2023 Application Thread

dr. t

15 hours ago, historyneaonnim said:

Hi Everyone! Anyone got any news from Harvard and Emory?

I applied to Harvard as well but hasn't heard anything yet! Based on what I read from past year's results, it seems Harvard will directly give decision and won't do interview (at least no formal interviews). I zoomed with my POI in November and he encouraged to email and talk with other professors in my field if possible as one students has to gain at least 2-3 faculty support in order to be nominated for the admissions committee to consider.

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's research area, and if not listed as your signature, where are you applying? My focus is Modern Europe, specifically Germany, and my research focuses on the legacies and memorialization of German anti-Nazi resistance groups from the 1940s to the present day. 

4 hours ago, delirious said:

Did anyone apply to Yale/have updates on interviews?

Same question. Are interviews mandatory at Yale? I saw conflicting posts from previous years. Some ppl received offers after interviews but some received offers without interviews. Very confused now....

3 hours ago, 50CentParty said:

Does anyone know if UChicago does interviews? Based on past years' results, it seems there's conflicting information.

Depends on the department, but at least on their social sciences division website they state:

“Only a few programs interview applicants. Those that do will issue invitations via the online application system in January or February. At the time interview invitations are issued, applicants who are not selected to move forward are notified of their decisions. The following programs conduct interviews:  Anthropology (PhD) Comparative Human Development (PhD) Political Economy (PhD) Psychology (PhD) Sociology (PhD)."

Hope this helps, but even for the departments listed above, they don't quite seem to interview all admitted students so I guess we never know

6 hours ago, jordan12 said:

Based on the Princeton acceptance dates from prior years (early February), I'm inclined to think (hope) that was a troll...

I tend to believe that's 70-80% a troll. Past gradcafe results show Princeton only did three interviews in 2008, 2012, and 2015 respectively; not a single interview was conducted during the past three cycles. Of course, the data is self-selected, but based on this, I have no reason at all to believe Princeton History does interview on a regularly basis.

19 hours ago, orcinusorca said:

To the person who posted about Yale, congratulations! How did you hear about the decisions?

4 hours ago, 50CentParty said:

I tend to believe that's 70-80% a troll. Past gradcafe results show Princeton only did three interviews in 2008, 2012, and 2015 respectively; not a single interview was conducted during the past three cycles. Of course, the data is self-selected, but based on this, I have no reason at all to believe Princeton History does interview on a regularly basis.

100 percent fake. Faculties are just returning from holidays and most still haven't even started reading applications. AdComs at Chicago, Yale, and Stanford usually meet in late Jan and early Feb to make decisions. My best advice is stay off grad cafe. U will hear what u need to hear when the decisions arrive. 

Hi everyone, 

I recently heard back in an informal email from a POI that I wouldn't be successful this cycle. I had spoken to him before applying and he was super thoughtful in the email to me this week. I might be reading too far into this, but it seemed he was implying that he and the other professor in the subfield tried to advocate on my behalf but were unsuccessful.

Just wanted to ask if it is common to hear back this way and if I can extrapolate anything from this situation as I wait for other decisions? Doesn't seem a great sign (if I'm reading this correctly) that I had two professors on board, but they weren't able to get my app off the ground.

Edited by joaofelix

3 hours ago, joaofelix said:

Hi everyone, 

I recently heard back in an informal email from a POI that I wouldn't be successful this cycle. I had spoken to him before applying and he was super thoughtful in the email to me this week. I might be reading too far into this, but it seemed he was implying that he and the other professor in the subfield tried to advocate on my behalf but were unsuccessful.

Just wanted to ask if it is common to hear back this way and if I can extrapolate anything from this situation as I wait for other decisions? Doesn't seem a great sign (if I'm reading this correctly) that I had two professors on board, but they weren't able to get my app off the ground.

I'm not sure what other people will say, but I'd think this is not necessarily a bad sign. If the prof reached out unprompted to update you, I would suspect they saw something in your app and research that they valued and were genuinely disappointed they couldn't convince the rest of the committee. You might just be a better fit in another program. All this to say - sounds like your research is probably valuable, the prof sees it, and hopefully a different program will have more faculty on board.

Edited by delirious

17 hours ago, delirious said:

I'm not sure what other people will say, but I'd think this is not necessarily a bad sign. If the prof reached out unprompted to update you, I would suspect they saw something in your app and research that they valued and were genuinely disappointed they couldn't convince the rest of the committee. You might just be a better fit in another program. All this to say - sounds like your research is probably valuable, the prof sees it, and hopefully a different program will have more faculty on board.

Yes, I suppose you very well could be right. He did reach out unprompted. And it is a good point that other programs might be a better fit and have more room for persons of my subfield. Thank you @delirious! 

45 minutes ago, orcinusorca said:

Do you guys think it's a bad sign not to have received any interview requests until now? 

I think it's still too early since some of the schools don't even start their semester until tomorrow. Also, there's only been a handful of interview results posted on here and Reddit. I feel that starting the last week of January is when we'll start to see more interviews, and possibly acceptances sent out. At least, I'm hoping that's the case; however, that has not stopped me from worrying about it. If others know differently, feel free to correct me!

2 hours ago, CheckYesJules said:

I think it's still too early since some of the schools don't even start their semester until tomorrow... At least, I'm hoping that's the case; however, that has not stopped me from worrying about it. If others know differently, feel free to correct me!

This is my experience, too! Notre Dame doesn't get back until tomorrow, so no interview requests have gone out yet

On 1/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, CheckYesJules said:

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's research area, and if not listed as your signature, where are you applying? My focus is Modern Europe, specifically Germany, and my research focuses on the legacies and memorialization of German anti-Nazi resistance groups from the 1940s to the present day. 

History of Medicine, specifically focusing on Women in Medicine/Women's Health History. :)

On 1/10/2023 at 1:37 PM, CheckYesJules said:

In brief in my signature, but my focus is medieval religious/gender history, and my research is on the sensory experience of pilgrimages/saints' cults and women's emotional reactions to those sensory experiences! I want to focus on the Florence to Rome stretch on the Via Francigena between 1250-1400 AD :)

Side note, my thesis advisor in undergrad does a lot of post-war German memory work-- Dr. Ruff at St. Louis University. He's a super nice guy with very interesting work! 

Hi everyone, I got an email from my POI to schedule short conservation. Based on the data of past three years this program doesn't do interview, and it seems more like an informal meeting with the POI than a formal and standard interview with the committee. I'm a bit confused now and not sure how to prepare for it. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of interview is it and would appreciate any advice!