Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

Ecstatic to have accepted my offer from Tulane BMS this morning!!! All facets of the program perfectly complement and support my goals (plus NOLA culture and nightlife is supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience!). After dealing with the dumpster fire that was my Fall 2021 admission cycle I'm so relieved and grateful to have made it to this point. The 3 Texas schools are still pending post-interview, but I will be declining those offers as soon as they come in to give other students a chance at their dream program. I wish you all the best! 

On 3/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, MindyMermaid said:

Ecstatic to have accepted my offer from Tulane BMS this morning!!! All facets of the program perfectly complement and support my goals (plus NOLA culture and nightlife is supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience!). After dealing with the dumpster fire that was my Fall 2021 admission cycle I'm so relieved and grateful to have made it to this point. The 3 Texas schools are still pending post-interview, but I will be declining those offers as soon as they come in to give other students a chance at their dream program. I wish you all the best! 

I am envious of how at peace you seem to be with your decision - and with having made it with other potential offers out there that have yet to come in. I wish my WashU visit wasn't so late in the month because I'd like to make a decision sooner so that others on a waiting list can get offers sooner. I wish you the best at Tulane. I did a little digging into their program early on, but I had limited time and resources to devote to the application process, so they were among a few schools I decided against applying to. I did like the program though. You should do great there! Congrats!!!

On 3/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, Hostmicrobe said:

I finally heard back from all the places I applied to/ interviewed at. I mostly applied for Microbiology programs and want to pursue host-pathogen interactions. I am having hard time deciding between the following schools and would really appreciate everyone's views. 

Cornell (Ithaca) Microbiology, Emory (MMG), UW Madison (MDTP), UVA BIMS (MIC cluster), Vanderbilt (IGP)

I thought interviews and visits would make things easier but I tend to like people and places a lot, and hence can't decide. Where would you guys choose and why?

I was once given advice "to go with your gut. Don't waste time writing pro's and cons list. Things change, people change, you change. Trust your gut and go with it. chances are, you won't make a bad choice."

Hope this helps

Just wanted to give a small update. I received an email informing me that I was accepted into the Integrated Program in Biochemistry (IPiB) at UW-Madison. I was expecting this as one of the PI's I interviewed with let it slip that those who are invited to interview "almost always" get an acceptance.

Also, a couple of days ago, I was rejected by Princeton's Molecular Biology Program (MB). So, that brings this year's cycle for me to nearly a close. I have heard back from all the institutions I have applied to.

I've been accepted into two programs at UW-Madison (MDTP and IPiB) and a program at WashU (Cancer Bio). So these are my options. These are good choices. I could have definitely been in a tougher position. It has been a roller coaster of a ride. This entire process is quite the experience in of itself. And, for good or bad, I have met some great people along the way. I'll update you all on my decision at the end of the month after my WashU visit is complete. 

21 hours ago, TangentTam said:

Anyone heard back from Vilcek NYU? Any news? I think the offers will be sent this week 

I haven't heard back yet. Do you remember when they said the first look/virtual revisit day was? I think they said March 17 and 18 but I can't remember for certain.

2 hours ago, Gollum_gollum said:

I haven't heard back yet. Do you remember when they said the first look/virtual revisit day was? I think they said March 17 and 18 but I can't remember for certain.

I guess the date is for all? But I am not sure since this info is from my interview invitation. They said the first bunch of offers will be sent this week and they are rolling admitting 

14 hours ago, TangentTam said:

I guess the date is for all? But I am not sure since this info is from my interview invitation. They said the first bunch of offers will be sent this week and they are rolling admitting 

Yes, I think the March 23rd date is for all tracks because we have the option of talking to faculty from any track, but I'm not totally sure. I'm in the mechanisms of disease track. I interviewed on February 18th and was accepted on February 24th, but they are sending them out on a rolling basis. I believe they said they would all be sent out by mid-March. Good luck to all!

11 hours ago, ScientistInTraining said:

Yes, I think the March 23rd date is for all tracks because we have the option of talking to faculty from any track, but I'm not totally sure. I'm in the mechanisms of disease track. I interviewed on February 18th and was accepted on February 24th, but they are sending them out on a rolling basis. I believe they said they would all be sent out by mid-March. Good luck to all!

Thanks for the info! My interview date is on 4th March so I guessed the offers are sent based on the tracks. But it should be sent this week? No idea....

Looking for information/ advice for making my decision - this is me thinking out loud basically!

I'm trying to decide between Baylor College of Medicine Genetics & Genomics track and UCI CMB Genetics, Epigenetics & genomics track. I visited both places recently and even though both programs are amazing, I felt like Houston is not for me; even though it might be more affordable, UCI has subsidized on-campus housing for PhD students. 

Among other things, UCI's program director met with me and gave me a campus tour, we chatted for more than an hour, met some students and faculty. It seemed like he's very approachable (also v funny) and recognized sooo many of the current students (he greeted them and checked-in on them while we were walking). I also liked the feeling of campus and having other students (even though it means there will be undergrad chaos lol). I love teaching science and mentoring to help others find their way, whether it's technical or career stuff - and it looks like I'll be able to do that more at UCI.

Baylor is a very professional setting where you are around just PhD or MD/PhD students mostly. Also, I got the sense that there are many post-doc in almost every lab, sometimes even more than grad students, which makes me feel like PIs may not have as much to directly mentor PhD students (makes sense because no undergrads, so PhD students are at the bottom in the chain I guess?). I do love the breadth of the choices I'd get at BCM and the classes seem to provide a solid foundation as well!

If anyone here knows more inside information on either of these programs, please share it! It'll help me as I make my final decision and I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!! ?

19 hours ago, hp0809 said:

I visited both places recently and even though both programs are amazing, I felt like Houston is not for me; even though it might be more affordable...

Sounds to me like you've already made your decision. You're simply trying to come to terms with it... 

19 hours ago, hp0809 said:

Looking for information/ advice for making my decision - this is me thinking out loud basically!

I'm trying to decide between Baylor College of Medicine Genetics & Genomics track and UCI CMB Genetics, Epigenetics & genomics track. I visited both places recently and even though both programs are amazing, I felt like Houston is not for me; even though it might be more affordable, UCI has subsidized on-campus housing for PhD students. 

Among other things, UCI's program director met with me and gave me a campus tour, we chatted for more than an hour, met some students and faculty. It seemed like he's very approachable (also v funny) and recognized sooo many of the current students (he greeted them and checked-in on them while we were walking). I also liked the feeling of campus and having other students (even though it means there will be undergrad chaos lol). I love teaching science and mentoring to help others find their way, whether it's technical or career stuff - and it looks like I'll be able to do that more at UCI.

Baylor is a very professional setting where you are around just PhD or MD/PhD students mostly. Also, I got the sense that there are many post-doc in almost every lab, sometimes even more than grad students, which makes me feel like PIs may not have as much to directly mentor PhD students (makes sense because no undergrads, so PhD students are at the bottom in the chain I guess?). I do love the breadth of the choices I'd get at BCM and the classes seem to provide a solid foundation as well!

If anyone here knows more inside information on either of these programs, please share it! It'll help me as I make my final decision and I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!! ?

I am also choosing between BCM Genetics & Genomics and a couple others. I got an admit to UC Irvine as well but will most likely be turning it down as I didn’t enjoy the interviews, but it seems like you had a good time! When did you visit BCM? I feel like it would be great in regards to it being located in the TMC and personally my interviews went really well, but I am mostly stuck between BCM and NC State Genetics & Genomics. I feel like both would be good options but am also looking for any insight into these programs! Does anyone know the culture of either in terms of how cut throats the programs are?

I also enjoyed my interviews at BCM and UCI; BCM were definitely more fun because they had more informal sessions but UCI recruitment event was after interviews, so I they weren't bad either

Before my visit, I was inclined more towards BCM but TCM is really just a bunch of buildings with labs. At least when I visited BCM I didn't get a cohort-like feeling because the labs were split into all the TMC buildings. 
I visited BCM on Feb 28th; I wanted to see the city and surrounding area in person and have a cousin who lives close to BCM. I tried to co-ordinate with Judi but didn't get as much support (she said there was a third round of interviews she was preparing for and some grant deadline stuff) but my interview 'buddy' volunteered, so I got a small peek. The place and city felt a bit isolating when I visited but it's just my reaction on the particular day!

UCI on the other hand was very warm even though I gave them a much shorter notice compared to UCI. I did enjoy my interviews at UCI even though I was kinda nervous (it was my first in the cycle). 
Like I said UCI feels like a place I'll be more happy, it's a gut feeling tbh among other reasons I mentioned above. I do have a couple of friends closer to Irvine so I may be biased in that sense, plus Houston/ IAH crowd didn't feel as diverse (I live in the Boston area, so that's my comparison rn) while Irvine felt better (safer because of the University setting too)
For almost every positive aspect that drew me to BCM, there is a similar or comparable one at UCI. 
I planned to see both places to help my decision, so this trip was self-organized and I just emailed them about a week in advance. 
EDIT: oh, also while waiting at one of the campus Starbucks in UCI, I saw some faculty hanging out with student(s); it felt very casual and nice to see! 

Edited by hp0809

Wanted to submit my results since I haven't visited grad cafe much this year.

2021 Cycle: Unsuccessful, Rejected from UTMB, BU, Columbia, and UCSF.

Only interviewed at UTMB.

2022 Cycle:

Rejected w/out interview: BU, NIH Georgetown GPP, NIH Hopkins GPP.

Interviewed and Accepted: University of Pennsylvania Immunology Graduate Group.

Probable Rejection, no interview or comms: UTMB

You only need one interview to have a shot to get in!

Edited by __Wreckingball__
typo

On 2/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, ACgenetics said:

I also interviewed 2/4 and have not heard either! My interview went okay but not the best so I have also been wondering if they already sent out all the acceptances! 

Hey I'm wondering if you have heard anything from UPGG since Feb 17? I was told that I was waitlisted in late February but no news since then.

11 minutes ago, milkyoolong said:

Hey I'm wondering if you have heard anything from UPGG since Feb 17? I was told that I was waitlisted in late February but no news since then.

Hi, yes. I got rejected (never waitlisted) lmao. so I assume no news is good news for you. I know some else on here was also rejected after interview. Not sure how many are on the wait list. good luck!