2022 Applicants

The anxiety is def getting to me. I had the interview with UT austin, they said 3 weeks for decisions. Felt way more nervous than I expected to. Fell in love with the school even more but 1/3 profs really grilled me about why I’m moving to English rhetoric program versus my comm which is my Ma. The interview lasted 40 minutes. Is that normal? Anyone else interview there?

seeing usf and UofO results coming up is making me nervous. So hoping for one acceptance at least! 

good luck everyone!!

18 minutes ago, zzzmegzzz said:

The anxiety is def getting to me. I had the interview with UT austin, they said 3 weeks for decisions. Felt way more nervous than I expected to. Fell in love with the school even more but 1/3 profs really grilled me about why I’m moving to English rhetoric program versus my comm which is my Ma. The interview lasted 40 minutes. Is that normal? Anyone else interview there?

seeing usf and UofO results coming up is making me nervous. So hoping for one acceptance at least! 

good luck everyone!!

Usually longer interviews mean people are interested... but what would i know haha! I can't believe i dreamt of rejections the whole night good lord! It felt so real.... I honestly thoughout i would see at least 4 rejections after waking up.

1 hour ago, zzzmegzzz said:

good luck everyone!!

Congrats!! Austin is amazing, hope the tough interview pays off :) It sounds like they do really want you!

Got rejected from UChicago today ? To be expected I think, my research wasn't the best fit for what they were looking for this year. Congrats to all who got in!

17 hours ago, Cordelipup said:

Has anyone heard from UCI? In the past several years they have sent interview requests around this time.

Nope. Applied there; feel like I'm a really good fit, too. But haven't heard anything.

Hi all!

I have an MFA in Creative Writing and I decided this year that I wanted to pursue a PhD--partially for teaching reasons, partially because of personal/academic interest. I wanted to keep my options open (because of how competitive funding can be!) so I applied to a few programs in Creative Writing (or, programs with creative dissertations), a few programs in Literature, and a few programs in Rhetoric and Composition. My academic interests are diverse and interdisciplinary, but the creative programs were definitely my top choice.

I just got my first offer (yay!) for a Lit PhD program from good school that I'm excited about in a location I like. So, good news! But now I'm starting to consider whether or not pursuing a Lit/Rhetoric PhD is going to hinder my progress with my creative work. I am working on multiple manuscripts right now and my creative work is my top priority--that said, I've been out of my MFA for a few years now and it's been difficult to make progress outside of an academic environment. 

I really do feel ready to pursue a PhD, and now I have at least one really good option, but for those of you who are both creative writers and interested in critical English PhD programs: do you feel that pursuing a PhD in English takes away from your time you can devote to your creative work? As I wait for more responses, I want to try to figure out what to prioritize, whether that be location, prestige, or the difference between a creative/critical dissertation. Any opinions in this respect are appreciated!

It will definitely take away from your creative work. In my experience, that work will be relegated to the breaks (summer, winter, etc). So if your creative work is your top priority, I’d prioritize programs that allow you to work on it. Have you heard from any of the programs with creative dissertations? 

19 hours ago, Submarina said:

Congrats!! Austin is amazing, hope the tough interview pays off :) It sounds like they do really want you!

Got rejected from UChicago today ? To be expected I think, my research wasn't the best fit for what they were looking for this year. Congrats to all who got in!

Hopefully you get an acceptance soon still waiting tonight trying not to refresh gmail constantly 

@cactusflower  Many cw phd programs have heavy teaching loads (2/2 seems to be fairly common) and, on average, lower stipends than the top lit phd programs. I think if you get an offer from a lit or rhetoric program with a minimal teaching load and a more liveable stipend it would be better for your writing than, say, a cw program where you’ll be teaching two sections of comp most semesters and possibly having to work another job to make ends meet. It depends on your individual circumstances and which programs you’re considering, of course. If finances aren’t an issue, then this might not be an issue anyway. But I also think having an MFA combined with a PhD in another area might be more competitive when it comes to the job market if you want to be a professor.

Monday again! All the best everyone! I am feeling unusually nervous and superstitious today--my dreams about rejections are getting to me. Do people tend to be more superstitious when they have a lot to fear? Like reading bad signs in every little thing happening around you?

For those who already have acceptances--oh, to know that you are going to grad school! Hope you have more acceptances soon but an early acceptance is the luckiest thing that can happen to you in this process. If I were to be shutout a second time, even if m recommenders agree to write me letters or I feel like I can improve myself, I won't tread along these lines again--the sheer anxiety of this wait is too much to take on a third time. Most places I have applied to haven't released any decision as yet but I am still dreading a possible shutout. So hard to be optimistic because optimism seems delusional at times, given there are so many people with wonderful stats and writing samples. 

Cheerio!

12 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Monday again! All the best everyone! I am feeling unusually nervous and superstitious today--my dreams about rejections are getting to me. Do people tend to be more superstitious when they have a lot to fear? Like reading bad signs in every little thing happening around you?

For those who already have acceptances--oh, to know that you are going to grad school! Hope you have more acceptances soon but an early acceptance is the luckiest thing that can happen to you in this process. If I were to be shutout a second time, even if m recommenders agree to write me letters or I feel like I can improve myself, I won't tread along these lines again--the sheer anxiety of this wait is too much to take on a third time. Most places I have applied to haven't released any decision as yet but I am still dreading a possible shutout. So hard to be optimistic because optimism seems delusional at times, given there are so many people with wonderful stats and writing samples. 

Cheerio!

You articulated my feelings this week exactly. Hang in there!

Anyone else get an email about a graduate open house from Northeastern? (I’m the one who posted it to the forum). The email says that the event will have students, alumni, faculty, and admissions representative. It also said that the event would “show you what it’s like to be a Northeastern student.” I figured this was a generic notification since the date was late April, and I also didn’t get an interview invite. Did others get this?

1 hour ago, MissAmanda said:

Has anyone reached out to the Notre Dame program for an estimated time frame to hear decisions? Just curious, and too nervous to do it myself...

I haven’t reached out, but I believe that people posted interview invites a few weeks ago. I’ve stopped checking their portal when I didn’t receive the interview.

Just now, Shake829 said:

I haven’t reached out, but I believe that people posted interview invites a few weeks ago. I’ve stopped checking their portal when I didn’t receive the interview.

According to someone on Reddit, those were a one-off case from a faculty member wanting specific candidates, but didn't reflect the program as a whole being done with decisions. I do find it wild that there hasn't been any other news, though. 

I'm seeing one waitlisted human for Yale... DYING to know when they're going to accept / reject / waitlist the rest of us! 

Also, anyone else hear anything from UC Berkeley or Notre Dame? 

English PhD Fall 2022 Apps: UC Berkeley (my alma mater), Stanford, U Penn, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Columbia, Yale, Harvard

(A/R/W/P)

Research Interests: 19th century British lit & the psycho-ecology of narrative and novel space 

14 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Anyone else get an email about a graduate open house from Northeastern? (I’m the one who posted it to the forum). The email says that the event will have students, alumni, faculty, and admissions representative. It also said that the event would “show you what it’s like to be a Northeastern student.” I figured this was a generic notification since the date was late April, and I also didn’t get an interview invite. Did others get this?

Not yet ?

2 minutes ago, MissAmanda said:

According to someone on Reddit, those were a one-off case from a faculty member wanting specific candidates, but didn't reflect the program as a whole being done with decisions. I do find it wild that there hasn't been any other news, though. 

Ah. I didn’t know that. I assumed that because those who received the notification were labeled as finalists, cuts would be made from that group to determine admission. If your source is correct, I assume that would mean final decisions would be made after the open house so that the faculty member could make his/her/their decision. 

1 minute ago, Shake829 said:

Ah. I didn’t know that. I assumed that because those who received the notification were labeled as finalists, cuts would be made from that group to determine admission. If your source is correct, I assume that would mean final decisions would be made after the open house so that the faculty member could make his/her/their decision. 

I mean, we will see how good the info is. Here's the Reddit post in question.

But I'll take any kernel of hope at the moment!

On 2/5/2022 at 11:32 PM, Dovey said:

@cactusflower  Many cw phd programs have heavy teaching loads (2/2 seems to be fairly common) and, on average, lower stipends than the top lit phd programs. I think if you get an offer from a lit or rhetoric program with a minimal teaching load and a more liveable stipend it would be better for your writing than, say, a cw program where you’ll be teaching two sections of comp most semesters and possibly having to work another job to make ends meet. It depends on your individual circumstances and which programs you’re considering, of course. If finances aren’t an issue, then this might not be an issue anyway. But I also think having an MFA combined with a PhD in another area might be more competitive when it comes to the job market if you want to be a professor.

Thank you for this perspective, it's very helpful! I was thinking along the same lines in terms of the job market.