2022 Applicants

29 minutes ago, katerinas said:

Update on my own post... it was indeed a rejection. Sigh. That was my last hope for a PhD this cycle, so I guess I'm down to considering my masters acceptances now. What does everyone think? Is taking out loans for a masters worth it, or should I just take the year off and apply for PhDs again in the fall? I'd be looking at like ~$30k to accept one of the masters places I was offered.

I'm really sorry about your rejections, being shut out is really rough. I would strongly advise against going into debt for any graduate program, especially when it's not a prerequisite for entry for your next stage. While many PhD admits have MAs, there are also many that don't (not sure what the actual breakdown is). Having an MA would not necessarily make you more competitive, but it does put a burden on you to make a decent living once you're hopefully out of the PhD and while the market might change dramatically by then, right now that is not a guarantee, as many of the jobs currently offered (which do not cover the labor pool) are equivalent to graduate stipends, which are generally around minimum wage.

Your best bet is to take a beat to reassess and try to think what, out of the things you have control over, might have hindered your chances and then attempt to address that in the next round (and you might want to look into things like the Institute for the Recruitment of Teachers for support in the next cycle). What MAs are good for, assuming you make good use of them, is a. demonstrating an ability to do graduate-level work, b. developing a more sophisticated understanding of the field, c. giving you opportunities to develop and execute on ideas, and d. offer you an extended pool of faculty and colleagues who can support you (I'm sure there are other things, but I think these are the main ones). None of these things are necessary, and some of them are things you can do on your own. While having a wider network of support is hard to replicate outside of an institution, if you're able to, you can spend this time reading and developing your ideas, and the WS you submit would override any graduate experience anyway. The best thing you can do is polish your SoP and WS over the coming year.

If you were considering funded MAs my answer would be different, but given the prerequisites for grad admissions and the realities of job market on the other side, we are currently debating whether graduate programs themselves are worth it, so unfunded ones are definitely not.

Hey all! I am here, once again, asking for your emotional and intellectual support ?

I've recently noticed that pretty much every program I've been accepted to has been handing out unequal funding packages. As far as I know, everyone is getting some sort of base stipend, but there are definitely individuals getting extra  fellowships, summer funding, etc. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this? Should I be worried about the programs where I'm on the lower end of funding (even if the funding itself is liveable)? I'm a little worried about being valued less than my peers before I even enter a program, but I'm not sure if that's reason or anxiety talking. 

**Also, I second the above post by WildeThing. Don't let those unfunded MA punks exploit you; you're worth more than that 

Edited by OperaGhost

24 minutes ago, OperaGhost said:

Hey all! I am here, once again, asking for your emotional and intellectual support ?

I've recently noticed that pretty much every program I've been accepted to has been handing out unequal funding packages. As far as I know, everyone is getting some sort of base stipend, but there are definitely individuals getting extra  fellowships, summer funding, etc. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this? Should I be worried about the programs where I'm on the lower end of funding (even if the funding itself is liveable)? I'm a little worried about being valued less than my peers before I even enter a program, but I'm not sure if that's reason or anxiety talking. 

**Also, I second the above post by WildeThing. Don't let those unfunded MA punks exploit you; you're worth more than that 

Upvoting this. I am not sure about unequal packages taking into account fellowships and all that. But funding is becoming a central concern for me as well: do i select a uni that pays me more or one that is more highly-ranked (like significantly higher, though not in the same research area)? I know this question has been asked to death but am still stuck... would be glad to hear some informed opinions. Also, all my potential PoIs are quite well-known in their respective fields and I have three offers... many thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Upvoting this. I am not sure about unequal packages taking into account fellowships and all that. But funding is becoming a central concern for me as well: do i select a uni that pays me more or one that is more highly-ranked (like significantly higher, though not in the same research area)? I know this question has been asked to death but am still stuck... would be glad to hear some informed opinions. Also, all my potential PoIs are quite well-known in their respective fields and I have three offers... many thanks in advance!

So I can't offer any concrete answer, but I can give you my own thought process on this. If you're very interested in pursuing an academic job, I would think that, so long as the stipend is livable, you might want to pick the university with the significantly higher rank. This way you'll be able to build more connections, prestige, etc, for your resume. 

However, if this offer is outside of the research area you're passionate about (you mention a different research area), you might want to go for one of the schools that's more aligned with your interests. You are, after all, going to be spending at least 5 years on this degree. You want it to be in a research area you actually enjoy. 

Lastly, if you're on a bit of a nihilist (or hedonist?) bent like I am, you might want to put enjoyability above all else. Not to beat a dead horse, but we all know the academic job market isn't looking great. If you're getting a PhD purely for the pleasure of learning and not for a job, why not pick a low ranked program with wonderful vibes over a high ranked program that feels icky?

Sorry for this kind of messy response? I'm currently in the same boat as you picking between 3 schools, so my brain is in shambles lmao. Best of luck with your decision!

Edited by OperaGhost

1 hour ago, OperaGhost said:

So I can't offer any concrete answer, but I can give you my own thought process on this. If you're very interested in pursuing an academic job, I would think that, so long as the stipend is livable, you might want to pick the university with the significantly higher rank. This way you'll be able to build more connections, prestige, etc, for your resume. 

However, if this offer is outside of the research area you're passionate about (you mention a different research area), you might want to go for one of the schools that's more aligned with your interests. You are, after all, going to be spending at least 5 years on this degree. You want it to be in a research area you actually enjoy. 

Lastly, if you're on a bit of a nihilist (or hedonist?) bent like I am, you might want to put enjoyability above all else. Not to beat a dead horse, but we all know the academic job market isn't looking great. If you're getting a PhD purely for the pleasure of learning and not for a job, why not pick a low ranked program with wonderful vibes over a high ranked program that feels icky?

Sorry for this kind of messy response? I'm currently in the same boat as you picking between 3 schools, so my brain is in shambles lmao. Best of luck with your decision!

I am indeed on the hedonist side haha! Thanks a lot for your opinion :) and best of luck with your decision too! 

12 hours ago, OperaGhost said:

I’m going through something similar, but for the opposite reason. I’ve been offered one of those competitive uneven funding packages. While I’m still waiting to hear about the waitlist at my top choice, I’ll (very) likely take this offer if it doesn’t work out. But I’m nervous. My extra fellowship is a competitive one that is given out each year. If I lose it to a peer, will the program look down on me? Are they expecting me to immediately come in and out perform my peers? If my peers find out about my package, will they try to compete with me? The anxiety goes both ways, believe it or not!

I think my biggest worry is entering an environment that is toxic. If we’re all competing for that extra funding, will we ever be truly happy when someone in the cohort succeeds, or will we feel the need to out perform them, so to speak? A cohort should be a supportive group, and I don’t want to constantly compare myself to them. However, I’ve come to determine that this is likely my anxiety talking. 

You are valued, friend. You were taken over so many other people. Your POI probably signed off on your acceptance, and someone whom you admire wants to work with YOU! Take the offer that you feel is best for you. At the end of the day, they valued you enough to send you an acceptance offer. 

We also don’t know how these fellowships are really rewarded. Are they random? I was rejected from nine programs, waitlisted at one, but then accepted to this other one WITH a competitive package? Seems arbitrary to me! There’s also university-wide fellowships where the program nominates you but the school decides. If your peers have this type of fellowship, it definitely says nothing about how you’re valued. 

Keep afloat, friend; you’re going to graduate school—congratulations!

12 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Hello again, friend! Three offers! Wow! Remember when I said you would be on this forum posting multiple acceptances? I’m glad that came into existence!

I’ll offer my two cents, but I’m no expert. Some people will tell you that rankings are arbitrary, and while that is true to an extent, at the end of the day, there are certain programs that are more valued than others. This is a sad reality for all PhDs. I had one professor tell me that if the program wasn’t top 20, it wasn’t my worth my time. I had another professor say to worry more about the program’s post-graduate placement results. She said don’t dip too low in ranking, but don’t be afraid to give number 40, for example, a chance if they’re finding their graduates a job. 

It seems that your issue is that the school offering you more money is ranked much lower than your top acceptance. Here’s my advice: Consider how big that gap is, and see if the gap is countered by the placement results (and also the quality of the placement results). For example, let’s just hypothetically say your acceptances are ranked 50 and 35. 35 is certainly more enticing—15 spots! However, let’s also say that number 35 reports 10 tenure-track jobs secured for graduates in the last few years. Number 50 reports 20 in that same time frame (I know TT jobs are not at all common for this to happen, but just hypothetically), it wouldn’t be completely crazy to go with number 50, as they’re lower ranked, but they’re still providing better training for faculty positions. You know? Do the programs to which you were accepted have an “alumni success stories” page or something similar? Assuming that you want to work in academia, count the number of tenure-track jobs reported by alumni. This will allow you to compare ranking AND job prospects. That will help you make the choice that is best for your future. But also be sure that you’re picking a program at which you’ll be happy! 

5 hours ago, Shake829 said:

Hello again, friend! Three offers! Wow! Remember when I said you would be on this forum posting multiple acceptances? I’m glad that came into existence!

I’ll offer my two cents, but I’m no expert. Some people will tell you that rankings are arbitrary, and while that is true to an extent, at the end of the day, there are certain programs that are more valued than others. This is a sad reality for all PhDs. I had one professor tell me that if the program wasn’t top 20, it wasn’t my worth my time. I had another professor say to worry more about the program’s post-graduate placement results. She said don’t dip too low in ranking, but don’t be afraid to give number 40, for example, a chance if they’re finding their graduates a job. 

It seems that your issue is that the school offering you more money is ranked much lower than your top acceptance. Here’s my advice: Consider how big that gap is, and see if the gap is countered by the placement results (and also the quality of the placement results). For example, let’s just hypothetically say your acceptances are ranked 50 and 35. 35 is certainly more enticing—15 spots! However, let’s also say that number 35 reports 10 tenure-track jobs secured for graduates in the last few years. Number 50 reports 20 in that same time frame (I know TT jobs are not at all common for this to happen, but just hypothetically), it wouldn’t be completely crazy to go with number 50, as they’re lower ranked, but they’re still providing better training for faculty positions. You know? Do the programs to which you were accepted have an “alumni success stories” page or something similar? Assuming that you want to work in academia, count the number of tenure-track jobs reported by alumni. This will allow you to compare ranking AND job prospects. That will help you make the choice that is best for your future. But also be sure that you’re picking a program at which you’ll be happy! 

Heyya! Thanks thanks! How are things looking with CUNY? It would be great if you can go!

It helps to listen to others given things are very different in my country (the job situation isn't good anywhere though)!

Haha if I were to aim for the top 20s I couldn't have applied at all because my fields super-specific and few people work on them and the top 20s mostly don't bother about them lol! In terms of my area, all three are well-known though I am not sure about the job prospects. But I will try to get an idea of what these schools do after their grad students have graduated... huh!

But thanks for your opinion and advice :)

8 hours ago, Shake829 said:

I think my biggest worry is entering an environment that is toxic. If we’re all competing for that extra funding, will we ever be truly happy when someone in the cohort succeeds, or will we feel the need to out perform them, so to speak? A cohort should be a supportive group, and I don’t want to constantly compare myself to them. However, I’ve come to determine that this is likely my anxiety talking. 

You are valued, friend. You were taken over so many other people. Your POI probably signed off on your acceptance, and someone whom you admire wants to work with YOU! Take the offer that you feel is best for you. At the end of the day, they valued you enough to send you an acceptance offer. 

Keep afloat, friend; you’re going to graduate school—congratulations!

Thank you so much for this vote of confidence! I do think I need to chill out about things a bit, and maybe not compare myself to others. 

That being said, I'm similarly worried about a competitive/toxic atmosphere. I totally agree that being the one granted extra funding presents its own pressures. I doubt students will resent you (at least not intentionally), but I do think they might grow an early resentment for the department, which is never good. You might want to ask for the email of a grad student to get a sense of how competitive the environment is.

As someone who has both been on the "offered more" and "offered less" side of things, I really wish these departments would just offer money out equitably. It just doesn't feel good to get paid less or more when every grad student is diligent, intelligent, and likely financially struggling. 

All this being said, congratulations on your fellowship and your acceptance! I hope you truly enjoy growing and learning in whichever program you choose :)

Edited by OperaGhost

1 hour ago, Hard times! said:

Heyya! Thanks thanks! How are things looking with CUNY? It would be great if you can go!

It helps to listen to others given things are very different in my country (the job situation isn't good anywhere though)!

Haha if I were to aim for the top 20s I couldn't have applied at all because my fields super-specific and few people work on them and the top 20s mostly don't bother about them lol! In terms of my area, all three are well-known though I am not sure about the job prospects. But I will try to get an idea of what these schools do after their grad students have graduated... huh!

But thanks for your opinion and advice :)

I’m a bit on the fence about whether CUNY will become a reality. It’d be great since their faculty members perfectly align with my interest. However, when I received my other offer, I reached out to inquire about the waitlist. I didn’t get the most assuring response. They only have two spots for my subfield, and my spot on the waitlist (third), from what I was told, seemed too low for that to become a reality. I was also told that if a early modern student declines their spot, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll pull an early modern applicant from the list. They want balance, so they might take someone from another field, so long as they still have at least one early modern applicant. I remember telling myself “well, guess that’s not happening!”

But something told me to go to the open house, and there were SO many early modern applicants. They put us in groups based on our specialties. Our group had about 20 or so people, and like half of them were early modern, give or take. No idea why they keep so many on their list when they only have two (maybe even just one from what he said) spots; I was talking with a friend about this, and she suggested that they must know that a lot of people say no given the combination of the location and the stipend amount (not exactly livable funding for NY!), so they buffer their list to assure that they’ll have a cohort. 

Keeping my fingers crossed!

35 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

I’m a bit on the fence about whether CUNY will become a reality. It’d be great since their faculty members perfectly align with my interest. However, when I received my other offer, I reached out to inquire about the waitlist. I didn’t get the most assuring response. They only have two spots for my subfield, and my spot on the waitlist (third), from what I was told, seemed too low for that to become a reality. I was also told that if a early modern student declines their spot, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll pull an early modern applicant from the list. They want balance, so they might take someone from another field, so long as they still have at least one early modern applicant. I remember telling myself “well, guess that’s not happening!”

But something told me to go to the open house, and there were SO many early modern applicants. They put us in groups based on our specialties. Our group had about 20 or so people, and like half of them were early modern, give or take. No idea why they keep so many on their list when they only have two (maybe even just one from what he said) spots; I was talking with a friend about this, and she suggested that they must know that a lot of people say no given the combination of the location and the stipend amount (not exactly livable funding for NY!), so they buffer their list to assure that they’ll have a cohort. 

Keeping my fingers crossed!

You have an acceptance to fall back on even if you don't get your dream school which is good. I am just marvelling at what incredible amount of luck is involved in the whole process! Like someone said CU Boulder accepted only 2 people this year--that's crazy! And I saw several people on the dashbrown being disappointed over Yale's 3 admits (keeping in mind Yale has great funding sources from all directions). I am sure even if things are super-competitive, people being accepted at say Princeton would not be accepted at Yale for not being competitive enough. It all boils down to fit it seems and the area a school is going after in a particular year... I guess with CUNY, maybe they wanted more people from Early Modern this time around.

Hope you hear from them soon--that's the best they can do--to let you know sooner so that it's easier for you to make a decision--whatever the final outcome :)

Cheerio :)

Congrats to everyone who received offers and best of luck to those of you who are on waitlists or didn't have things work out this time around.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has received an offer but is on the waitlist for another school (I think @Shake829 is in this boat). How long are you planning to wait to hear back from the waitlist? 

Also, if anyone else is planning to start their PhD and has kids, how has that factored into your decision? I've been accepted to a program that is an incredibly good fit from an academic perspective, has good funding and an additional fellowship, but would be tough on my family, and I'm on the waitlist for a program that is still a very good fit (and more highly ranked) and would be MUCH better for my family. I'm trying to decide how long I should give the waitlist school before committing to the sure thing and I don't want to shortchange my kids if there's an opportunity for us to live closer to our support network and for me to avoid evening classes. 

1 hour ago, CHP47 said:

Congrats to everyone who received offers and best of luck to those of you who are on waitlists or didn't have things work out this time around.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has received an offer but is on the waitlist for another school (I think @Shake829 is in this boat). How long are you planning to wait to hear back from the waitlist? 

Also, if anyone else is planning to start their PhD and has kids, how has that factored into your decision? I've been accepted to a program that is an incredibly good fit from an academic perspective, has good funding and an additional fellowship, but would be tough on my family, and I'm on the waitlist for a program that is still a very good fit (and more highly ranked) and would be MUCH better for my family. I'm trying to decide how long I should give the waitlist school before committing to the sure thing and I don't want to shortchange my kids if there's an opportunity for us to live closer to our support network and for me to avoid evening classes. 

Hey! You’re correct—I am in the same boat. I don’t have kids (do my dogs count? ?), so I won’t be helpful with that. I’m in a position where I can pick up and go, so to speak. 

I have until April 15th to accept the other offer. I’ll be waiting probably until the second week of April, but I plan to reach out during that first week to get another sense of how realistic my chances are at that point.

Have you reached out to the waitlisted program yet? I did. I was really transparent with them—said I had another offer but was still interested in their program. They replied quickly and we’re understanding and forthcoming. They told me my position on the waitlist as well as the number of offers available. This can give you a realistic view of your chances, and perhaps give you more room to speak with your family about what is more likely to happen.  

19 hours ago, Shake829 said:

Hey! You’re correct—I am in the same boat. I don’t have kids (do my dogs count? ?), so I won’t be helpful with that. I’m in a position where I can pick up and go, so to speak. 

I have until April 15th to accept the other offer. I’ll be waiting probably until the second week of April, but I plan to reach out during that first week to get another sense of how realistic my chances are at that point.

Have you reached out to the waitlisted program yet? I did. I was really transparent with them—said I had another offer but was still interested in their program. They replied quickly and we’re understanding and forthcoming. They told me my position on the waitlist as well as the number of offers available. This can give you a realistic view of your chances, and perhaps give you more room to speak with your family about what is more likely to happen.  

I have been in touch with the grad director about the waitlist, and it's basically a question of whether someone in the right subfield declines. Apparently I'm 1-2 spots away depending on the subfield since my topic spans several areas, so I just need the right person to say no. 

I'm glad to hear you're waiting until April to respond. That makes me feel better about sitting on my offer a bit longer. As someone on a waitlist, I've been feeling bad about holding on to an offer I might not take if it means someone else can come off of the waitlist, but I guess that's just how this goes. Hope your waitlist offer works out!

It’s really relieving to read these posts and see that a lot of y’all are in the same boat - selecting for funding, ranking, or dream program.

My dream program told me I was in their top 3 but is offering a miserable stipend of $10,000 per year while expecting me to pay several thousand in fees and $4000 in mandatory health insurance (I think I could possibly circumvent this by getting on medicaid). The cost of living has skyrocketed because of the “covid escape to Montana,” as I’m calling it. Three different people from their department have reached out to me to answer questions and tell me how exciting my app was, and it’s breaking my heart that I won’t be able to go there unless a money miracle happens. They are pretty low on the ranking list.

Another place has offered $13000 the first year and over $17000 the second! Their program is really unique, won’t make me teach the first year while I’m a research assistant, they’re higher ranked, low cost of living, department seems to have a reputation for being radical (a plus for me). Sounds amazing, but their program isn’t as tailored to my interests as the other one, and it’s in a corn field. The choice seems obvious, but my friends keep telling me to choose the other one. I suspect they just want someone to visit in Montana.

How to choose ?

2 hours ago, sadevilminion said:

It’s really relieving to read these posts and see that a lot of y’all are in the same boat - selecting for funding, ranking, or dream program.

My dream program told me I was in their top 3 but is offering a miserable stipend of $10,000 per year while expecting me to pay several thousand in fees and $4000 in mandatory health insurance (I think I could possibly circumvent this by getting on medicaid). The cost of living has skyrocketed because of the “covid escape to Montana,” as I’m calling it. Three different people from their department have reached out to me to answer questions and tell me how exciting my app was, and it’s breaking my heart that I won’t be able to go there unless a money miracle happens. They are pretty low on the ranking list.

Another place has offered $13000 the first year and over $17000 the second! Their program is really unique, won’t make me teach the first year while I’m a research assistant, they’re higher ranked, low cost of living, department seems to have a reputation for being radical (a plus for me). Sounds amazing, but their program isn’t as tailored to my interests as the other one, and it’s in a corn field. The choice seems obvious, but my friends keep telling me to choose the other one. I suspect they just want someone to visit in Montana.

How to choose ?

This is quite the dilemma! Sorry that you’re going through this. There are many variables in place to give you a more definitive answer. Both stipends seem a bit low, but a 10k stipend is very low—is this an MA or a PhD? Can you add to this by tutoring at a campus writing center? Would you be on your own, or do you have a support system in place? Is one of your friends willing to come with you and be a roommate?

My biggest advice would be not to do anything that will financially burden you. You say “pretty low” when discussing rankings of the 10k program. If the program is going to financially burden you AND make it difficult for you to get a job after, I think that makes your process a little easier.

I was in a similar situation last year. My only acceptance offered me 13k with no insurance; the state had a VERY high cost of living, and the ranking was also pretty low. All of my friends were also telling me to take it, and I was seriously considering it. Before doing so, though, I spoke with a former professor on the phone, and she expressed concerns that the combination of a financial burden and an even more bleak job prospect after graduation (competing with those who went to high-end programs) made the offer quite bad. I sat down and did the math and realized that I just wouldn’t be able to do it. I would’ve needed to adjunct in addition to performing my teaching duties with the program just to barely get by. It wasn’t worth it given the program’s ranking. Was it disheartening? Yes—very much so! I had to hold off for yet another year. I felt so lost; I was going to be three years removed from an MA and haven’t yet started my PhD. However, I made my application stronger. Now, I have a great offer with insurance and a pretty high stipend with an additional fellowship on top of it. The program is also pretty good in terms of ranking. I’m also on a waitlist for another top 20 program, and no matter what, I’ll have an offer that I can live on. Please just know your worth and do not do anything that will burden you. 

If you can make the dream program work, you should, of course, follow your dreams. But nobody should financially burden themselves to go to grad school. 

Finally reached out to UC Riverside and got a very thoughtful response saying that I am on their waitlist, and despite the committee being enthusiastic about my application, they have had a higher number of acceptances than expected and my chances of getting in off the waitlist are low. I'll be giving up my spot since I have an offer from a better-fit program.

1 hour ago, Shake829 said:

This is quite the dilemma! Sorry that you’re going through this. There are many variables in place to give you a more definitive answer. Both stipends seem a bit low, but a 10k stipend is very low—is this an MA or a PhD? Can you add to this by tutoring at a campus writing center? Would you be on your own, or do you have a support system in place? Is one of your friends willing to come with you and be a roommate?

My biggest advice would be not to do anything that will financially burden you. You say “pretty low” when discussing rankings of the 10k program. If the program is going to financially burden you AND make it difficult for you to get a job after, I think that makes your process a little easier.

I was in a similar situation last year. My only acceptance offered me 13k with no insurance; the state had a VERY high cost of living, and the ranking was also pretty low. All of my friends were also telling me to take it, and I was seriously considering it. Before doing so, though, I spoke with a former professor on the phone, and she expressed concerns that the combination of a financial burden and an even more bleak job prospect after graduation (competing with those who went to high-end programs) made the offer quite bad. I sat down and did the math and realized that I just wouldn’t be able to do it. I would’ve needed to adjunct in addition to performing my teaching duties with the program just to barely get by. It wasn’t worth it given the program’s ranking. Was it disheartening? Yes—very much so! I had to hold off for yet another year. I felt so lost; I was going to be three years removed from an MA and haven’t yet started my PhD. However, I made my application stronger. Now, I have a great offer with insurance and a pretty high stipend with an additional fellowship on top of it. The program is also pretty good in terms of ranking. I’m also on a waitlist for another top 20 program, and no matter what, I’ll have an offer that I can live on. Please just know your worth and do not do anything that will burden you. 

If you can make the dream program work, you should, of course, follow your dreams. But nobody should financially burden themselves to go to grad school. 

Ah, thanks for this advice. They’re both MA programs. Both boast of placing students into PhD programs afterwards, but I’ll look more into that. I will probably go with the better offer, because yea, I’m not in a position to take out loans or spread myself thin with secret side gigs.

8 minutes ago, sadevilminion said:

Ah, thanks for this advice. They’re both MA programs. Both boast of placing students into PhD programs afterwards, but I’ll look more into that. I will probably go with the better offer, because yea, I’m not in a position to take out loans or spread myself thin with secret side gigs.

I think an MA program complicates the situation further. I have an MA, and I feel that I was trained really well. I was also able to gain teaching experience from my program. My stipend wasn’t the greatest, but I didn’t have to relocate for the program, and I already had a support system in place. A lot of people advise against MA’s unless they’re 100% fully funded. (I’ve even given friends this advice). 

Personally, I wouldn’t have financially burdened myself for my MA. You also have to think about after your program. PhD programs are hard to get into. This is my third cycle. And here’s the sad reality: Jobs in our field are hard to come by. I’m adjuncting and have been doing so for a while as I wait for the opportunity to start my PhD. If you want to do a PhD after, you’ll likely look for temporary work while you fill out your application (like adjunct work). You’ll tell yourself that you’ll temporarily do the adjunct work because you’re going to start a new program in the fall (trust me, I’ve convinced myself of this three times and have been adjuncting for three straight application cycles). Depending on the university’s pay, it might keep you afloat. I’m personally fine, but I also know of colleagues who are working at 4 different schools and teaching 10-12 classes a semester just to get by. It can be stressful if you’re on your own. A lot are older folks with just an MA—some are also filling out PhD applications like myself so that they can move on to something else. 

Here’s my biggest advice to avoid waiting after you get an MA. In your first year, approach a professor with similar interests and ask for an independent study. Be transparent and say that your goal is to produce a PhD worthy writing sample. A lot of my cohort did this and got accepted to good programs before I did. I wish I had done this!

If you know you can make that second offer work (always calculate the numbers!!), you should go for it over the one that will burden you. Either way, good luck—you’re going to grad school, and you should be proud of yourself. 

Hey there! I wanted to start a thread where 2022 applicants could list their final decisions for where they will enroll in the fall! 

I will kick it off by saying that I've just accepted my offer at University of California - Davis !!!