2023 Applicants

16 minutes ago, hay bagel said:

I haven't heard anything yet, but my app says "awaiting decision" so I am feeling quite terrified ?

omg ty for letting me know, I guess we’ll know soon either way! keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us ?

1 hour ago, DarianAcademia said:

Man can Indiana University release their acceptances already?  Last year people found out February 1st.  I'm hoping that this Monday we'll find out.  I want to get in so bad it feels like I can't breathe.

Same here. What’s your field?

hi, y'all. i had my princeton interview about 10 days ago and thought i would share more about what's going on within the department. i currently have a friend in the program who's been passing along some inside information:

princeton's interview was 15 minutes long and very conversational. it seemed to be an extra step for shortlisted/accepted candidates. the interview thing is new to this cycle. the DGS is relatively new to being the head of the admission committee, so he's trying new things. the grad program administrator said he's been receiving emails from people who didn't get interviews, and he doesn't quite know what to tell them since they didn't receive emails... i'm not sure if that means no interview = no acceptance since they accepted people without interviews last year but it does seem pretty integral to the process this year.

i'm so sorry if this gives you no hope. fingers crossed that admits can get in without interviews like last year. princeton's interview weeks were jan 26-27 and feb 2-3. the DGS said the committee will meet in mid-february and decisions will come back late february, but i believe it'll be within the next two weeks. wishing everyone the best of luck as this next week of decisions begins. may many congratulatory phone calls come our way

1 hour ago, bw_grad said:

hi, y'all. i had my princeton interview about 10 days ago and thought i would share more about what's going on within the department. i currently have a friend in the program who's been passing along some inside information:

princeton's interview was 15 minutes long and very conversational. it seemed to be an extra step for shortlisted/accepted candidates. the interview thing is new to this cycle. the DGS is relatively new to being the head of the admission committee, so he's trying new things. the grad program administrator said he's been receiving emails from people who didn't get interviews, and he doesn't quite know what to tell them since they didn't receive emails... i'm not sure if that means no interview = no acceptance since they accepted people without interviews last year but it does seem pretty integral to the process this year.

i'm so sorry if this gives you no hope. fingers crossed that admits can get in without interviews like last year. princeton's interview weeks were jan 26-27 and feb 2-3. the DGS said the committee will meet in mid-february and decisions will come back late february, but i believe it'll be within the next two weeks. wishing everyone the best of luck as this next week of decisions begins. may many congratulatory phone calls come our way

fwiw - seems like UPenn goes thru a very similar process! last year decisions came out the last week of february after two rounds of interviews the last week of jan and first week of feb 

2 hours ago, bw_grad said:

I think those of us who didn’t get an interview already assumed the worst, so there’s no need to feel bad. I don’t understand why he didn’t know what to say— the right thing to do is to say no and not string people along. I wish more schools are more transparent with their admission process. It really isn’t that hard. If rejections are not personal, there’s no reason to not just come out and say it the way it is. ?‍♀️

Edited by zanthia122

3 hours ago, bw_grad said:

do you know if this is the deal for princeton comp lit, too? 

It seems that so far UPenn has done interviews, though it's unclear if they have sent out rejections yet, same hat with Princeton. Brown has conducted interviews but has actually sent out some rejections. 

I haven't heard anything at all. I was actually surprised to hear that interviews were already happening. I am very close to a core faculty member at my institution's English department (which I didn't apply to) and they say there's still a lot to be done before decisions of any kind are sent out.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:31 PM, bootscootinboogie17 said:

fwiw - seems like UPenn goes thru a very similar process! last year decisions came out the last week of february after two rounds of interviews the last week of jan and first week of feb 

Would you say then if I didn't get an interview invite for UPenn yet then I should prepare for a rejection? Stressed as this was one of my top choices, but this application season is tough.

3 minutes ago, stressed_applicant said:

Would you say then if I didn't get an interview invite for UPenn yet then I should prepare for a rejection? Stressed as this was one of my top choices, but this application season is tough.

I wish I knew for sure! It appears that way, but never say never. I've got a long string of rejections too of late including, apparently, Davis :( Wishing the best outcomes for you!

Today I got another rejection (well, I was referred to the masters program, which I can't afford) and then I saw an acceptance go out for my undergrad university (Cornell University) in the media studies program I applied to. I applied to 10 programs, which seemed like a lot at the time as I am working full time, but as I've gotten 3 rejections now and no interview invites, it's hard to stay positive. I applied to a mix of Media Studies, Comp Lit and English programs, which maybe wasn't the best idea. 

If worse comes to worst, then I'll reapply, but it's going to be so hard to pick myself up again after this. 6 more programs to hear from still, but I'm anticipating rejection as it's been so selective this year. I'm thankful for all the support after lurking on here though and being able to see when acceptances are posted. Fingers crossed for everyone else who is still waiting to hear back- it's really tough!

3 minutes ago, bootscootinboogie17 said:

I wish I knew for sure! It appears that way, but never say never. I've got a long string of rejections too of late including, apparently, Davis :( Wishing the best outcomes for you!

Thanks- I kind of am assuming this. And same here! :( It's been tough this year for sure. I hope you hear something good soon too!