Apartment application

joro

I saw an apartment I'd like to see, but the person I emailed requires that I answer a bunch of questions for "screening" purposes before I'm shown the place. He wants my last 4 digits of my ssn, driver's license number, and last 4 digits of my bank account. Is this normal? :mellow:

I'm new to the American housing market but I've rented in different cities in other countries and have never been asked for anything equivalent to that kind of information.

Do you know what the landlord plans to do with this info?

I'm in the same situation. A friend of mine told me that sometimes your checking account number is used to look at your credit...I don't know anything about the other information though.

I saw an apartment I'd like to see, but the person I emailed requires that I answer a bunch of questions for "screening" purposes before I'm shown the place. He wants my last 4 digits of my ssn, driver's license number, and last 4 digits of my bank account. Is this normal? :mellow:

Sounds like a scam, stay away!

Or, so anal that they won't rent to grad students, anyway...

Don't do it! I ran into one like that too. She emailed me and said she would need to run a credit check before she could show me the place. I emailed back and told her I wasn't comfortable with that and could we do something else and I never heard back

Thanks, I guess I will not be getting this place. I have other apartments I'm interested in though. Any tips on what else to look out for?

Thanks, I guess I will not be getting this place. I have other apartments I'm interested in though. Any tips on what else to look out for?

I would send an e-mail asking why they want the info and/or whether their are any other options. The checking info is weird..., but I would ask, if you have seen the place in person and really like it.

The place I'm renting come fall wanted the same information. They said it was for a credit check. I didn't put down my SSN number and Drivers license number and instead wrote down what banks I had accounts with and how much money were the in accounts and they were cool with that (but not account numbers). Maybe try that?

The place I'm renting come fall wanted the same information. They said it was for a credit check. I didn't put down my SSN number and Drivers license number and instead wrote down what banks I had accounts with and how much money were the in accounts and they were cool with that (but not account numbers). Maybe try that?

I think I might just do that to see if that would work.

I've never encountered that for a place I hadn't even been in yet. The most I've been asked for is an important card or something they can hold on to, if they give me the keys to go look by myself! Otherwise, most landlords seem pretty relaxed about showing their places.

I think it's fine. They're only asking for partial numbers for each (except your DL#). I don't think that they can do much with partial numbers. I would suggest that any time you're uncomfortable with the info being requested, do what Shiryastya suggested and give them alternative information or just ask them if it's really necessary. We ran into that issue applying for this rental (the form even asked for our height and weight), and it turned out that she had just sent us a (highly invasive) renters' application that she had found online.

Partials, in many cases, is unobtrusive and seemingly innocent. However, no one needs any numbers from your bank account to verify your identity. Simply knowing the bank name or identifying a loan for a vehicle or property is sufficient if it is simply a verification check (see online drivers safety courses for an example).

If you give your driver's license #, they can (depending on the state) pull your record from the DMV which should have your full legal name, address (mine is my permanent address where all important stuff is sent), your date of birth, your height, weight, eye color, hair color and other identifying information (including a photograph). He also wants the last 4 of your SSN which most places (banks, credit cards, etc.) use for identification purposes. blink.gif

While it may seem somewhat innocuous, people have had their identities stolen with a lot less information.

If they want to rent the apartment, they will show it to you. Don't give the information.

Edited by PastHistory

• 2 weeks later...

If they ask this information before they will show you the place, that is odd. I did give out my social when I was finalizing the application, but I knew the place was legit, as it was recommended by people in my department. Giving a social and DLN is standard practice for places that want a records check, but I wouldn't give that information to just anyone. If I was not really serious about the place (ie I planned to live there), I don't even give my social out on a job app. If they want to hire me, they will and then they can see my social security card or in negotiations, I will give it to them. However, too many people can steal that info and why risk it if nothing is going to come about?