2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

11 hours ago, flowerpot said:

I didn't get an interview either ??

you wrote such good sensual fiction here (I'm not saying that it's the only type you write), and obviously it didn't take you any effort writing them, that I thought you deserve getting into any program you applied!! Fingers crossed for you and all the talented writers (•̀ω•́)

45 minutes ago, Blaze said:

you wrote such good sensual fiction here (I'm not saying that it's the only type you write), and obviously it didn't take you any effort writing them, that I thought you deserve getting into any program you applied!! Fingers crossed for you and all the talented writers (•̀ω•́)

Do you mean the erotic fiction @notebook wrote upthread about Milken's mom? That wasn't mine but I agree that it was worthy of a writing sample... thank you for the encouraging words though lmao!

2 hours ago, flowerpot said:

Do you mean the erotic fiction @notebook wrote upthread about Milken's mom? That wasn't mine but I agree that it was worthy of a writing sample... thank you for the encouraging words though lmao!

oh shit this was embarrassing... sorry @notebook but yes your writing was so impressive, especially considering how effortless it seems for you to write so well... I hate my bad memory (ಥ_ಥ) really sorry for the mistake!!

I see that some schools are calling their accepted applicants. Is there a list anywhere of which schools tend to notify a certain way? I figure if a school is sending acceptances out via the portal, I want to keep checking, but if it's going to call, I might as well save myself the strife because I'd be the first to know acceptances went out if I got one.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:55 PM, Leeannitha said:

If you don’t mind me asking, why did you decide to do both an MFA and a PHD? Just wondering how the programs differ. 

I'll pitch in since I've looked into them. My understanding is that the PhD involves producing some creative work, but most of the program is geared towards academic analysis of creative writing. It does improve your chances for landing a university teaching position, but not as much as a published book does.

Edited by feralgrad

47 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

I see that some schools are calling their accepted applicants. Is there a list anywhere of which schools tend to notify a certain way? I figure if a school is sending acceptances out via the portal, I want to keep checking, but if it's going to call, I might as well save myself the strife because I'd be the first to know acceptances went out if I got one.

To my knowledge, the vast majority of programs call accepted students or send an email (I've seen people posting that they've gotten emails informing them they're in and to expect an official call later). And I don't think any school is going to put an acceptance or waitlist up on their app portal before notifying the student more directly. Rejections, on the other hand, will definitely show up there before the student is notified via email. So unless you see a lot of notices going out on here/draft for that specific program, your chances of finding good news on any program's app portal first is pretty slim—might be best to avoid checking it, if only for sanity's sake. 

1 hour ago, treaux said:

Hoping for better news for both of us soon! 

Thank you so much, I hope so too! I've got 11 more programs to hear back from. How about you?

3 hours ago, treaux said:

Northwestern Litowitz rejection in my inbox. Ah, well. 

I also applied for Northwestern in Fiction, and my inbox has been silent as a stone. Even checked my spam. No update on apply web either. I wonder why ??

Trying not to get my hopes up and guessing there might be multiple rounds to the rejections sent out. Haven't seen any fiction acceptances (though I'm not on Draft), but it's not really standard to send rejections out first, is it?

Edited by dagreenkat

5 minutes ago, angelinsnow said:

hi! can confirm that three fiction writers were offered admission by NW’s litowitz program (current students were updated with the names of all 6 poets / fiction writers this evening). not sure about the waitlist though!

Hopefully I get a response promptly tomorrow because I'm not too hot on the idea of emailing them to remind them to send me a rejection. I think I've earned sweet dreams at least, so I'll just pretend I'm waitlisted for now... or they decided the writers and haven't told them themselves yet ?.

Ok the waiting is killing me… wish I could just turn my brain off lol. I know my time would be better spent doing probably anything else but it is sort of a rush to see people get accepted and hear back and wonder what it means for my own chances… Also, it’s just nice to be surrounded by people who also have similar hopes and dreams knowing that this is still just the beginning of where our lives and writing careers go!!

7 hours ago, Leeannitha said:

Ok the waiting is killing me… wish I could just turn my brain off lol. I know my time would be better spent doing probably anything else but it is sort of a rush to see people get accepted and hear back and wonder what it means for my own chances… Also, it’s just nice to be surrounded by people who also have similar hopes and dreams knowing that this is still just the beginning of where our lives and writing careers go!!

Right there with you. I have to say, seeing "The Morning: State of Uncertainty" roll into my inbox from the NYT today was a hilarious touch on my email's part as I wait for results.

EDIT: literally minutes after NYT, I finally received my form rejection from Litowitz.

Edited by dagreenkat

Just got waitlisted at Indiana! I'm honestly super surprised (I happened to meet a PhD student in IU's English department at a wedding and, after talking to her about the school, I literally said, "Well, it sounds like I'm not the kind of writer they'd be looking for, but I think I'll still apply because why not?") Feels great just to get ANY good news after getting straight rejections my first time around, so I'm pumped—10 more to go! 

24 minutes ago, Norwood said:

Just got waitlisted at Indiana! I'm honestly super surprised (I happened to meet a PhD student in IU's English department at a wedding and, after talking to her about the school, I literally said, "Well, it sounds like I'm not the kind of writer they'd be looking for, but I think I'll still apply because why not?") Feels great just to get ANY good news after getting straight rejections my first time around, so I'm pumped—10 more to go! 

if you get in from the waitlist and choose to attend, let me know! i've lived in bloomington for like 12 years and can give you the rundown of the town. (that is also extended to anyone else, as well!)

Edited by jjooeeyy

4 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

Right there with you. I have to say, seeing "The Morning: State of Uncertainty" roll into my inbox from the NYT today was a hilarious touch on my email's part as I wait for results.

EDIT: literally minutes after NYT, I finally received my form rejection from Litowitz.

Sorry to hear. That program in particular seems like it was really tough since there were so few spots available and probably a million applicants due to the dual MFA and MA. Hang in there ❤️