MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

1 hour ago, YuChen said:

Hey guys, I received the offer from UBCO earlier today and also received a rejection letter from Carleton.
Still waiting to hear from WLU and UoM! All the best to everyone 😉🥳

Congratulations on your acceptance, but I'm sorry you got rejected from Carleton! I haven't heard back from them yet. Would you mind if I ask what letter your last name starts with?

I hope you get good news from WLU and UoM :) 

15 minutes ago, jmcinn97 said:

Congratulations on your acceptance, but I'm sorry you got rejected from Carleton! I haven't heard back from them yet. Would you mind if I ask what letter your last name starts with?

I hope you get good news from WLU and UoM :) 

Thank you! 
My last name initial is C, so I think if they send the notifications in alphabetical order I should be one of the first people to receive them.

FYI, until I received the rejection email, my application status kept showing "recommend for assessment" instead of changing to "review in progress", which is probably a sign of being rejected (I guess).
Hope you can get satisfactory results 🥰

2 minutes ago, YuChen said:

Thank you! 
My last name initial is C, so I think if they send the notifications in alphabetical order I should be one of the first people to receive them.

FYI, until I received the rejection email, my application status kept showing "recommend for assessment" instead of changing to "review in progress", which is probably a sign of being rejected (I guess).
Hope you can get satisfactory results 🥰

You’re welcome!

My application status still says ‘recommended for assessment’ and I’ve honestly taken it as a sign that I’ll be waitlisted or rejected. I’m also waiting to hear back from WLU; but at this point whatever happens, happens! I’ve got a couple backup plans just in case :)

I appreciate your well wishes 💕

Hi all! I applied to advanced standing (1 year) MSW programs at UoT and UBC-O.

I got my acceptance into UoT Health and Mental Health stream recently but I'm waiting to hear back from UBC-O as it's my first choice. My application still only says "submitted" but I had been having CWL portal issues. I'm crossing my fingers!

For those lurking, my first bachelor's was really subpar, a degree in Psychology with a 2.9 GPA. However, I redeemed myself by completing Lakehead's HBSW program with 89%. At the time of application, I had 3600 hours of paid professional experience and 1000 hours of unpaid professional experience. My roles were community support worker serving LGBTQ refugee and immigrants, as well as community support worker serving sex workers and people who are houseless. In my applications, I emphasized my passion for community organizations and social justice.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear about applications!

Edited by itswingless

Hello everyone! Congrats on your acceptances! :) 

I got a status update yesterday informing me that I was waitlisted at UofT for the full-time advanced standing program. I applied to Health/Mental Health and Children/Families. It hurts really hard not being accepted and I am trying not to lose hope. 

Does anyone know the approximate timeline for when people on the waitlist will hear back? Do many people even decline their offers?  I am far from Toronto and am considering housing options downtown. Knowing an estimate of when I will hear back would be extremely helpful due to the fact that I would need to find housing. Do you know if it often takes until September to hear back?

41 minutes ago, maddsxoo said:

Hello everyone! Congrats on your acceptances! :) 

I got a status update yesterday informing me that I was waitlisted at UofT for the full-time advanced standing program. I applied to Health/Mental Health and Children/Families. It hurts really hard not being accepted and I am trying not to lose hope. 

Does anyone know the approximate timeline for when people on the waitlist will hear back? Do many people even decline their offers?  I am far from Toronto and am considering housing options downtown. Knowing an estimate of when I will hear back would be extremely helpful due to the fact that I would need to find housing. Do you know if it often takes until September to hear back?

The deposit for accepting your invite is due June 1st, so people will likely be declining up until that point. Once deposits are paid I suspect not many people would decline (with the exception of people who are picked from the wait list from the initial wave).

Once all universities release their invites, I suspect there will be some movement on the wait list. Most unis only provide a couple weeks to respond, so people will be making decisions sooner rather than later.

14 minutes ago, sworkerr said:

The deposit for accepting your invite is due June 1st, so people will likely be declining up until that point. Once deposits are paid I suspect not many people would decline (with the exception of people who are picked from the wait list from the initial wave).

Once all universities release their invites, I suspect there will be some movement on the wait list. Most unis only provide a couple weeks to respond, so people will be making decisions sooner rather than later.

Thank you so much! What do you mean by those picking from the initial wave? Do they pick people from the waitlist regardless of other individuals withdrawing?

Edited by maddsxoo

1 minute ago, maddsxoo said:

Thank you so much! What do you mean by those picking from the initial wave? Do they pick people from the waitlist regardless of other individuals withdrawing?

No, I just meant that if people currently on the waitlist decline in June, they may go back to the waitlist and offer it to the next people.

1 hour ago, sworkerr said:

The deposit is due March 22nd for advance standing 

Does anyone who applied to the online Windsor Working Professionals program know how long it takes to hear back after it says "in process"? I have been having a lot of issues with the EGAS portal.

Edited by pmswtime

31 minutes ago, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

U of T regular track...

Has anyone heard back? I'm only seeing things for Advanced Standing and I'm checking if I missed something. 

I called them a few days ago and they said regular track won’t hear anything until mid-April

Hello everyone! 

So exciting everyone is hearing back! 

Contributing to everyone saying where they applied and got accepted. I applied to the advanced standing at Carleton, Waterloo, Western, York, TMU, and Toronto. I got waitlisted at Waterloo, rejected from Carleton, and ACCEPTED at Toronto for the Children and their Families stream. I am thrilled and going to be accepted that offer. Toronto was my top pick so i truly don’t care what the other 3 schools say now! 

Wish everyone the best of luck! If this is your first year applying to give up applying again, this is my third year applying to school and I have 15,000 hours of experience and a 94 average in my BSW. Keep updating your resume, get a lot of people to proof read your letters, and really really really consider your reference options. You all got this! 

Edited by lexiesanxious

Got rejected from Carleton today (foundation/2yr track) but it looks like I should be expecting an offer letter from UVic soon! I did apply with less experience hours than Carleton wanted though so no big deal. 

Just out of curiosity - for those attending full time programs, are you expecting to work/TA/RA? 

1 hour ago, Evs22 said:

Got rejected from Carleton today (foundation/2yr track) but it looks like I should be expecting an offer letter from UVic soon! I did apply with less experience hours than Carleton wanted though so no big deal. 

Just out of curiosity - for those attending full time programs, are you expecting to work/TA/RA? 

Congratulations on your likely acceptance to uVic! I considered applying there, but maybe next year if I don’t get in anywhere this year haha. 😅

Sorry about the rejection to Carleton, though. Had your application status changed before you got your rejection? 👀

Just now, jmcinn97 said:

Congratulations on your likely acceptance to uVic! I considered applying there, but maybe next year if I don’t get in anywhere this year haha. 😅

Sorry about the rejection to Carleton, though. Had your application status changed before you got your rejection? 👀

I had checked it this morning & had no changes but that would have been a few hours before I received the rejection email - my last name begins with O, if that is helpful?? 

And good luck with your applications!

20 hours ago, Liv987 said:

I called them a few days ago and they said regular track won’t hear anything until mid-April

I wonder if what they meant was that all decisions will be communicated by mid-April? Or at least I hope so lol. Mid-April just seems too brutal considering they were on-time releasing the advanced standing decisions