2022 Applicants

Hey, I have a question for other Stanford applicants: what does the application page say about your application status? 
I noticed today that my application status is still “incomplete.” Until last week, I thought it only said this because they were still processing applications. Plus, they said, “ If items are missing from your application, we will reach out to you directly.” But it’s now mid-January and my status is still the same, and I’m starting to get worried. But I didn’t want to freak out and reach out to them just yet because it might be the same for everyone else right now.

It would be great if some of you guys could check you application status and let us know what yours says. Or if you have any info regarding the Stanford application status update process and stuff, please share! :) Thaaanks.

Hi there! I'm waiting back to hear from schools for a PhD in Comparative Literature and wondering if anyone has any tips on how to approach an interview with a potential school. Are there any questions that are typically asked? Any ones that fly out of left field? Also....what questions did you ask the committee? Thank you!

?

On 1/4/2022 at 1:23 AM, sarahpc2020 said:

Hello, y'all! I'm not planning to apply in this cycle, but I'm trying to prepare for my future applications. Is anyone else here applying to Comparative Literature PhDs? If so, I'd love to hear about your backgrounds, especially when it comes to languages! That's my primary concern.

My top choice -- and biggest reach -- program is Harvard. I'm primarily interested in World Literature and folk tales, which Harvard has a strong background in. It's also the only university that offers instruction/courses in both the minor languages I'm hoping to focus my work on. What have people heard about the kind of applications they're looking for?

Thanks! And best of luck to everybody this year! :)

If I am lucky enough to be offered a place this round, I'll share with you what I know ?

12 hours ago, nolahayes said:

Hi there! I'm waiting back to hear from schools for a PhD in Comparative Literature and wondering if anyone has any tips on how to approach an interview with a potential school. Are there any questions that are typically asked? Any ones that fly out of left field? Also....what questions did you ask the committee? Thank you!

?

I had two interviews last year, and was accepted to both universities after my interviews.  I had prepared some very basic interview answers (to imagined questions like "why our university?" and "what do you bring to the table?"), but was surprised by the specificity of the actual questions I was asked.  My interviewers wanted to know about very particular choices I had made in my writing sample, they wanted me to defend which texts I had selected, and they offered me a new direction and asked how I would, if I chose to, incorporate it.  The questions were chapter level, but they still quoted specific lines from my writing sample.  They asked about my understanding of the critical background and the varying approaches I could have taken.  It was, in short, a very personal interview.  I asked my basic "what's the culture like?" questions at the end, but I wish I had taken the time to read some of the interviewer's texts more fully so I had specific questions for them.  It's clearly not required, but I remember feeling very worried after the interview.

In my second interview things were looser, I had received a better offer from the first interview institution already and was merely investigating this other school to make sure, so I was more relaxed and I remember cracking a bunch of jokes and all of us laughing.  It was still a REALLY important interview, because I was able to ask more general PhD student questions (like, "what's something you wish you had known before your first year of the PhD?") and the answers I received have stayed with me.  But, the tone was very different because I was much more confident.  So, I'd say reread your writing sample, consider school-specific questions, and be prepared to be unprepared.  I had taken notes on the answers to questions I thought I'd be asked, and while I wasn't asked anything from that list, the list really did help me ad lib when the time came.  Being relaxed would probably help, but there's no magic way to achieve that, so don't be worried if you're a nervous wreck - I was for my first interview, but knowing my own writing clearly helped us all move past that.

10 hours ago, 1 Pint of Ricotta said:

but was surprised by the specificity of the actual questions I was asked. 

Though not comp lit, this was my experience as well. "Tell me, why this book by Rancière?" "Uhhhhhhhhhhh....seemed like a good fit?" I still have nightmares.

I was unprepared and bombed the interview. Still got in somehow. I think being personable (and solid materials, even if you can't defend them in the moment) goes a long way. 

Edited by snorkles

42 minutes ago, thecat00 said:

Anyone else excited to start hearing back from programs? I've done calculations, and think most of the ones to which I'm applying will get back to me sometime in February. I'm excited and a bit timid at the same time, with no idea about how this will go.

Yes!! Nervous and excited as well. I'm anxious to get even one decision lately, no matter if it's an acceptance or rejection!

2 hours ago, thecat00 said:

Anyone else excited to start hearing back from programs? I've done calculations, and think most of the ones to which I'm applying will get back to me sometime in February. I'm excited and a bit timid at the same time, with no idea about how this will go.

YES same. It feels like the terrifying quiet before the storm...

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well! I received a phone call at 4pm from the University of Michigan and was accepted into the Joint PhD program in English and Education! Again, not sure if anyone applied to this program as well, but if so, you may be hearing back sooner than anticipated!

2 hours ago, thecat00 said:

I'm older1 and looking to change careers, and knew this was a long shot, just because of my relative weaknesses2 as an applicant, even before I really understood how selective the programs were. So yes I'm excited (because there's always a chance!) but trying to think of it like I've applied for fellowships -- it would be incredible to win but I'm not really losing anything because it wasn't mine to lose.  Plus I know I'd be in better shape next time if I don't get in anywhere and decide to go through this again.  So that's what my brain's telling me.  The rest of me is looking at the spreadsheet I built based on reporting times averaged over the last five years and ranking programs by expected response. 

Presumably older, I don't know. Maybe the rest of you guys are all ancient too.
Like how I overuse footnotes

3 hours ago, thecat00 said:

I took some classes last summer and fall to prepare for this application cycle. That on top of working, I was busy busy busy nonstop from like May to December. Now the classes are over, the applications are submitted, and I got laid off ? I went from no free time to nothing but free time. It feels so weird to be doing literally nothing. I NEED those decisions! *looks at UIUC*

21 minutes ago, postmodern said:

I'm 33 ?

1 hour ago, postmodern said:

I'm older1 and looking to change careers, and knew this was a long shot, just because of my relative weaknesses2 as an applicant, even before I really understood how selective the programs were. So yes I'm excited (because there's always a chance!) but trying to think of it like I've applied for fellowships -- it would be incredible to win but I'm not really losing anything because it wasn't mine to lose.  Plus I know I'd be in better shape next time if I don't get in anywhere and decide to go through this again.  So that's what my brain's telling me.  The rest of me is looking at the spreadsheet I built based on reporting times averaged over the last five years and ranking programs by expected response. 

I feel like age is all over the place when it comes to doctoral programs. I'm 27 (oh god, 28 in a few weeks. Hello to the ominous approach of 30) and that feels old to me to be starting a PhD program, but I also know that this might just be my irrational psycho brain being, well...irrational. Because it's completely normal to start a PhD at any age, quite frankly. If anything, I feel like it would probably help my case more if I spent a couple years getting some kind of teaching experience before I applied, because my current work experience isn't all that relevant. But I guess we'll see how things turn out this round. 

Mind you, I got my MA in the UK a few years ago, and even then I was one of the oldest Master's students around because of how the UK educational system is structured, so maybe that mentality has stuck with me, and that's why I feel old going into this. 

12 hours ago, postmodern said:

I'm 37 and on the same boat, i.e., changing career/area. 

12 hours ago, sadevilminion said:

I'm 33 ?

My son turns 33 in April. ?

(Though I don't see my age as a weakness necessarily -- maybe for some programs, I guess -- but just the fact that I'm coming from another field completely and don't have the research or academic background to make up for it.)

Anyway I'm excited anyway. I like applying for things.

I'm 30 and only just finishing up my BA!

It's hard to not feel old(er), especially coming out of undergrad "late," but I do feel like age is beneficial in regards to knowing more about oneself and allowing for a healthier mix of humility and confidence. I hope application committees see it that way as well! 

I saw someone got in to UMass Amherst and I've been trying to check my status, but I just activated my SPIRE account and it won't recognize me when I try to login. I know it said it could take a few minutes but it's been like 20 minutes. Did anyone else have this issue? ?

Edit: Never mind, IT helped. Unfortunately still no news ?

Edited by zetasp