JD vs. MPP in Canada

Hull3915

Hi, I am a new user to this forum. I'm currently in undergrad, graduating soon in poli sci. I have a 168 LSAT and good gpa (like 87%, which changes depending on what scale you use). I've looked through this forum for similar posts and found some that were useful, but I figured it may be useful just to put my specific case on here.

I'm Asian, so once I decided to switch into poli sci I was all but set on law school, hence me doing the LSAT. However, this summer I got a student policy job with the Ontario government, and I'm enjoying it. The work isn't too taxing, is interesting, and I like my coworkers. Plus I work from home. However, I'm aware that part of my enjoyment is that I don't actually have to work that hard, and I think if I pursue policy I'll need to grind for a few years before I can be making 6 figures.

What matters to me most is:
1. Making good money (eventually over 6 figures within 10 years ideally. Does not need to be anything crazy).
2. Good work-life balance. I don't expect to love what I do, but I'd like to not have to work more than 40 hrs a week too often, and I'd like to not hate what I do all day.

I have no experience with law outside of a few uni courses, and I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the field.

Has anyone ever been in this situation before, and what did you do? I think there is no clear choice here. I'm leaning towards a masters, but I'll admit it seems a bit more uncertain than the flexibility a JD may provide me.

Do Carleton's MPPA program. With your GPA and work experience - I'd be surprised if you didn't get a fully-funded or close to fully-funded offer. You can easily achieve the 6 figure salary and have a work-life balance in government, whether federal or provincial. 

Lawyers dont make that much money, aside from a few select areas of law and firms, which is where people have no work-life balance. Getting an MPA/MPPA is more or less a sure way into government.

If you have questions feel free to message me. I completed Carleton's MPPA program this year with a more than fully-funded offer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 3:14 AM, BTF said:

Do Carleton's MPPA program. With your GPA and work experience - I'd be surprised if you didn't get a fully-funded or close to fully-funded offer. You can easily achieve the 6 figure salary and have a work-life balance in government, whether federal or provincial. 

Lawyers dont make that much money, aside from a few select areas of law and firms, which is where people have no work-life balance. Getting an MPA/MPPA is more or less a sure way into government.

If you have questions feel free to message me. I completed Carleton's MPPA program this year with a more than fully-funded offer.

BTF knows his stuff. Solid advice. Top man.