DAAD Master Studies for All Academic Disciplines 2022-2023

boogy

On 5/3/2022 at 5:35 PM, Bojan123 said:

I applied for Postgraduate Studies in the Fields of Fine Art, Design, Visual Communication and Film in South Korea!  And waiting for the final result!  I also sent emails asking questions about the results in March and April, and got similar answers.  I believe it will come out this month at the latest.  Are there any changes to your portal?

Edited by Ins
error

Congratulations to those who are beginning to find out they received the award and sorry to those who are receiving rejections.

In case anyone is planning to reapply (or future applicants are reading this thread years from now), I wanted to share the essay format recommended by my University (I received funding, and our University has a high rate of students who do each year. In fact, I don't know of any students who have applied and been rejected probably because our school puts quite a bit of effort into helping with our applications). Each number was basically a paragraph: 

1. Begin with staging the problem/issue you wish to explore in your grad program. What questions are motivating you, why do they matter, etc.

2. Explain how your chosen degree program, and specifically the opportunities afforded by your first-choice university, will allow you to answer this problem. What will be your approach (I laid out my M.A. thesis research plans in relative detail. Where I wanted to research, what methods I would use, how the program would support the work, etc.). 

3. Discuss the specifics of your first-choice program. Show that you know a lot about it, particularly through highlighting its unique features. Connect the program back to the questions/problems you raised above.

4. Discuss your B.A. program and how it has prepared you for M.A. coursework. Talk about any other experiences that have prepared you for success in the program. Make it clear that there is no doubt you will be an excellent student. (I talked about my academic research experience and coursework as it pertained to my planned degree program).

5. Talk about your interest in German culture, and especially how you have engaged with German culture thus far. Have you engaged with German-language clubs at your school? Volunteered with German organizations? Taken a German cooking class? Demonstrate genuine interest and engagement. Then, discuss how you will continue this engagement in the city of your top-choice University. (I taught German to elementary school students in my university's city and then said I hope to teach English/German to refugees through volunteer programs once in Germany). 

6. Contextualize the M.A. program within your broader life plans. How will it help you grow as a person? How will it benefit your future career? If you plan to pursue a Ph.D., even if you're just floating the idea, mention it. According to my University, the DAAD tends to favor those pursuing academia. 

7. End with a brief paragraph about your second- and third-choice universities. This should be the first time you mention them. Here, it should be implicitly understood that you could still achieve your goals at the alternatives, but wouldn't have as good of an experience. You really want the essay to make it come across as if your top choice university is your dream opportunity.

Overall, they recommended that we:

1.) Demonstrate that going to Germany, and specifically attending the program at our first-choice university, is the best and only way to achieve our goals. 

2.) Make a big show of all efforts and experiences to learn/master the German language and connect to German culture. 

I'm happy to share any of my application materials privately if people would find it helpful. I do wish you all the best and hope that you have success when/if you apply again! 

Edited by queercubed

On 5/3/2022 at 7:34 AM, QWWK said:

Mine still says application submitted...

I'm from Spain and I'm going to Bonn to do the master's in Mathematics.

I don't have any hope at this point.

Did you have an interview? 

Yeah I'm just worrying about it all day, I should let it go...

10 hours ago, QWWK said:

@annie_d I emailed the Spanish DAAD and I was told that decisions are gonna come out later than the last week of July

Really?? I emailed them last week and they said june or july... There's no way to plan ahead like this ?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aleks_ said:

Let's break the long silence with a relatable meme (credit to Ufora, last year's forum).

Has anyone had any updates? Mine is still paper copies received, applied for postgraduates Fine art/Film area. I'm getting impatient xD

"unfortunately the process is being delayed but we will inform you about the results as soon as possible!" I got this message over a week ago ? 

last year the results were available first week of june, so 3 more weeks to hit last years date

I also applied for the art scholarship and am still waiting.  A friend of mine had an art/design scholarship last year and she said she received her results in May.  I want to get results quickly ?

I got my rejection today for the Fine Arts bursary. There were 561 applicants and 53 bursaries available. Good luck to everybody else.

Will try again next year.

Out of curiosity, to what art schools have you applied? I applied to HFBK Hamburg, HfK Bremem and HGB Leipzig.

25 minutes ago, cherry_chase said:

I got my rejection today for the Fine Arts bursary. There were 561 applicants and 53 bursaries available. Good luck to everybody else.

Out of curiosity, to what art schools have you applied? I applied to HFBK Hamburg, HfK Bremem and HGB Leipzig.

Im sorry to hear that.

Where did you applyed from? Have you just got the news? I wonder why I havent got any updates. I really dont think Im one of the 53 lucky applicants. I also applyed for HFBK Hamburg and Hfk Bremen but I was already rejected by HFBK.

Anyone else is still waiting?

15 hours ago, cherry_chase said:

I also just received the rejection message :(

14 minutes ago, Bojan123 said:

@pdrviana @Daria_Ts

Any updates on you guys? Did you get a positive answer this year? 

Hi, thank you for bringing my attention to this chain of posts. I registered on this forum to find out info for my ex who was in arts looking for scholarships but I never used this account to write anything. My credentials were stolen by someone else who pretended to be me. I am indeed a student from Moscow, but I study a STEM subject at Oxford on PhD level. None of the messages sent by this user were from me, and therefore you should not pay any attention to them. I will delete this account now, because it was clearly hijacked. Good luck with whatever you applied for.

23 minutes ago, Bojan123 said:

@pdrviana @Daria_Ts

Hey @Bojan123, unfortunately I was rejected today. Only 36 out of 561 applicants were nominated for the scholarship in  Latin America, which is a depressed percentage compared to other regions. I won be able to try again next year because I just started another master programe in my home country, but if you gonna try again next year I recommend you to work on your portfolio because it really is what matters the most, says every scholarship holder I talked to. Good Luck!

12 hours ago, Bojan123 said:

@pdrviana @Daria_Ts

Hi! 
I’ve got rejected this year too. I received the email last week. But I’m ok with it because I just started a new job and I see a lot of new opportunities there:)

I’m not sure if I’ll try this again. My language certificates are from 2020 and they’ll be too old for the third application. 
Wish you luck with your next application, if you’ll try again!

Aaand I am a real person ? I believe the user above was mistaken. It’s just a coincidence that we have simular names:)

Hi! I wanted to ask you guys what appears for you under the tab "Options". For me, before it was "Application to attend the selection meeting via video conference" and "Statement on participation in the virtual selection meeting", and when i found out i kinda panicked and sent those documents, although later I asked them and they said I didn't need to. But now a new one appears, "Participation Video Conference", and I really don't know what all these changes mean, and if that could mean that they're doing interviews and I haven't been selected or it just appears for everyone. 

I also asked them if they are doing interviews this year for my country (Spain), and they replied that "at the moment, we are not planning on doing interviews" (my attempt at a translation), but I don't know if that could mean that they have already done them.

• 6 months later...