be so concise. 

8 hours ago, anxiousapplicat said:

Hey I just sent in the 2 double spaced pages. It was the shortest SoP I wrote! I structured it somewhat differently from my other statements since it had to be so concise. 

Good luck! Just for curiosity, what are your interests? 

9 minutes ago, anxiousbutalive said:

Good luck! Just for curiosity, what are your interests? 

My interests are broadly in political sociology, bureaucracy, welfare and social policy. I specifically want to focus on the everyday interactions between local public institutions responsible for welfare distribution at the neighbourhood level and welfare beneficiaries. What about you?

12 minutes ago, anxiousapplicat said:

My interests are broadly in political sociology, bureaucracy, welfare and social policy. I specifically want to focus on the everyday interactions between local public institutions responsible for welfare distribution at the neighbourhood level and welfare beneficiaries. What about you?

An historical-comparative analysis of political articulation between Bolivian and Chilean left after their return to democracy. How did they manage to articulate, class, ideological and cultural interests in projects that resulted dissimilar. 

Hope we get in. If not, there's always another chance next year! 

27 minutes ago, anxiousbutalive said:

An historical-comparative analysis of political articulation between Bolivian and Chilean left after their return to democracy. How did they manage to articulate, class, ideological and cultural interests in projects that resulted dissimilar. 

Hope we get in. If not, there's always another chance next year! 

Sounds fascinating! We had a chapter on Chilean politics in my high school political science class, focusing especially on Allende and Pinochet, and American "foreign policy intervention"(/literal backing the coup) in Chile. I've always been interested in understanding the region's more recent developments better. Hope we make it!

2 hours ago, polsoc2021 said:

Does anyone know what’s going on with NYU/does anyone want to take one for the team and contact their admissions? Lol I feel like I’m going crazy waiting in suspense.

polsoc2021: this was posted last week re NYU

On 2/16/2022 at 6:15 AM, Requis63 said:

Just got off the phone with NYU (GSAS). They said that the decision letters haven't been posted yet and that they would be sent out by the end of the month. There might be hope after all folks!

3 hours ago, scm11 said:

Has anyone heard back from UPenn? I saw one acceptance on the results board.

It's 2 acceptances now. I haven't heard anything yet, nor has the portal been updated. I suppose this means rejection, but they could've just update the portal for everyone right? At this point I just want to be done with the waiting.

Cycle is definitely winding down. There’s only a few schools I haven’t heard from and they’re places I don’t expect to get in at (e.g., Cornell). I received HELLA rejections, a couple acceptances, and a waitlist. I’ve been fortunate overall. If you haven’t gotten in anywhere — don’t despair too heartily. There’s still a chance you get in somewhere this cycle. I was told by schools like Washington (Seattle) that they will most likely dip back in to their applicant pool, which is why they haven’t sent out rejections, yet. Even if you don’t get in this cycle… keep going. Do what you can that’s feasible to bolster your profile for next cycle. A lot of people are second or third time applicants. Hell, I’m a second time applicant. It’s a brutal process that has a way of making you feel utterly inadequate, but it is ultimately one that I will see you on the other side of.

7 hours ago, Klutch2381 said:

Cycle is definitely winding down. There’s only a few schools I haven’t heard from and they’re places I don’t expect to get in at (e.g., Cornell). I received HELLA rejections, a couple acceptances, and a waitlist. I’ve been fortunate overall. If you haven’t gotten in anywhere — don’t despair too heartily. There’s still a chance you get in somewhere this cycle. I was told by schools like Washington (Seattle) that they will most likely dip back in to their applicant pool, which is why they haven’t sent out rejections, yet. Even if you don’t get in this cycle… keep going. Do what you can that’s feasible to bolster your profile for next cycle. A lot of people are second or third time applicants. Hell, I’m a second time applicant. It’s a brutal process that has a way of making you feel utterly inadequate, but it is ultimately one that I will see you on the other side of.

The cycle is certainly winding down! What is up with Princeton and Cornell? They both are pushing it in my opinion. 

It has been a tough cycle overall. I've heard that the number of admitted students is down still significantly from COVID. There's also apparently a growing number of applications. I encourage people to try again though. There's no shame. I am in my second cycle and utterly failed my first time- I was like 0 for 15 when I tried two years ago. So far this year I'm at 8a/1w/6r and I only applied to top 25s! My undergrad GPA is also a 2.9 cumulative due to some personal challenges I had in undergraduate. A lot of people, especially professors, have made me feel horrible about myself because of my bad undergraduate performance. I've had terrible self-confidence and depression in large part because of it. I worked for years to try and prove myself. I truly feel on top of the world finally getting into schools this year. To those of you that didn't get in this year, if you really want it, do not give up!