Is it loserish or immature to be a grad student and have friends who are undergrads

PhantomThief

I am in Canada and doing a 2nd year MA and I am 23-24. This year, I went to clubs and made friends in undergrad who are in second year-fourth year and ages are 20, 21 22, 23. A lot of stuff was one online, so I hardly met folks in my MA. On halloween, I went to a party with one of my friends in fourth year that had undergrads(drinking age in Canada is 19+). I was wondering, is this loserish or immature or sound like I’m that creepy old guy trying to fit in with youngsters?

I look at it as friends are friends. Everyone is at different places in their lives. I'm friends with the lab tech I work with and she's a few years older than me. The other master's student in my lab is a few years younger than me. 

You've asked this same question multiple times and you always argue with people, regardless of what answer they give. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with this line of questioning? Do whatever makes you happy. Some people will find it odd for grad students to hang out with undergrads. Some won't. At the end of the day, other people's opinion doesn't matter a whole lot. 

4 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

You've asked this same question multiple times and you always argue with people, regardless of what answer they give. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with this line of questioning? Do whatever makes you happy. Some people will find it odd for grad students to hang out with undergrads. Some won't. At the end of the day, other people's opinion doesn't matter a whole lot. 

Well, I don't want to look like some loser trying to cling on to his youth or something

Who would see it as odd and why? does it depend on age

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 1:11 PM, PhantomThief said:

Well, I don't want to look like some loser trying to cling on to his youth or something

Who would see it as odd and why? does it depend on age

Why don't you talk to you friends about it and get their feedback, rather than from some strangers?

• 1 month later...

It's fine to have friends who are undergrads. After two graduate degrees I went back to my undergrad school to take prerequisites and made more undergrad friends. There are plenty of people there who use their brains in a mature way. The ones who don't I just simply made sure to stay clear of them and not spend time I did not have. I also have friends who finished college long time ago, so they are older than me. Some are much older. Not age number makes a person but who they are. 

Major for undergrad: physical education

Major first grad: dance education

Major second grad: applied physiology

Major for second undergrad: pre-med

Thinking that it is "loserish" for a 24 year old to hang with individuals only 4 years younger than them is what is immature. That age gap means nothing in your 30s and beyond, and from the perspective of anyone who is older, you are all basically the same age. Unless you have a partner and kids at home while you are out partying with college kids, you are in no way behaving inappropriately. Don't overthink this. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 32... and my closest friend now is a girl of 25))) we have much in common and easily understand each other.  All in all, it's much easier for me to communicate to younger people and even kids. And I feel tired and bored of talking to older persons or of the same age. And I feel happy, my wishes come true, I don't feel like I lose something in my life.

• 2 months later...