UW iSchool PhD vs UBC CS MS

nayrita

Hi everyone,

I have a PhD offer from University of Washington iSchool and an MS offer from University of British Columbia Computer Science department. I am having great trouble in deciding between these two offers.

I am an HCI researcher and my future goal is to be an UX researcher / UX designer in the industry. UW is among the top 3 in HCI, so everyone is suggesting me to accept UW offer. Although I know that a PhD will be very good for the career I am envisioning, I am not sure if I want to pursue a PhD now. I am a bit hesitant to make a 6 year PhD commitment. The offer from UBC is from a very reputed senior professor, and an MS may give me option to do research as well as pursue jobs to decide finally if I want to do a PhD. But at the same time, I also realise that the offer from UW is too good to let go. Also, I have heard from alumnis in UBC that the job market in HCI in Canada is sort of bleak. So I am confused if letting go of the UW offer would be a good decision.

Can anyone share any thoughts regarding deciding between this two? Also, can anyone share, if I reject UW and after 2/3 years I feel positive about PhD and decide to reapply, will my application be disregarded since I rejected an offer previously? I believe my profile will be much stronger with an MS. 

Thanks in advance!