2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

I decided to start this thread as I am beginning the process of applying to (mostly) Sociology PhD programs for Fall 2023!

Edited by SportySpice
Update!

• SportySpice changed the title to 2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

Hey! Thanks for starting this thread, I was dying for the upcoming cycle thread to get started, haha. Sportyspice, what kind of sociology/program are you interested in? I’m largely interested in biomedicalization, gender and sexuality, bioethics and discourse analysis and I’m looking at Princeton, Yale, NYU, CUNY and Rutgers. Sending good vibes out for app season! 

Not applying this cycle, but wanted to wish everyone good luck! Always feel free to reach out if you have questions about the app process or want someone to scan over an SOP or something. Also happy to answer questions about NSF or UCI. ❤️

I know nothing and nor do I pretend to know anything, I'm asking just out of curiosity as I mentor college students of academic career pathways. One of my best friends is a Sociology PhD on his 5th postdoc (yes 5th - no joke), and he was telling me that the Sociology discipline faces 3 problems in America:

1. Oversaturation of interest (stories of applying for tenure track positions in R2s just to hear that there are 50+ or 100+ better applicants. 
2. Decreasing money to fund research for sociology at large
3. A philosophical civil war that is dividing faculty and PhDs (basically those that put primacy on individual identify vs those that emphasize class or collective economic well-being... sorry if I'm hitting in broad strokes as I'm sure its is more complicated than that) and have scared away prospective PhDs who care about sociology angles that don't fit neatly in either camp to other disciplines (economics, history, public policy, political science, psychology, and etc.)

What sociology PhDs are doing now to avoid being stuck in Post-Doc or Adjunct hell if they want to stay in academia is apparently seek opportunities with business schools, leadership institutes, and ethics programs. 

Again, just the view conveyed from one Sociology PhD from a top 35 ranked sociology program (per US News) who went to an ivy for undergrad. 

Could someone give me a fair shake about what is accurate, less accurate, and dead wrong about what has been conveyed to me? 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

On 8/10/2022 at 8:12 PM, anxiousbutalive said:

Jesus, have the applications started yet? Don't the processes start in September? 

Yes, the process starts in the fall, but there is little change (if any) year-to-year on what programs ask for. It is not unheard of for somebody to begin writing personal statement drafts during the summer, especially if they are in school and have no classes during this time. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:02 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

Could someone give me a fair shake about what is accurate, less accurate, and dead wrong about what has been conveyed to me? 

I'd say 1 and 2 are accurate. Lots of people want to get a sociology PhD and tenure-track jobs are becoming less frequent over time as universities will close tenure lines when somebody retires or leaves. As for the 3rd point, this is always a problem with sociology: We're just such a giant field that there will forever be battles between conflicting views. I don't think it is necessarily a negative, though. I haven't heard any stories of individualists vs collectivists, though this doesn't mean they don't happen. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2022 at 8:13 PM, cappuccino336 said:

Hey! Thanks for starting this thread, I was dying for the upcoming cycle thread to get started, haha. Sportyspice, what kind of sociology/program are you interested in? I’m largely interested in biomedicalization, gender and sexuality, bioethics and discourse analysis and I’m looking at Princeton, Yale, NYU, CUNY and Rutgers. Sending good vibes out for app season! 

Hey! I'm interested in gender and sexuality, sports studies, kinship, and migration. I'm looking at USF, Columbia, UMich, and then Emory for WGSS. Good luck to you!

Edited by SportySpice

On 8/21/2022 at 7:12 PM, SportySpice said:

Hey! I'm interested in gender and sexuality, sports studies, kinship, and migration. I'm looking at USF, Columbia, UMich, and then Emory for WGSS. Good luck to you!

I just graduated Columbia GS (undergrad), if you have any general questions about the campus or some sociology faculty i know, feel free to ask!