2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

10 hours ago, letsgetit21 said:

Ooo that's a good idea. Especially not to waste valuable space. At least we got it in there! My research interests are in soc of higher ed (specifically social experiences in grad admissions), so I was able to cite a some studies about what the GRE measures - in theory - vs what committees use it for vs what it ends up measuring in the process. As a little trinket of hope they don't pay attention to mine..

The only work I’m familiar with is Posselt, where else would you suggest I explore? Soc of ed is not my area by far, but was largely focused in my undergrad curriculum… when I have brought up posselt’s work to people (faculty of different disciplines on Reddit lol) recently, they have suggested it is out of date and does not reflect the nature of grad admissions today (they basically felt spited by Posselt and think it’s way more judicious and less slighted to GRE and social biases now.) Is there any more current work you might suggest? 

41 minutes ago, ayitao said:

This just feels like torture. Applicants in other disciplines have started to hear back but not sociology

If you take a look at the results page, you'll realize that sociology programs usually start to communicate in late January. So, I wouldn't be worried until a couple of more weeks. 

8 hours ago, cappuccino336 said:

The only work I’m familiar with is Posselt, where else would you suggest I explore? Soc of ed is not my area by far, but was largely focused in my undergrad curriculum… when I have brought up posselt’s work to people (faculty of different disciplines on Reddit lol) recently, they have suggested it is out of date and does not reflect the nature of grad admissions today (they basically felt spited by Posselt and think it’s way more judicious and less slighted to GRE and social biases now.) Is there any more current work you might suggest? 

If you're looking for work on graduate admissions specifically, Posselt's book is the best resource. I've included some good citations here, too (in no particular format -- I also dont include links, as previous posts of mine with links got removed):

Posselt & Grodsky. 2017. Graduate education and social stratification. Annual Review of Sociology 

Posselt. 2016. Inside graduate admissions: Merit, diversity, and faculty gatekeeping. Boston, MA:Harvard University Press

Woo et al. 2022. Bias, Fairness, and Validity in Graduate-School Admissions: A Psychometric Perspective. Perspectives of Psychological Science 

Pieper & Krsmanovic. In press. Journal of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies 

These are a couple of key and couple of recent articles to check out! If you're interested in a discussion of the GRE, specifically, see the Woo et al article. If you want evidence that grad admissions are socially constructed and not predictable, see any of the others! :) 

1 hour ago, anxiousbutalive said:

If you take a look at the results page, you'll realize that sociology programs usually start to communicate in late January. So, I wouldn't be worried until a couple of more weeks. 

Thanks for the reassurance. And yes while I do understand that the bulk of decisions are made at least in late Jan, I still couldn't stop being worried. I guess I'm just hopeless lol

4 minutes ago, cappuccino336 said:

Congrats!!! I know you are a reapplicant, do you have any experience with Rutgers from a previous cycle? 

I actually didn't apply to Rutgers previously, so I'm afraid not. I did also notice the email wasn't from a potential advisor I listed, although their research does fit mine to an extent. I wonder if they're just sending all invites out from the same individual (initials are A.S.). 

Just now, saffasrass said:

I actually didn't apply to Rutgers previously, so I'm afraid not. I did also notice the email wasn't from a potential advisor I listed, although their research does fit mine to an extent. I wonder if they're just sending all invites out from the same individual (initials are A.S.). 

Yes, same initials, also not faculty I listed. My assumption is they are on the admissions committee. Now I am not sure how to approach or prepare for the interview, and I am unbelievably nervous. Feeling like a fish out of water. 

1 minute ago, cappuccino336 said:

Yes, same initials, also not faculty I listed. My assumption is they are on the admissions committee. Now I am not sure how to approach or prepare for the interview, and I am unbelievably nervous. Feeling like a fish out of water. 

I did interview at other programs previously, so I have some sense for what to expect -- but also both of those schools treated interviews differently. They were both very informal, however, and we spent most of the time discussing my research interests and how they'd fit with the department/my potential advisors. I say definitely don't overthink it, and just make sure you have a few questions you'd like to ask in addition to being prepared to discuss anything and everything in your SOP/other application material.

3 minutes ago, saffasrass said:

I did interview at other programs previously, so I have some sense for what to expect -- but also both of those schools treated interviews differently. They were both very informal, however, and we spent most of the time discussing my research interests and how they'd fit with the department/my potential advisors. I say definitely don't overthink it, and just make sure you have a few questions you'd like to ask in addition to being prepared to discuss anything and everything in your SOP/other application material.

Thank you, I appreciate you offering advice. Guess i've got some reviewing to do! 

8 hours ago, tryingmybest123 said:

I just saw in results that someone was accepted at UNC Chapel Hill, does anyone have any info?  Chapel Hill sends all the acceptances together? I am freaking out

It could be trolling, but previous results do show UNC Chapel Hill tends to send out acceptances in late January. If there's not another acceptance posted in the next day or two, I'd say it's likely fake. Don't give up hope!

16 minutes ago, Theadora said:

I just FEEL like U Chicago is going to send out interview invitations today. I have no basis for this thought. But all of my school results historically come in February, but U Chicago usually does interviews around now and I'm so hungry for some crumb of information. 

Yeah I keep checking my email when I wake up hoping I'll have an interview request. I wonder if they're having to figure out some things administratively about how many spots they'll have with a potential union being formed and an increase in stipends.

Edited by saffasrass

4 hours ago, Theadora said:

I just FEEL like U Chicago is going to send out interview invitations today. I have no basis for this thought. But all of my school results historically come in February, but U Chicago usually does interviews around now and I'm so hungry for some crumb of information. 

I'm anxious about U Chicago's interview requests too! It seems they are taking longer this year I don't know if its me being paranoid or what 

24 minutes ago, ayitao said:

Is U chicago actually going to invite people for interviews? I'm out of my mind already

A lot of programs seem to be working a bit slower than last year already, which is interesting to see.

I'm mostly worried that some departments will be taking smaller cohorts since they're still dealing with the small 2021/Covid cohorts and then (sometimes) large 2022 ones, as well as potential funding concerns with all the talks of a recession looming.

15 minutes ago, saffasrass said:

A lot of programs seem to be working a bit slower than last year already, which is interesting to see.

I'm mostly worried that some departments will be taking smaller cohorts since they're still dealing with the small 2021/Covid cohorts and then (sometimes) large 2022 ones, as well as potential funding concerns with all the talks of a recession looming.

To make cuts to already less than generous admission rates... I don't know what to expect honestly 

5 hours ago, saffasrass said:

FYI, I have heard that UCI is taking a smaller cohort this year, though I don't know the exact size. (But they're funding those people better than they funded people when they admitted larger cohorts, though I know that's not comforting for everyone waiting.)

While the notion of programs taking smaller cohorts is terrifying as an individual in this particular moment of waiting, better stipends/support for those individuals seems to be ethically the right choice and what I would want if I were accepted. But the fact that these changes are potentially slowing results down is pure torture.