MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

On 2/20/2023 at 5:44 PM, hopeful2024 said:

no problem! a thought just occurred to me - maybe because you’ve submitted applications previous years they aren’t sending out new JoinIDs and you are expected to continue using the same ACORN portal? (this is my first year applying to UofT)

Did you ever get to the bottom of this or receive your JoinID? I'm worried because I didn't receive anything with information pertaining to a JoinID/ACORN. I have applied once previously and tried that log in with no luck.

On 2/14/2023 at 6:08 PM, appamomo said:

Hello! I was accepted for McMaster's Critical Analysis program at the start of February. I was told I would receive an official letter via email within 5-7 business days but I haven't gotten anything yet. Has anyone been sent an official letter yet? 

Hey, I am not sure if you have heard anything after. I received an official offer on Feb 22nd and was contacted by Darlene on Feb 14th with the same message! Congrats!

8 minutes ago, dardykat said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this or receive your JoinID? I'm worried because I didn't receive anything with information pertaining to a JoinID/ACORN. I have applied once previously and tried that log in with no luck.

I actually received my JoinID in December - although a handful of people in this forum I saw had not yet. I wouldn't worry too much about it as it's likely an administrative issue and for previous UofT applicants, the system might have gotten confused on whether or not to issue them. the final decisions letter will ultimately come through the SGS portal so don't worry about it affecting your application status as your application is not reliant on information in ACORN ! I would touch base with Angela if you want to double check though and for peace of mind, she's typically quite responsive 🙂

Edited by hopeful2024

Hi all,

Got an update from Acorn for UofT's advanced standing. I have an invitation and I paid the deposit, but it still doesn't feel like I got in! I'm still waiting for a confirmation letter or admission decision email or SGS update before I say I'm for sure-for sure admitted. I applied for the Gerontology stream, and my last name begins with R.

I'm waiting to hear back from McMaster now!

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 3.11.51 PM.png

36 minutes ago, Siofra said:

Hi all,

Got an update from Acorn for UofT's advanced standing. I have an invitation and I paid the deposit, but it still doesn't feel like I got in! I'm still waiting for a confirmation letter or admission decision email or SGS update before I say I'm for sure-for sure admitted. I applied for the Gerontology stream, and my last name begins with R.

I'm waiting to hear back from McMaster now!

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 3.11.51 PM.png

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking your gpa and experiences?

Hi everyone! I applied for the distance part time advance standing MSW Dalhousie. I got an email on February 6th saying that I got nominated for acceptance and that if my application is approved by the Dean, i will get an official letter through the mail. I've yet to receive it. I'm wondering if anyone that got that email is still waiting for their letters? 

2 hours ago, mswdalll said:

Hi everyone! I applied for the distance part time advance standing MSW Dalhousie. I got an email on February 6th saying that I got nominated for acceptance and that if my application is approved by the Dean, i will get an official letter through the mail. I've yet to receive it. I'm wondering if anyone that got that email is still waiting for their letters? 

Same same. Still waiting.

6 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

Thanks so much for sharing. I was going to apply to this program this year but didn’t have a professional reference at the time. Do you mind sharing your stats and experience with me? Want to gage what successful applicants have! 

I have collectively around 3400 hours of experience both volunteer and professional. I worked in a women’s shelter, with children and youth in schools, and as an intake social worker for a social service agency. I also volunteered throughout my BSW mostly for student mental health services on campus

My GPA is around a 3.0 

I sent in my application in January, it took around 2 months for me to get my results 

4 hours ago, mswdalll said:

Still waiting as well. Frustrating! Do you know what the registrar has to assess? I'm assuming its just verifying our credentials then we are good to go fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, hannahb1997 said:

Received my acceptance to Carleton's advanced standing msw earlier today! I'll wait for the other schools to see but it was my first choice so I think I will be accepting there. :)

Congratulations, love! :) 

7 hours ago, sworkerr said:

Hey, I am not sure if you have heard anything after. I received an official offer on Feb 22nd and was contacted by Darlene on Feb 14th with the same message! Congrats!

Hey, yes I got my offical letter on the 15! Congrats to you too!

Hi everyone! I received an offer to Carleton's 2-year MSW program on February 27th and just accepted it today. :) I was also offered an admission to Dalhousie (I was emailed their decision on February 6th and received an official offer letter on February 16th), but I declined in favour of the nice funding that Carleton gave me. I was honestly and pleasantly surprised to have a couple offers to choose from because I have major imposter syndrome and didn't think I would get in anywhere! 😅

U of T is my top choice so I will be eagerly waiting to hear back from them like many of the folks here. :)

7 hours ago, hannahb1997 said:

Received my acceptance to Carleton's advanced standing msw earlier today! I'll wait for the other schools to see but it was my first choice so I think I will be accepting there. :)

Congratulations dear🎊🎊🎊

1 hour ago, msw2023hopeful said:

Received my acceptance letter from Uoft yesterday March 1st! Got invited into the health & mental health stream which was quite surprising as I know its super sought after.

Still have to hear back from York and Toronto met aka ryerson but at this point I'm so over the moon I couldn't be bothered to keep looking!!

Hi! Did you get a written letter?

5 minutes ago, msw2023hopeful said:

I didn't! I got an email saying there was an update to my application on sgs and when I went to my current app, there was a pdf letter 

Congratulations!!! I’m hoping to get that update soon, my Acorn account has the charge and the program stating “invited”. 

11 minutes ago, msw2023hopeful said:

I didn't! I got an email saying there was an update to my application on sgs and when I went to my current app, there was a pdf letter 

Congrats! Thanks for sharing :) 

i got an invite on ACORN and am still waiting for that email stating my sgs portal has been updated. I know from applying previously that they go by last name when they send out those emails. Do you mind sharing what letter your last name begins with? I’m hoping to get that email soon to know which stream I was accepted into as my first choice was health and mental health! 

Congrats again! 

8 minutes ago, Happinessadvocate said:

Congratulations!!! I’m hoping to get that update soon, my Acorn account has the charge and the program stating “invited”. 

I'd imagine it would be quite soon if that's the case! I didn't keep tabs on my acorn until after the sgs update so I can't speak to the delay or timeline between the two :(

1 hour ago, msw2023hopeful said:

Received my acceptance letter from Uoft yesterday March 1st! Got invited into the health & mental health stream which was quite surprising as I know its super sought after.

Still have to hear back from York and Toronto met aka ryerson but at this point I'm so over the moon I couldn't be bothered to keep looking!!

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking your gpa and experiences?

Hi everyone!  Yesterday (March 1st) I noticed that I was accepted to UofT through Acorn (advanced-standing; Children and their Families stream; my last name is T).  Later in the evening, I received an email that my application on sgs was updated.  I logged in and it still says "submitted" as the status, but once I opened my application I noticed there was "Status Update: View Update" right above my address.  I almost missed it!  The letter was within the link afterwards.  Hope this helps anyone!