MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

8 hours ago, rmc123 said:

I'm waiting for this and their full time program... The full time states that they aim to release offers in March... but thats over in four days so who knows at this point! I think Laurier is generally the last to send out offers.

Lol, oh great, so we will be the last ones waiting! Ugh... Well good luck to you!

I also just got the official acceptance letter from the 2-year MSW at U of T (you get an email indicating there has been a 'change' to your application on the SGS portal, and you can view the letter there).. last name starts with C. 

Reposting the facebook group made for the 2023-2025 cohort, that was posted by someone else a few pages back: https://www.facebook.com/groups/595433832254424/ 

7 minutes ago, stressball101 said:

Just got waitlisted for the 2 year MSW at UofT. Not sure how I feel about this... 

you still have a shot at getting in which is good! Even though you did not get accepted immediately, being waitlisted tells you that your application is strong in the eyes of the admission committee! 😌

Everyone waitlisted at U of T. 

Mourn it. It's not an admission. That sucks. Give yourself time to process and grieve. Don't let them make you see yourself as a lesser person because of this.

Once you feel ready, get your backup plans started. U of T's unranked waitlist is garbage so you could be waiting forever. Just being honest, having been there twice. U of T is one of the best MSW schools so people pulling out is unlikely. Take the steps to strengthen your next application whether it be a new SW-type job, volunteering, or another program. Hell think of the next points you'll write about on your letter of intent. I've been there before. Don't wait for U Of T. 

Good luck. 

Hi everyone!

Congrats those that have gotten accepted and waitlisted and I hope everyone that did not get an offer takes care of themselves ❤ Everyone worked so hard and should be proud!

I was waitlisted at UofT but I'm curious if your program of specialization has any impact on being accepted/waitlisted? I applied to Human Services Management and Leadership and am selfishly hoping it was less competitive LOL

Edited by SCallaghan

Hey everyone! I received an offer to the advanced standing MSW program at Western/King's. In previous years, it always helped me when people would share their experience and stats so I thought i'd do the same ☺️:

• I completed my BSW with a 3.9 average on a 4.0 scale. I graduated in 2021.
  • I have a little over 5,000 hours of direct social work and human services experience (this also includes the practicums I completed for my bsw).
  • For the writing portion of the application I used a critical lens and also made my answers personable by sharing my experiences. I wrote succinctly, however, due to the world limits! 

Anyone who is waiting to hear back from any University, I wish you the best of luck! Also remember you are smart. You are worthy. You matter. A rejection does not mean you are less than or unworthy. It means those schools are missing out!

Fun fact: I was waitlisted for my bsw in 2019 and almost didn't get in. Bet on yourself ☺️

Edited by Happygal3

I applied to the MSW 1 year stream at Laurier, Western and Waterloo. I got rejected to Waterloo and waitlisted at Western. Wish I knew more about the waitlist thing. Still waiting on Laurier. Just learned about this forum! 

For folks who were accepted into UofT's two year program, feel free to join the facebook group!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/835529251063896

I was accepted last year and deferred a year - I started an FB group last year when I was accepted and it is super active and helpful (also an fb chat has been a great mode of communication for everyone).

The group is only for people who have already been accepted to the program. 

23 hours ago, matty16 said:

I GOT INTO THE 2-YEAR MSW AT UOFT 😭 I'll be crying all day. Third time applying and we finally got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, justoneofthem said:

I see the official acceptance letter on the application portal for UofT's 2 year MSW. 

Are you accepting the offer? Come to the fb group! 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/835529251063896

19 hours ago, SCallaghan said:

Hi everyone!

Congrats those that have gotten accepted and waitlisted and I hope everyone that did not get an offer takes care of themselves ❤ Everyone worked so hard and should be proud!

I was waitlisted at UofT but I'm curious if your program of specialization has any impact on being accepted/waitlisted? I applied to Human Services Management and Leadership and am selfishly hoping it was less competitive LOL

For the two year program, it doesnt matter at all - you don't actual choose a stream until second year. For the advanced program, I don't think it would make a huge difference but I am not sure.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight to this. I applied for several 2-year MSW programs, and the 1 year HBSW at Waterloo. I’ve been waitlisted at 2 MSW programs and accepted to the BSW program. I’m not too hopeful that I will get in to the MSW programs so I’m trying to decide what to do about the BSW program. My goal would be to get into an MSW program next year but I don’t know what’s my better option, do the BSW and then apply for advanced standing or to work and then apply to regular track again. Does anyone know typically, which track is easier to get into? For context, I have a 96% average, currently have about 1400 hours of social work experience (the BSW program would give me another 700), and personal statements and references are very strong. Basically my weak point is my hours so would it be easier with increased hours to get into the regular or advanced track program?

51 minutes ago, Liv987 said:

I was wondering if anyone has any insight to this. I applied for several 2-year MSW programs, and the 1 year HBSW at Waterloo. I’ve been waitlisted at 2 MSW programs and accepted to the BSW program. I’m not too hopeful that I will get in to the MSW programs so I’m trying to decide what to do about the BSW program. My goal would be to get into an MSW program next year but I don’t know what’s my better option, do the BSW and then apply for advanced standing or to work and then apply to regular track again. Does anyone know typically, which track is easier to get into? For context, I have a 96% average, currently have about 1400 hours of social work experience (the BSW program would give me another 700), and personal statements and references are very strong. Basically my weak point is my hours so would it be easier with increased hours to get into the regular or advanced track program?

Hey! I was actually in a similar situation as you when I was first contemplating getting my BSW or just applying to the two year MSW program. This is just my opinion and people may not agree with me but I think in your case you should not get a BSW and, instead,  take a year off to gain more human services/ social work experience. Your marks are amazing, the only thing that has probably prevented you from getting into your MSW is your experience. I would say 4,000 hours and up is usually more competitive (combined human service i.e. camp counselling, mental health hotline; and combined direct social work i.e. counselling, working at a homeless shelter, etc.). If you don't have your BSW it's hard to get a direct social work job but certainly not impossible you could work full time at a homeless shelter or at a community centre and rack up those hours. 

My experience with my BSW was not the best. The BSW actually brought down my average and it was extremely stressful for me. And your BSW average will likely take precedence over what you have now. 96% average is insane and really hard to duplicate in the BSW. I was getting high 90s in my university courses but dropped to mid 80's in my BSW. Honestly, you seem like a super strong candidate. If i were you, I would apply to the CMHA support line for volunteering to get some hours and then work full time in a social work related job (cross cultural centre, community centre, homeless shelter, non for profit organization, swis worker, etc.). Once you accumulate those hours, I think you will be highly competitive. Not to mention, the BSW is two years which is a lot of time and commitment. You'll be busy completing school work and writing long essays (eek i hate long essays lol). 

The extra practicum hours won't matter if you take a year off and work full time (as you'll accumulate more hours than in your BSW). 

What i've heard is that the regular track and advanced standing MSWs are pretty even in terms of level of difficulty to get in. I know a number of friends who have been rejected to multiple schools post BSW.

The benefit of the BSW of course is that you can actually start practicing as a social worker and get direct social work experience. But because your marks are already so high I honestly believe you're a shoo in to get into your MSW once you increase your experience. So I would just focus on gaining those hours this year.

Sorry for the long reply, I hope this helps!

Edited by mswgal3

57 minutes ago, Liv987 said:

Hello! 

I can only speak from the experience of applying to masters programs from advanced standing. I am completing my 1 year hbsw at Lakehead and received an acceptance to Lakehead's MSW as well as TMU and Carleton. 

I applied to 2 year MSW's for 2022-2023 and got rejected with 3000 hours experience and 92% average in a psych undergrad. However I got into Lakehead's hbsw and took that route. From those I met in the program, it seemed that people use the hbsw programs as a backup to help them get into masters programs. 

From my understanding, regular track (2 year) msw programs are typically harder to get into. Carleton usually gets 80-90 applications for advanced standing, whereas they get 160-180 for 2 year. For UofT, as far as I'm aware, they have significantly more applications for the 2 year than the 1 year (from what I've seen in discussions on the forums). 

I got accepted to 3 MSW programs with a low to mid 80 average. I increased my amount of SW related hours through my placement, as well as volunteering and summer jobs. What I really think helped me get in was a strong and personal application essay, paired with professor recommendations who knew me very well from my time at Lakehead, and the fact I was applying to advanced standing MSW's at schools that were less competitive than their 2 year programs.