2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

After Chicago rejected me for their PhD in Sociology, they just emailed with an offer to their MA in Social Sciences with a scholarship of 20, 000 USD. Really not sure how to feel about this

6 hours ago, blerggggg said:

Know Michigan Sociology decisions have been out for awhile... but is anyone else waiting to hear back from Michigan's PhD in Public Policy and Sociology? It's the last school I have to hear back from.

They're one of my last programs to hear back from too! Hoping they release decisions soon!

did anyone go to the UF prospective graduate student day yesterday? in the name of being radically honest, i was not impressed at all... it was run very poorly, and some of what the current graduate students were saying was very alarming... ended up pulling my application

edit: also pulled it because the overseer of the event basically crapped on the field of sociology in something she said, which off put me a looot

Edited by ohnoherewegoagain

On 3/3/2023 at 5:05 AM, ayitao said:

After Chicago rejected me for their PhD in Sociology, they just emailed with an offer to their MA in Social Sciences with a scholarship of 20, 000 USD. Really not sure how to feel about this

One of my alumni also started her career with MA in Social Science in Chicago. After graduate the MA, she got into the Ph.D. program in sociology directly. It totally depends on how well you shape meaningful relationships with professors in sociology. Although nothing is assured, I think it can be an option.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:21 PM, zh_awk said:

They're one of my last programs to hear back from too! Hoping they release decisions soon!

I caved and called the program coordinator today. She said that decisions would be released in the next two to three weeks!? Didn't make me feel good at all. I'm anticipating a reject, since that would be way too late for an admitted student event?

Edit: the coordinator said all decisions have yet to go out, so I guess they haven't even sent out acceptances yet?

Edited by blerggggg

10 hours ago, michigan girl said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Ph.D. programs?

I have radio silence on my end with no updates on my remaining applications. 

I am still waiting for JHU. However, I am just waiting for them to send me a rejection, similar to what I did with UCSB. 

14 hours ago, michigan girl said:

Still waiting for BU to send me a rejection letter, that's my only outstanding app. And I would expect to get it this week, based on past years.

What programs have you not heard from?

14 hours ago, michigan girl said:

i'm waiting on cwru who hasn't sent out any decisions yet, then i'm waiting on maryland, virginia, and boston to send out my official rejections!

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone who received a Brandeis offer does not plan on accepting it? I am the waitlist from the results page (also auto-fill on my phone typed admittance rather than admissions so please ignore that mistake lol). If you could let me know whenever you get the chance I really would appreciate it! Thanks so much!!

6 hours ago, zh_awk said:

Anyone get a rejection from UPenn yet? I'm getting so impatient to get an official response so that I can move on with my life and know for sure that I'm out of the running for them!

I (and one or two others it seems) emailed the program and received our rejections that way. You may want to do the same?

Just now, ThanksgivingScooby said:

I (and one or two others it seems) emailed the program and received our rejections that way. You may want to do the same?

I noticed that from an earlier comment and actually sent an email to them this morning! Thanks!! Hoping they get back to me soon so that I'm taken out of this misery haha ugh

14 hours ago, Planted said:

Does anyone know when UMass Amherst's visit day/open house is? I'm waitlisted there, just curious when admitted folks might start making decisions.

There will be an online session on March 22nd, so maybe after that. Best of Luck!