2022 Applicants

2 minutes ago, heterotopia said:

@plainblacktightsHi there, I'm the CUNY English acceptee on the board. Yesterday I received an informal email from my POI at CUNY and they said that I'll receive officlal letters of acceptance and funding information in the coming days. My subfield is postcolonial studies, if that's helpful. To be honest, I didn't expect to hear from them this early; I think historically they release results around mid-February, so don't give up hope just yet! I know nothing about their complit program though. Fingers crossed for you!

thank you!!!! apparently comp lit is conducting interviews? the web, as you most likely know, has absolutely no information about what happens after you apply. and hey CONGRATULATIONS!!!¡!!!

45 minutes ago, heterotopia said:

@plainblacktightsHi there, I'm the CUNY English acceptee on the board. Yesterday I received an informal email from my POI at CUNY and they said that I'll receive officlal letters of acceptance and funding information in the coming days. My subfield is postcolonial studies, if that's helpful. To be honest, I didn't expect to hear from them this early; I think historically they release results around mid-February, so don't give up hope just yet! I know nothing about their complit program though. Fingers crossed for you!

Congratulations!! Thank you for this info; may I ask when you applied?

8 hours ago, Hard times! said:

What's your field? @Submarina

Postcolonial lit! Pretty classic for international applicants I think.

To be honest I was hoping to get a NYC acceptance as my SO lives there, but it might not happen for me. I'm still over the moon about Cornell though!

Edited by Submarina

5 minutes ago, Submarina said:

Congratulations!! Thank you for this info; may I ask when you applied?

Postcolonial lit! Pretty classic for international applicants I think.

To be honest I was hoping to get a NYC acceptance as my SO lives there, but it might not happen for me. I'm still over the moon about Cornell though!

Mine has nothing to do with postcolonial lit and i am worried sick--few places do comics and philosophy together :o if i am lucky enough to get an acceptance anywhere at all, i would certainly take Cornell's critical theory course. Cornell is a great school!

5 minutes ago, Hard times! said:

Mine has nothing to do with postcolonial lit and i am worried sick--few places do comics and philosophy together :o if i am lucky enough to get an acceptance anywhere at all, i would certainly take Cornell's critical theory course. Cornell is a great school!

What an awesome area of research! (Big comics fan here). My research is critical theory focused too and I think they are very theory focused even across departments. Fingers crossed for you!

7 minutes ago, heterotopia said:

@Submarina I submitted my application in early December, approximately a month before CUNY's deadline. 

Huge congratulations on your Cornell acceptance!

This is super reassuring - for those of us who applied closer to the end, it probably means they haven't gotten to our applications yet?

And thank you!!

7 minutes ago, Submarina said:

What an awesome area of research! (Big comics fan here). My research is critical theory focused too and I think they are very theory focused even across departments. Fingers crossed for you!

This is super reassuring - for those of us who applied closer to the end, it probably means they haven't gotten to our applications yet?

And thank you!!

Can't add more reacts but oh that's very reassuring really because I submitted my application about an hour before the deadline after sending off an angry email to the dept about my credit card not being accepted and having to ask my brother to pay lol. If they start factoring in all the pre-application stuff as well i am certainly done for. I submitted almost all my applications dangerously close to the deadlines :o screwed thrice over: super-late applications, a wobbly research area and my own shortcomings as a writer. Lol!

44 minutes ago, Submarina said:

And thank you!!

Also, do these adcomms go through apps chronologically? I thought they do so by fields/interests!

Edited by Hard times!

Just now, Dovey said:

For people who applied to Rutgers, does your portal application status still say “application submitted” rather than “under review”? 

Yup. Mine, sadly, has said 'submitted' for literally all of them... total radio silence. One of my schools apparently is doing interviews. Someone got waitlisted yesterday at one of the schools I applied to... a couple weeks back someone was rejected from one of the schools I applied to... but total silence otherwise. 

English PhD Fall 2022 Apps: UC Berkeley (my alma mater), Stanford, U Penn, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Columbia, Yale, Harvard

(A/R/W/P)

Research Interests: 19th century British lit & the psycho-ecology of narrative and novel space 

3 hours ago, Shake829 said:

I wonder why some programs have so few acceptances. Do people think that there are less folks on the results page this year because that forum now requires an email to submit? This wasn’t required last year (and I assume years before that). Those without an account might feel hesitant to give their email to this site. Thoughts?

When I applied 3 years ago there was significantly more activity on the forums than there seems to be now, so I think this is a safe bet. That said, some programs are still feeling the effects of pandemic budget-cutting and have definitely shrunk their cohort size

14 minutes ago, robertsona_grad said:

that new CUNY acceptance uhfff my brain and heart. shut out again...?

At least I can safely conclude it's a rejection for me! And again the string of implied rejections...

14 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Also, do these adcomms go through apps chronologically? I thought they do so by fields/interests!

Unsure -- I would assume this would be the case in most adcomms but CUNY acceptances do seem to be coming out in chronological order. I can't find it when I'm looking at the website, but I recall reading somewhere that they recommended applying early so they could get to your application sooner. If I find the info I'll edit this post.

Don't give up hope yet - it's still early!

4 minutes ago, Submarina said:

Unsure -- I would assume this would be the case in most adcomms but CUNY acceptances do seem to be coming out in chronological order. I can't find it when I'm looking at the website, but I recall reading somewhere that they recommended applying early so they could get to your application sooner. If I find the info I'll edit this post.

Don't give up hope yet - it's still early!

Good lord! I didn't know some schools have their applications time-stamped! If late application works against you I am certainly out! All the more reason to give up already :o

5 hours ago, heterotopia said:

@medievalpeasantI just received an email from the DGS telling me that I'm waitlisted...

Congratulations! I was accepted but likely will be choosing Cornell (though still have to talk to professors and waiting to hear back from other places), so they will likely be taking someone off the waitlist. Let me know if you have any more questions- would be happy to ask when I talk to the graduate coordinator.

Additionally, for those curious, it seems like Cornell took 10 students this year, which I think is their standard cohort size.

3 minutes ago, Submarina said:

Congratulations! I was accepted but likely will be choosing Cornell (though still have to talk to professors and waiting to hear back from other places), so they will likely be taking someone off the waitlist. Let me know if you have any more questions- would be happy to ask when I talk to the graduate coordinator.

Additionally, for those curious, it seems like Cornell took 10 students this year, which I think is their standard cohort size.

Congratulations! Johns Hopkins and Cornell! 

4 hours ago, Submarina said:

Thank you! 

Cornell AND Johns Hopkins! I believe your application package must be particularly strong?. Congrats!!