Performance Studies Applicants 2022

Sarah1010

Hey all!  Just wondered if there was anyone in the same boat as I am, after finishing applications for various Performance Studies graduate programs, and is freaking out!  Did anyone apply to the Columbia Theatre and Performance Studies Program?  That's my dream program but it must be crazy difficult to get in....where else did folks apply?  

Hey! I applied to Columbia's program too! I wonder if they've started sending out requests for interviews—kinda bummed since requests have historically gone out as early as Jan 5. I'm staying hopeful for the time being. A few more days and I'll be forced to come to terms with a rejection (it's all so competitive!).

I also applied to the PS programs at Northwestern, Brown, UChicago (via CMS), and am putting the finishing touches on my Tufts app. What about you?

I'm still crossing my fingers for Columbia, though I know how incredibly competitive that program is!  Good to know that though so I'm not waiting weeks hoping for an interview slot! 

I applied to York University in Toronto, Tufts, and NYU, though I've been warned that the cost of NYU's MA program is crazy.  Thought it was worth applying though, as I've also heard that NYU pulls mainly from its MA pool for its PhD program and that program is incredible.  Ugh the waiting is so stressful and it's only been a couple of weeks!  

From personal experience, the NYU program is truly amazing, and any chance of increasing your odds for their PhD is worth taking! They told me that there's some financial support available for MA students—up to (on very rare occasions) full tuition support, and a variety of other, partial scholarships. I bet the costs still spiral (NYC livin'), so I just couldn't bring myself to apply. Hope you get in though :)) And good luck for all your other apps—they're all such great schools!

Now I'm back to stressing... every day of waiting feels like a week. 

Edit: I just heard back from Columbia and their list of interviews will only be determined near the end of the month.

Edited by Zinfandel

From what I've heard of the process, if you make the interview stage you'll hear much earlier!  There's at least one or two rounds of interviews for PhD programs.  March is when they start sending the acceptance/rejection letters.  Is I think how it works!  

Which west coast schools?  Berkeley has an incredible program!  

On 1/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, Sarah1010 said:

From what I've heard of the process, if you make the interview stage you'll hear much earlier!  There's at least one or two rounds of interviews for PhD programs.  March is when they start sending the acceptance/rejection letters.  Is I think how it works!  

Which west coast schools?  Berkeley has an incredible program!  

I'm applying to UW, CU Boulder, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara, and UC San Diego

Hey! Same, got my first rejection from Berkeley. :(

I have applied to Northwestern PS, Tufts, Brown, Cornell, Stanford, Minnesota as well. Waiting is not nice at all. 

Has anyone heard from Stanford yet? Any idea by when will they reach out, if selected for interviews? 

All the best to you all! 

hi y’all!

just wanted to write that I’ve received invitations to interview within the next week for Stanford and Brown TAPS. I’ve gone through this graduate process before, so I know how unsettling it is waiting for months without any communication—thought I’d let everyone know where those schools are at in the admission process.

where else are people waiting to hear from?

Edited by PSY2

Got my rejection from Brown today. A nice message, but it stings. Congrats to PSY2!

I'm still waiting on all my other schools, but I think that's a good sign I haven't made it to the interview stage.

A part of me is still hopeful, but another is already planning for next year's cycle.

Hi everyone, sympathies to everyone waiting to hear back, or not hearing such great news - I hear ya! Congrats to all the interviews and acceptances! 

Just wanted to add that I received an invitation to the recruitment weekend (online) at Northwestern back on January 31. It's not until the end of this month. 

My understanding is that NYU usually gets back to everyone at once, around mid March. The internal applications are only due today, so I think they don't start reviewing those until after this weekend. 

Edited by bookmark3

Just checking in to see if people have heard anything more from TAPS programs. I applied to both history and TAPS programs (my interest is 19th century American popular performance) and it seems like many more history programs have already sent out decisions compared to TAPS programs.