2022 Applicants

27 minutes ago, Submarina said:

Congrats, that is awesome! I was accepted too, didn't apply to rhetoric but that's what got me interested in the English program. I am seriously considering it if they can match my funding packages from other schools (well, we'll see).

Rejection from Yale. Man, all the rejections submitted seemed brutal. I don't feel terrible about mine because it wasn't a super great fit and I have other acceptances, but did yall see those rejections handed to people who had alumni write recommendations with perfect GPAs and fit? And also the person with the undergrad and masters ivies? Sheesh. Who on earth even got in?

I really think it's much more than good grades and good schools - just think about it: every applicant's got good grades. It has to be some other areas that distinguish the suitable ones for pursuing advanced studies from those who don't. I still think that it's about how impactful the work you do, or how impactful you are. But of course right now this is just a hypothesis of mine. If I get in then I'll know if this is true. ?

Edited by WomanOfLetters

2 minutes ago, WomanOfLetters said:

I really think it's much more than good grades and good schools - just think about it: every applicant's got good grades. It has to be some other areas that distinguish the suitable ones for pursuing advanced studies from those who don't. I still think that it's about how impactful the work you do, or how impactful you are. But of course right now this is just a hypothesis of mine. If I get in then I'll know if this is true. ?

I would like to echo this sentiment as well! From some of the programs I've talked to, they didn't really mention my grades/stats. They were more interested in how my research reflected a great fit for their program; they felt confident that they had the resources (several faculty members, interdisciplinary opportunities) to support my studies.

I know we talk about "fit" a lot, but I think it's important to remember that most departments may not take more than one or two students per field of interest (though, wouldn't it be neat to be in a cohort with 4+ folks establishing expertise & supporting each other in one field??). So, I think rejections are less indicative of your PhD potential, and more indicative of the department's bureaucracy. Also, one of the schools that accepted me said that they read all three of my applications (applied three years in a row, yeesh), and the mere fact of witnessing my growth was indicative of my potential to succeed in doctoral study. So, don't give up hope! A rejection doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of the road.

42 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

I’m sorry to hear about your Yale rejection. I didn’t apply, but I know that they receive probably the most applications in any cycle. Just luck of the draw, so to speak. What is your area of interest? I know that we’re both waitlisted at CUNY, and I wonder if we’re both on the same list speciality wise, ha. 

I'm giving up my spot on the Cuny waitlist! But postcolonial/narrative theory :)

33 minutes ago, WomanOfLetters said:

Yeah, I think that's true for sure. I guess I'm just looking for a justification as to why I didn't get in ? But yeah, it's clearly very competitive this year.

I have a professor from my undergrad who currently teaches at Yale, and she was on the admissions committee this year. She told me that they had even more applications than last year, but she mentioned that they ended up taking about 4% of applicants. It honestly feels high given how few they took last year. It's just outlandishly competitive... I don't know the first thing about being 'impactful' or having research that 'fits' - I thought I did, but so far it's been silence... 

10 minutes ago, Submarina said:

I'm giving up my spot on the Cuny waitlist! But postcolonial/narrative theory :)

Yeah, I think that's true for sure. I guess I'm just looking for a justification as to why I didn't get in ? But yeah, it's clearly very competitive this year.

Ah, I’m early modern, so different fields! 

I reached out yesterday evening (like an hour after the notification) to rsvp for the event mentioned in the letter. I haven’t received a reply and I’m not sure if that’s standard when you’re just RSVPing ?

4 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Out of reacts! I am bracing myself for a shutout. CUNY's ways seem mighty strange this cycle. Someone has even left a Hindi comment for a 'fresh' waitlist. Not surprising--anyone can lose their mind over grad school admissions.

I saw the comment on results board but couldn’t understand what it meant. What do you mean by “fresh” waitlist? 

4 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

I saw the comment on results board but couldn’t understand what it meant. What do you mean by “fresh” waitlist? 

What it means: "Dad, stop fishing for gradcafe updates " but I don't know what the 'dad' in this context means because why would you go online to express with annoyance with your father's actions? But who knows! 

'Fresh' because  I thought all CUNY waitlists had gone out yesterday and it's time for the rejections to let it rip! Lol. Never mind these silly comments--just my anxieties acting up.

7 minutes ago, zetasp said:

So anyway I've been manifesting a Cornell acceptance up the wazoo - any word on if all the Cornell acceptances have gone out? Should I give up hopes? Honestly started off this season with a great admit and a couple of bearable rejections, so I was feeling confident, but the confidence wanes daily ?

I'm also wondering the same. I'm thinking that maybe they sent out all of their acceptances already given the results on gradcafe?

3 hours ago, portaldisplay65 said:

I'm also wondering the same. I'm thinking that maybe they sent out all of their acceptances already given the results on gradcafe?

I'm actively manifesting a Cornell acceptance too - not the English program though! Good luck to all of us! ???

4 hours ago, zetasp said:

So anyway I've been manifesting a Cornell acceptance up the wazoo - any word on if all the Cornell acceptances have gone out? Should I give up hopes? Honestly started off this season with a great admit and a couple of bearable rejections, so I was feeling confident, but the confidence wanes daily ?

Yeah, I think they have based on the graduate coordinator telling me that the cohort has been decided. Sorry about that :(

Stanford, my top choice school and the place where my friends and college ex are doing English PhDs, rejected me. Honestly, maybe it's for the best because that ex sucked. But I was really hoping to go there especially because my recommenders are alumni and a lot of people from my undergraduate program get in, usually at least one per year! Oh well, guess it really is a very competitive year.

10 hours ago, WomanOfLetters said:

Hmm. Whatever concoction grad school acceptances need has no formula--very contingent! 

I just wish some departments were kind enough to specify which concentrations they were looking for, like UofChicago did. If I am not wrong, they said they were specifically looking for people working in the field of African-American literature...

By following their suit many other places could have gone gentle on some of our pockets haha. Being a shutout and being penniless at the same time isn't a very ideal situation to think of (let alone to be in!) ?

36 minutes ago, sadgirl said:

Hey guys does anyone know anything about UCLA English? They are my dream school and I'm getting really nervous. 

I'm wondering the same thing! They are my top choice this cycle...On the result board there's one single acceptance posted on Feb 5; apart from that I've heard nothing

25 minutes ago, heterotopia said:

I'm wondering the same thing! They are my top choice this cycle...On the result board there's one single acceptance posted on Feb 5; apart from that I've heard nothing

I've checked the past cycle and quite a few people posted their acceptances mid-February. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

Does anyone here have tips for interviewing for English programs? I have my first interview coming up and I want to prepare appropriately. I know I should be able to talk about my interests and my background. For those of you who have done these interviews: what types of questions did they ask, and is there anything you wish you'd done to prepare?

23 minutes ago, cactusflower said:

Does anyone here have tips for interviewing for English programs? I have my first interview coming up and I want to prepare appropriately. I know I should be able to talk about my interests and my background. For those of you who have done these interviews: what types of questions did they ask, and is there anything you wish you'd done to prepare?

Mine was pretty informal so it depends on the program, but the questions I was asked were: why this program in particular; the standard "tell me about your research interests" and then a couple of specific follow-up questions; what is a text you've read recently that really stuck out to you; and have you had any offers from other programs. The thing that helped me the most was reviewing my SoP and writing sample, having a few questions for the interviewer prepped ahead of time, and having some notes in front of me re: elevator pitch and program specifics that I'm excited about. I have no idea if I'll be accepted, but the interviewer (DGS) was enthusiastic about my research focus and said she thought the program was a good fit.

I also found this post from last year's forum really helpful: 

Edited by forgottenworks