MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

had my graphic design interviews with vcu (on saturday) and yale (monday), went pretty good. they all were really nice, both had 4 people from the faculty. vcu had 2 students and 2 professors, yale had 4 professors. we discussed my work, they asked questions about why yale/vcu? why now? why graphic design grad program, and not a design agency? (*i'm an industrial design major*). i asked some questions as well and total duration was ≈40 min for each interview. 

good luck to everyone with their interviews! ❤️ if you already had them, how did yours go?

50 minutes ago, simulation said:

had my graphic design interviews with vcu (on saturday) and yale (monday), went pretty good. they all were really nice, both had 4 people from the faculty. vcu had 2 students and 2 professors, yale had 4 professors. we discussed my work, they asked questions about why yale/vcu? why now? why graphic design grad program, and not a design agency? (*i'm an industrial design major*). i asked some questions as well and total duration was ≈40 min for each interview. 

good luck to everyone with their interviews! ❤️ if you already had them, how did yours go?

I also had my VCU interview on Saturday for Graphic Design. It was quite fun, actually! What is your impression of the department after the interview? And where else have you applied?

Been lurking this whole time and am very appreciative of all that everyone has shared! This is my first application cycle, and while so far I've been rejected from 2/4 programs and am expecting a third, I was kind of anticipating that to begin with! Congrats to everyone else on interviews and acceptances, though! 

I'm mostly posting to ask if anyone has heard from UGA? I had seen some people posting rejection news a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything in either direction. My app status is still "awaiting decision" which feels like a false hope at this point. ? I would love to just rip off this last rejection bandaid lol!

Has anyone had contact from Tyler (Temple) printmaking or Columbia printmaking departments?

I applied to Cranbrook (Print Media), Columbia, and Temple. Quickly had contact from Cranbrook to set up an interview. Interview was wonderful, and I feel excited about Cranbrook. But I'm anxious to hear from Columbia and Temple - crickets. Nothing has changed on the portals. No email. 

It seems other departments at Temple and Columbia have started interviewing and accepting, but nothing specific for the printmaking programs. 

21 minutes ago, ArtCloset said:

Has anyone had contact from Tyler (Temple) printmaking or Columbia printmaking departments?

I applied to Cranbrook (Print Media), Columbia, and Temple. Quickly had contact from Cranbrook to set up an interview. Interview was wonderful, and I feel excited about Cranbrook. But I'm anxious to hear from Columbia and Temple - crickets. Nothing has changed on the portals. No email. 

It seems other departments at Temple and Columbia have started interviewing and accepting, but nothing specific for the printmaking programs. 

I applied for Columbia printmaking but haven't heard back yet. (Heard through the grapevine that the only full ride tuition scholarship for there is given to a printmaking major only.)

40 minutes ago, poppingballoons said:

Im basically assuming Im out of the race this year but has anyone heard anything from 2-year RISD graphic design? or pratt visual communication? 

I haven't heard from either so maybe we're not out of the race yet. I'm not particularly hopefully but based on past years Pratt seems to take more time. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, calipainter said:

Hello! Been lurking, and hadn't seen someone update on UCLA Painting/Drawing. Anyone gotten an interview? I've heard someone got an interview request from UCLA ceramics

In this forum someone was invited to interview with UCLA for Interdisciplinary Studio(ID) on Feb. 14th. Someone else also claimed UCLA did interviews around the last week of January/first week of February. 

UCLA seems to prioritize ID because of Andrea Fraser so I'm not surprised someone heard back from them for that area of concentration. But how did you find out someone was invited to interview for ceramics? 

I also applied to UCLA for Painting/Drawing and I'm getting the vibe that it's going to be one of those years where they drag this out until mid-March....in past forums I've seen people saying they've heard nothing from UCLA around April 

42 minutes ago, Gaara said:

In this forum someone was invited to interview with UCLA for Interdisciplinary Studio(ID) on Feb. 14th. Someone else also claimed UCLA did interviews around the last week of January/first week of February. 

UCLA seems to prioritize ID because of Andrea Fraser so I'm not surprised someone heard back from them for that area of concentration. But how did you find out someone was invited to interview for ceramics? 

I also applied to UCLA for Painting/Drawing and I'm getting the vibe that it's going to be one of those years where they drag this out until mid-March....in past forums I've seen people saying they've heard nothing from UCLA around April 

Oh wow! I hope it’s not dragged out that late ?

I had seen the ID mention on here, the ceramics one was a friend of a friend. I mentioned I hadn’t heard anything, and he checked with his friend who’d applied in ceramics and had an interview scheduled this week.

9 minutes ago, calipainter said:

Oh wow! I hope it’s not dragged out that late ?

I had seen the ID mention on here, the ceramics one was a friend of a friend. I mentioned I hadn’t heard anything, and he checked with his friend who’d applied in ceramics and had an interview scheduled this week.

Wow that's interesting, thanks for adding that info to this forum! I hope that isn't the case either, hopefully we hear back this week. Looks like they are getting back to everyone except us Painting & Drawing applicants ?

If I was ID or ceramics at least I would know I wasn't chosen, the fact that no one has heard back for Painting & Drawing is giving me false hope lol 

6 hours ago, risaurus said:

I also had my VCU interview on Saturday for Graphic Design. It was quite fun, actually! What is your impression of the department after the interview? And where else have you applied?

i only applied to these two in the us, i'm also applying to some schools in europe as well. i think the department gave a warm impression, the people were really nice and comforting. 

45 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Wow that's interesting, thanks for adding that info to this forum! I hope that isn't the case either, hopefully we hear back this week. Looks like they are getting back to everyone except us Painting & Drawing applicants ?

If I was ID or ceramics at least I would know I wasn't chosen, the fact that no one has heard back for Painting & Drawing is giving me false hope lol 

I applied to UCLA New Genres and haven't heard either.

6 hours ago, ArtCloset said:

I’d really love to hear you elaborate on what excited you about Cranbrook, if you’re comfortable doing that?

**** goes back to blankly staring at the wall  until someone sends me an acceptance ****

My updates as of 2/21 

Indiana Bloomington: Accepted (22k stipend, full tuition & fee remission, full health coverage)

Minnesota- Twin Cities: Accepted (roughly 20k stipend, tuition remission, health care mostly subsidized)

Oregon: Waitlisted

Tennessee- Knoxville: Waitlisted

UW Madison- Rejected :(

UGA- Interview coming up on Friday

Arkansas- Interview requested on 2/19

Iowa- Rejected I guess? I know folks were admitted already, but I didn't receive a rejection letter yet

Edit: emailed Iowa because I was paranoid maybe my app wasn't complete and the graduate program coordinator replied that faculty are still reviewing printmaking applicants which is why I hadn't heard back. Confused by this since I know folks already interviewed/were accepted but I guess its not over till its over LMAO

Edited by h3249r

20 minutes ago, h3249r said:

My updates as of 2/21 

Indiana Bloomington: Accepted (22k stipend, full tuition & fee remission, full health coverage)

Minnesota- Twin Cities: Accepted (roughly 20k stipend, tuition remission, health care mostly subsidized)

Oregon: Waitlisted

Tennessee- Knoxville: Waitlisted

UW Madison- Rejected :(

UGA- Interview coming up on Friday

Arkansas- Interview requested on 2/19

Iowa- Rejected I guess? I know folks were admitted already, but I didn't receive a rejection letter yet

Congratulations! These are great results with very good stipend ?

I wonder why U of O hasn't sent my rejection letter yet. If they have notified accepted and waitlisted applicants, why not notify the people rejected too....instead of having us hopelessly refresh our emails all day long ?LOL

28 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Congratulations! These are great results with very good stipend ?

I wonder why U of O hasn't sent my rejection letter yet. If they have notified accepted and waitlisted applicants, why not notify the people rejected too....instead of having us hopelessly refresh our emails all day long ?LOL

Thank you! It's definitely hard to see myself turning down Indiana's offer with that funding package!

U of O just notified me of my waitlist status yesterday via email so I'm guessing they haven't sent out official decision letters yet. Not sure though! I definitely agree that schools could be more considerate of their applicants. We all spent a lot of time and money applying & honestly shouldn't even have to post on here in order to figure out what's actually going on LOL. All things for us who may end up as faculty to keep in mind for the future I guess ?‍♀️

I hope you get some answers soon!!!

2 minutes ago, h3249r said:

Thank you! It's definitely hard to see myself turning down Indiana's offer with that funding package!

U of O just notified me of my waitlist status yesterday via email so I'm guessing they haven't sent out official decision letters yet. Not sure though! I definitely agree that schools could be more considerate of their applicants. We all spent a lot of time and money applying & honestly shouldn't even have to post on here in order to figure out what's actually going on LOL. All things for us who may end up as faculty to keep in mind for the future I guess ?‍♀️

I hope you get some answers soon!!!

Yeah that offer is amazing, I'm glad more and more artists are applying to fully funded programs. Shouldn't be going in debt over an MFA....we should be getting paid! 

Exactly!!! Hope we all get some answers soon ?

3 hours ago, E_b said:

I’d really love to hear you elaborate on what excited you about Cranbrook, if you’re comfortable doing that?

**** goes back to blankly staring at the wall  until someone sends me an acceptance ****

Well, for starters I'm excited that they (Cranbrook) made quick contact and didn't make me wait around, considering how much planning is required when moving one's life across the country. Love that.

Most of what I like about the program is pretty specific to my needs. The print media program emphasizes interdisciplinary, cross studio work which is what i'm looking for. 

And the environment encourages extreme studio focus with its isolated campus.

The dept heads were super friendly and seemed genuine, kind, and like they spent time with my application. Seemed like they value their students and the success of their program. 

Edited by ArtCloset

20 hours ago, Gaara said:

Yeah I’m not super hopeful lol but I would like to know for sure! ?

16 hours ago, ArtCloset said:

Well, for starters I'm excited that they (Cranbrook) made quick contact and didn't make me wait around, considering how much planning is required when moving one's life across the country. Love that.

Most of what I like about the program is pretty specific to my needs. The print media program emphasizes interdisciplinary, cross studio work which is what i'm looking for. 

And the environment encourages extreme studio focus with its isolated campus.

The dept heads were super friendly and seemed genuine, kind, and like they spent time with my application. Seemed like they value their students and the success of their program. 

Hey, really appreciate it. I found out of my three school interviews Cranbrook felt the hardest for me to get a complete read on. I guess because it was a longer more in depth interview but very chill. 

The super short other interview I had, I'm already familiar with one of the faculty through mutual connections so I had a sense outside of that of the education I’d be getting. 

Well guys! I just called up Columbia Visual Arts and it looks like the first round of interviews already have been completed for printmaking (and others I assume).

If you didn't hear from them then you were rejected.

Final admission e-mails will be sent out late March.

In any case, now that leaves UCLA which I need to call up now. :)

1 hour ago, E_b said:

Hey, really appreciate it. I found out of my three school interviews Cranbrook felt the hardest for me to get a complete read on. I guess because it was a longer more in depth interview but very chill. 

The super short other interview I had, I'm already familiar with one of the faculty through mutual connections so I had a sense outside of that of the education I’d be getting. 

Damn, guess I’m not going to Cranbrook lol. No interview set up from then. Bummer.