Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

hi! Actually asking on behalf of my boyfriend, who I may or may not share this info with depending on the anxiety it will induce - does anyone know if interview invites have gone out for Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, and JHU? I believe they're all microbio programs he applied to. He just got rejected from University of Washington microbio today.

13 hours ago, freyjagrad said:

hi! Actually asking on behalf of my boyfriend, who I may or may not share this info with depending on the anxiety it will induce - does anyone know if interview invites have gone out for Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, and JHU? I believe they're all microbio programs he applied to. He just got rejected from University of Washington microbio today.

Yes, there have been invites that have gone out for all of these schools. However, it depends on the program and/or track that he applied to. Some of them are still in the process of sending invites, some haven't yet, and some may be silent rejections. If he hasn't heard anything back - well that say no news is good news. If it gets into February and he still has yet to hear anything, its likely a silent rejection. 

2 hours ago, pathoscientist said:

Hey! The suspense has been awful. Just want to know if I'm in or not :(

How did you enjoy your interview, by the way? Are you interested in entering the overall umbrella program and seeing where it leads, or are you predominantly interested in a particular area?

2 hours ago, mintelope said:

How did you enjoy your interview, by the way? Are you interested in entering the overall umbrella program and seeing where it leads, or are you predominantly interested in a particular area?

I thought it went well! I am interested in the overall umbrella program, although I am leaning towards neuroscience or translational medicine. How about you?

2 minutes ago, pathoscientist said:

I thought it went well! I am interested in the overall umbrella program, although I am leaning towards neuroscience or translational medicine. How about you?

Same. I like that there is an umbrella program because it provides an opportunity to explore before committing. But, as of now, I am interested in translational and cancer biology -- although I find them all interesting and valuable and interconnected (so maybe the interdisciplinary) :)

Anyhow, still crickets. In my group, the applicants seemed excellent, to be perfectly fair. I don't underestimate the competition.

I just got into HARVARD! The virology program. It was my number 1 choice and i'm so excited. i would like to ask you guys opinion. I have 5 more interviews but is it better to decline the interviews and free up the waitlist? my mentor says i should see the interviews through so that i can make an informed decision. what do you think?

49 minutes ago, Cherryblue001 said:

I just got into HARVARD! The virology program. It was my number 1 choice and i'm so excited. i would like to ask you guys opinion. I have 5 more interviews but is it better to decline the interviews and free up the waitlist? my mentor says i should see the interviews through so that i can make an informed decision. what do you think?

Your mentor is absolutely correct for several reasons: For 1, having options is a good thing. Secondly, many times you don't know what you want or don't want until you see and experience it. Harvard may be your first choice but the other programs may offer something (which you may find out through the interview process) that you did not anticipate. Always good to explore the options you have before making a commitment.  Oh, and Congrats on getting into Harvard! Quite an accomplishment.

Edited by IamPokemon

I just got the call back from Yale MMPP inviting me to the recruitment weekend in February! So either I'm accepted or waitlisted haha, he did say that in recent years all that have been waitlisted have been offered acceptance so I shouldn't worry too much about it but he didn't say if I was one or the other. 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, MindyMermaid said:

Anyone know about interview invites for the following programs?

Vandy IGP, UVA BIMS, Scripps Chemical Biology

Side note: I interviewed with Tulane this past weekend and I absolutely loved them, hoping for my first offer from there! 

I received an interview invite from Scripps in Florida on 1/11, not sure if they all went out at once though!

4 minutes ago, alphacarbon said:

bit of a weird question, but was wondering everyone's interview strategies given that they're pretty much all virtual? can you have notes pulled up on the side of the zoom screen, or do they ask to share screens as to make sure there's no "cheating" going on? 

I made a Google doc on the computer, then had it pulled up on my phone. Held it right above the keyboard so it didn't look too obvious. Wrote down questions to ask as well as authors of similar research whose names I knew I'd forget

4 hours ago, Silentleaf said:

Anyone has any idea about the post interview acceptance rate of Rockefeller? Super nervous about the interview now

I heard from previous years it’s around 50%. Rockefeller seems to be a tricky one because some people thought they did really well but ended up not getting an offer.

40 minutes ago, alphacarbon said:

bit of a weird question, but was wondering everyone's interview strategies given that they're pretty much all virtual? can you have notes pulled up on the side of the zoom screen, or do they ask to share screens as to make sure there's no "cheating" going on? 

And maybe have a beer beforehand to loosen up haha jk…

On 1/18/2022 at 10:51 PM, Xiaoyan said:

Has anyone received updates/interview offers from UTSW?

my friends and I haven't heard back from them yet but saw someone post on the results page that they got an interview invitation the other day! hopefully the rest of the notifications will be sent out soon ?

Has anyone who interviewed with UVA BIMS last week heard back from them? I saw one acceptance on the results section. If someone has heard back from them, can you please mention which track did you interview with?

Just wanted to share some updates from the past few days!

- first offer (Tulane) on 1/19, 5 days post interview! 
- interview invite from Colorado State Micro on 1/20

- randomly checked Tufts GSBS portal and got a message saying they already sent interview invites out for my track (Molecular Microbiology) as well as rejections, and if you didn’t get either then your application is still in the pool and you could be contacted later. Counting this as a waitlist lol

2 hours ago, Hostmicrobe said:

Has anyone who interviewed with UVA BIMS last week heard back from them? I saw one acceptance on the results section. If someone has heard back from them, can you please mention which track did you interview with?

Hi, that was most likely me. I interviewed with the BMG cluster/track last week.

Finally received a response from Northwestern DGP for anyone wondering: "At this time we have sent out invitations for all available interview slots. The chances that new invitations will go out in the next week or two are very slim. We anticipate updating application status later in the coming weeks."

This was in response to an email I sent them a few weeks ago asking if they are still sending interview invites.

Edited by m114rh.02