MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 2/9/2023 at 2:16 PM, paul123 said:

Has anybody heard from either Bard or the SAIC Low Residency program? (I know that the other SAIC programs reached out about interviews.)

I got my SAIC Low Res MFA acceptance letter through email on 2/17 (letter dated 2/10). They didn’t ask me for an interview but it said I was admitted and gave instructions on the next steps. I was a bit unsure when I received it; I couldn’t find in their website if Low Res does not require interviews which led me to this forum. Also no merit scholarships offer (yet — though I think they usually offer that straight up in the admission letter), so I am waiting on FAFSA offer and will inquire on other possible financing/scholarships to help me consider if I’d do it.

No word on Bard yet. Applied for Film/Video.  

Hi!!! Has anyone heard from Cornell? I applied in sculpture and am so nervous cus it’s been crickets

heres what I’ve heard back so far

yale: rejected (figured)

risd: ask to interview and interviewed last week

rutgers: asked to interview and will be attending the in person interview day on the 24th

On 2/17/2023 at 8:24 PM, paul123 said:

Just got an email from SAIC saying I was admitted to the Low Residency MFA! Which was quite the surprise because I was never interviewed. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Did anyone else have that experience? 

Yay congrats! Same here. Suprised there’s no interview. I guess it depends per program. 

1 hour ago, Mutya said:

Yay congrats! Same here. Suprised there’s no interview. I guess it depends per program. 

Yeah! It was strange, but I'm glad to hear someone else is in the same boat. I also got an email on the 17th, dated the 10th. Are you going to any of the admitted student events? 

I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out what the deal with the financial aid is. I didn't see a merit scholarship letter in my admitted students portal, and the financial aid numbers make absolutely no sense, so I'm hoping for some clarity. I'll let you know if I find out anything. 

17 minutes ago, paul123 said:

Yeah! It was strange, but I'm glad to hear someone else is in the same boat. I also got an email on the 17th, dated the 10th. Are you going to any of the admitted student events? 

I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out what the deal with the financial aid is. I didn't see a merit scholarship letter in my admitted students portal, and the financial aid numbers make absolutely no sense, so I'm hoping for some clarity. I'll let you know if I find out anything. 

I initially just submitted 2023-2024 FAFSA and didn’t realize I should’ve done 2022-2023 too for the Summer 2023 (mainly for SAIC and Bard — the other low-res MFAs I am applying for start in Fall). So I just submitted the FAFSA 22-23 this weekend. My financial aid award for 23-24 doesn’t show any offer/details yet, but it shows up in the admitted student acct. Hopefully they get processed soon so I know how the offer looks like. Though from what you said your financial aid offer doesn’t make sense? Do you mind sharing more about that? 

I’m glad we’re on the same boat too. And thanks for your update about Bard, I’ll look out for their email this coming week. Crossing fingers for both of us. 

Edited by Mutya
Lacking words, typo

2 minutes ago, Mutya said:

I initially just submitted 2023-2024 FAFSA and didn’t realize I should’ve done 2022-2023 too for the Summer 2023 (mainly for SAIC and Bard — the other low-res MFAs I am applying for start in Fall). So I just submitted the FAFSA 22-23 this weekend. My financial aid award for 23-24 doesn’t show anything yet, but it shows up in the admitted student acct. Hopefully they get processed soon so I know how the offer looks like. Though from what you said your financial aid offer does make sense? Do you mind sharing more about that? 

I’m glad we’re on the same boat too. And thanks for your update about Bard, I’ll look out for their email this coming week. Crossing fingers for both of us. 

No mine doesn't make any sense at all. I didn't realize I had to submit anything other than what I did for all the other schools. How does one do that?

2 minutes ago, paul123 said:

No mine doesn't make any sense at all. I didn't realize I had to submit anything other than what I did for all the other schools. How does one do that?

Oops I had typo and edited my reply. But yes, I got that you it seems your offer doesn’t make sense for you. Do you mind elaborating or sharing what it says? 

For FAFSA, I think as long as you put the name of all the schools you’re planning to attend in the application, you should be fine. Then when it gets processed, each school will get the information and will give you offer based on the available aid and school cost. Unless you’re referring to another process SAIC is asking you to do. 

Good luck on your interviews everyone!

this is my third time applying to MFAs

In 2021 I got offers at SAIC (post bac w 50% scholarship) TUFTS (MFA w 50%scholarship) SVA (MFA w 50% scholarship) rejected by UCLA, UCL, Goldsmiths and Yale, and waitlisted at Columbia.

What I learned is ALWAYS negotiate your scholarship. I started with 20% with most schools.

Second year I retained my offers at SVA and SAIC, got an offer at NYAA with 30% scholarship and got rejected by Yale and Columbia.

This year I have only applied to Columbia and UCL. I assume Columbia's a no go because I have not heard from them, but I have an interview with UCL tomorrow which I am excited/nervous about.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, Gaara said:

Hiii, 

This forum definitely is sparse, will probably become more frequent closer to deadlines and interviews. Would love for the lurkers to create accounts and say anything lol...probably over 1,000 people applying to MFA programs but less than 10 people in this forum haha. For all my lurkers out there, I was once a lurker too, it is completely free to make an account and takes 2 seconds, and everything is anonymous. You aren't alone in this stressful process, we want ya'll in here too. 

But anyways, i know a lot of good MFA programs for painting+drawing that are fully funded and give good stipend. It is hard for me to suggest a school because a lot goes into finding the best fit for you. Like location, what you plan on pursuing after grad school, if professors artwork connects to you, if previous students work connects to you, etc. I suggest just doing a lot of research and figuring out what programs are best for you. UC Davis MFA program is slept on though. 

I ended up making an account because of your comment, so thanks for the encouragement! I graduated last year with a BA in Communications and decided to take a few years off before seeking out a grad program. And since this is my first post, I guess I should provide an introduction of some sort…

So hello, kind humans. I’m currently an English teacher in Tokyo but I’m planning on applying to a few grad programs to pursue an MFA in 2024. I’m currently banking on Boston University(Visual Narrative or Graphic Design), MassArt(2D Fine Arts), Tufts SMFA(Graphic Arts), and UMass Amherst(Studio Arts). I still have until this winter before I need to submit any apps or portfolios, but it’s nice to read your comments~✨

Manifesting the best results for everyone?

18 hours ago, PlzTakeME said:

What I learned is ALWAYS negotiate your scholarship. I started with 20% with most schools.

Can I ask how you actually do this? Like what kind of things do I... say? How does one negotiate a scholarship?

I have my Yale Sculpture interview on Wednesday if anyone has any tips!

I had my SAIC interview but no word back yet, and still haven't heard anything from Cranbrook.

I see some people have been accepted to sculpture at Cranbrook already so I guess that's a big :( from me

1 hour ago, Gkrenz said:

I have my Yale Sculpture interview on Wednesday if anyone has any tips!

I had my SAIC interview but no word back yet, and still haven't heard anything from Cranbrook.

I see some people have been accepted to sculpture at Cranbrook already so I guess that's a big :( from me

I read on last year forum that SAIC result came sometimes between 24-27 February.

I have interview at Yale Painting/Printmaking tomorrow as well, so nervous. T__T 

Just now, lebleu said:

I read on last year forum that SAIC result came sometimes between 24-27 February.

I have interview at Yale Painting/Printmaking tomorrow as well, so nervous. T__T 

Congratulations on your interviews! We will survive, I promise. 

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm at 10:10 Wednesday so I'll be jacked up on caffeine and ready to go a couple hours in advance

Just finished my UCL interview. 10 mins of presenting my work, 5 mins of their questions (why the Slade, what direction do you see your work going and what are you going to continue to explore, how will the MFA benefit you) and then 5 mins of my questions

1 hour ago, Gkrenz said:

Can I ask how you actually do this? Like what kind of things do I... say? How does one negotiate a scholarship?

At the time I really had no ability to finance the program, so I told them that Im very grateful for their scholarship offer but it really isnt possible for me to commit to their program with only 20%, and if it's possible to at least get 50 percent. Or if there are any emergency grants or funds available to me. I was firm and respectful. Really its just about asking!

1 minute ago, PlzTakeME said:

At the time I really had no ability to finance the program, so I told them that Im very grateful for their scholarship offer but it really isnt possible for me to commit to their program with only 20%, and if it's possible to at least get 50 percent. Or if there are any emergency grants or funds available to me. I was firm and respectful. Really its just about asking!

Thanks for the advice!

I applied for MFA (Graphic Design) at CalArts, CCA, and ArtCenter. Currently, I’ve already done interviewing with CalArts and CCA. However, I haven’t heard a word from ArtCenter about the interview yet. TT^TT

Anyone get any mail or messages from ArtCenter about the interview yet? 

1 hour ago, AcceptMePlz said:

I applied for MFA (Graphic Design) at CalArts, CCA, and ArtCenter. Currently, I’ve already done interviewing with CalArts and CCA. However, I haven’t heard a word from ArtCenter about the interview yet. TT^TT

I applied but have not heard anything either!

1 hour ago, AcceptMePlz said:

My interview with ArtCenter will be on this Friday.

Not sure if anyone else has applied here or not, but I got an email to do a 15-minute informal interview this afternoon with Washington University in St. Louis for their MFA visual arts program. Would be interested to hear if anyone has any insights or opinions on this program as well.